Do people have a problem with someone being double-masked ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:43 pm

Since being back at work since April I have been double masking and have continued to even when restrictions were lifted in July because going out at the moment without a mask among other people I don't know makes me anxious and the virus is more transmissible than last year and I remember people were recommended double-masking but people continue to just wear one mask. I feel it just gives me some kind of comfort but I do seem to feel like I'm the only one where I live who double-masks, most people I've seen just wear one mask or none at all and I seem to think some people think it is weird for me to do so. I remember someone talking someone behind me in a queue whispering ''look he's wearing two masks.'' Its as though they think I'm being too overly careful or get the impression that I must hate going out and must wear one at all times when going out.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:47 pm

There's people who have problems with practically everything you can imagine.

I'm sure there's people who might not be supportive of your choice to double-mask but they're probably not very common.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:38 pm

I've seen people occasionally have two masks on. I think like funeralxempire said that there are people who potentially can have problems with anything someone can do. If it makes you comfortable and protects you I'd keep doing it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2021, 1:08 am

I have no problem with someone wearing two masks if they don't try to push wearing double masks onto me or others. If they respect my decision not to then I have very little reason to pay attention & care about what they chose to do.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:36 am

No. I only have a problem with people being zero masked.

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 2:34 am

I am in a different part of the UK to you, but I have not heard of or seen people wearing two masks before. Maybe it is similar where you live and people are more curious about it than critical? That is probably what my reaction would be. My curiosity is one of the things I have to reign in a bit as it can be taken as being rude to others, though I don’t intend it in that way. You have every right to wear two masks if you want to. I hope that others around you respect that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 5:18 am

I wore 4 masks the other week when I went to a house where the people that lived there was recovering from a stomach flu. I'm more scared of catching a vomiting virus than I am of catching covid, but I just made out I wanted to protect them from covid by putting 4 masks on.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2021, 6:24 am

Joe90 wrote:
I wore 4 masks the other week when I went to a house where the people that lived there was recovering from a stomach flu. I'm more scared of catching a vomiting virus than I am of catching covid, but I just made out I wanted to protect them from covid by putting 4 masks on.
I'm certain that you decided for yourself to wear 4 masks & you never told them that they needed to wear 4 as well. I believe that we should all take some responsibility for our own health, especially since the guidelines & rules keep changing. All we can reasonably have any control over is ourselves. I have no problem with you or anyone else deciding to wear 4 masks & I have no problem with somebody chosing to wear no masks as long as neither you nor them pushes that philosophy on me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:51 pm

I wear two,a N95 with a cloth one over it.
I haven’t been harassed by anyone for my choice even with all the naked faces around town.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 1:11 pm

I seem to think that some people will get the impression that I must extremely paranoid when I'm wearing two masks when I'm out in public but I'm wearing for my own comfort because what we know about the virus makes me worried and anxious but I've not gone to the extreme that some people have done like for example, my sister told me of a guy who lives near her goes wearing some of kind of suit when he goes out and wears a gas mask and sanitises it when he goes out and comes back again much like someone who works with radiation does where they clean them after being contaminated.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:02 pm

At the first of the pandemic I would take my outer clothes and shoes off before entering my house.I could do this because I have no neighbors in sight.
Then I washed my hands extra and wiped everything I brought home off with Lysol.
Now I just wear double mask, hand wash and use sanitizer.Wipe down stuff that I will use right away and that goes in the fridge. Still remove those outer layers of clothes ,but in the bathroom.I still take the shoes off outside because we have lots of people that dip and they spit everywhere.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 8:02 am

I still as I have said before in another thread find it hard to accept when some people say ''we have to learn to live with this'' but how can we learn to live it when virus kills more people than flu, is more contagious, and can make more people ill to the point where health services struggle with it much worse than during flu seasons in winter ?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 1:46 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I still as I have said before in another thread find it hard to accept when some people say ''we have to learn to live with this'' but how can we learn to live it when virus kills more people than flu, is more contagious, and can make more people ill to the point where health services struggle with it much worse than during flu seasons in winter ?

The vaccines should lower the risks of people getting really ill from covid, to the point where the risks are just as low as any other disease or injury.
For example, everyone is at some risk of getting sepsis and dying from a cut, the chance is lower in healthy, young people, and a tetanus shot should lower the risk of anyone from dying from a blood disease from a cut but still people die every year from blood-related diseases even if they've had vaccines to lower the risk.

So if you look at it that way then you'd know that we do have to live with the virus now that we have vaccines, and we can't spend the rest of our lives hiding away.
I mean, catching a fox and locking him up in a cage will probably make you feel like you are protecting him from all the predators out there, but really the fox will probably get unhappy and would rather have his freedom even if there is the threat of being killed by predators. However, a domestic animal is different because they are bred to be domestic and have less chance of surviving or emotionally coping out in the wild.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:08 pm

We have to learn to live with this. We have no choice.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 8:23 am

But it just seems like the risk with this virus is more widespread and more likely now than the other risks we are used to when there isn't a pandemic or epidemic going on (for example, being run over by a car, falling down the stairs etc). It just feels like there is always a tiger outside waiting and walking up and down waiting for the next meal (which is you).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 7:55 pm

I wear two masks, but I don't leave the house enough for anyone to notice.
One of my friends got me some KN95 masks, but the "one size fits all" straps are fitted for people with tiny, neurotypical skulls. So I wear a KN95 without the straps on, and then use a cloth mask over it to hold it in place. Much more comfortable.

chris1989 wrote:
...I remember people were recommended double-masking but people continue to just wear one mask.

Weird. Where I live, almost nobody wears masks anymore. You'd think my state wasn't having an average of 3500 cases per day.

chris1989 wrote:
I still as I have said before in another thread find it hard to accept when some people say ''we have to learn to live with this'...

Eventually, a good portion of the people who spread the misinformation and who spread the virus itself will be gone.
Hopefully, the virus will mutate into something that's easier to manage.
I'd like to think that medicine will come up with working treatments for Long Haul Covid, but I'm losing faith on that idea.
You never know, they might even come up with a better vaccine.