Was the co-creator of Spider-Man on the spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 3:03 pm

No, not Stan Lee. I'm talking about Spider-Man's other, lesser known parent: Steve Ditko. While Stan Lee was credited as the writer, it was Steve Ditko who drew the comics. He also contributed to the plotting.

In addition to Spider-Man, Ditko is also credited with creating or co-creating Doctor Strange, The Creeper, The Question, Captain Atom, the modern Blue Beetle, Hawk and Dove, Mister A, and others. He has also contributed to characters like Iron Man and the Hulk.

In Search of Steve Ditko (BBC)

Ditko is known for being a recluse. Unlike Stan, he always avoided the limelight and preferred privacy and solitude. He never granted interviews or had any interactions with the public. He did not get along the best with Stan, which he attributed to how Stan treated him and how he was never given sufficient credit for his work at Marvel. He quit from Marvel after roughly 30 issues of Spider-Man.

In those early comics, I feel that Peter Parker/Spider-Man himself exhibited signs of being on the spectrum. He was highly gifted intellectually and did very well at his school work, but did not have any friends and was constantly ridiculed and bullied by his classmates. A girl showed constant interest in getting to know him that he was oblivious to. Once Peter graduated from high school and started attending college, his new classmates attempted to socialize with him but felt snubbed when he was constantly distracted. As Spider-Man, he made a number of mistakes like attacking hoods before they committed any crime or mistaking a movie shoot for an actual robbery. And once Ditko departed as the artist on the comic, Peter Parker became much more competent socially.

Ditko was also known for his fixation on Ayn Rand's Objectivism's philosophy. Ditko has a very black-and-white view of the world, in which a person and their action were good or evil and received their just deserts accordingly. This philosophy was exemplified in his character Mister A, who dished out harsh punishment for those he deemed guilty.

It is hard to be certain regarding a man from his reputation alone. But what do you all think?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 9:57 pm

Maybe.

AliceCooper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2021, 12:29 pm

Yes, I do think he had it. Weeks ago, I brought him up in another thread because Steve had all the signs from his love of Ayn Rand books that many myself included related to her, books to his reclusiveness to his intelligence.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 3:39 pm

AliceCooper wrote:
Yes, I do think he had it. Weeks ago, I brought him up in another thread because Steve had all the signs from his love of Ayn Rand books that many myself included related to her, books to his reclusiveness to his intelligence.

Are there many aspies that are proponents of Objectivism? I myself do not like it very much. What caught my attention about Ditko was the intensity of his fixation on Rand moreso the subject of that fixation.

AliceCooper

19 Oct 2021, 10:32 pm

dorkseid wrote:
AliceCooper wrote:

Are there many aspies that are proponents of Objectivism? I myself do not like it very much. What caught my attention about Ditko was the intensity of his fixation on Rand moreso the subject of that fixation.

Howard Roark had Aspie traits, so I was attracted to her novels. Most of the people I know who are more libertarian-leaning republicans are fellow Aspies. Some of her fans had the characteristics you mentioned. Steve Ditko. In the spirit of Halloween Church Of Satan, founder Anton LeVay had Aspie traits and got influenced by Ayn Rand, who had the qualities herself.

https://veridici.com/ayn-rand-had-aspergers-syndrome/[url]https://

https://www.quora.com/Do-Ayn-Rands-Hero-Archetypes-Hank-Rearden-and-Howard-Roark-present-sufficient-attributes-of-Aspergers-to-be-likely-candidates-for-that-diagnosis
https://satanthinks.com/2018/11/satan-thinks-that-anton-lavey-has-aspergers-syndrome/