California becomes first state with gender neutral toy law

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:10 pm

Gender-neutral toy sections to be required in California stores

Quote:
Large stores in California will be required to create a section for gender-neutral children's toys.

Gov. Newsom signed a bill into law Saturday that orders stores with at least 500 employees to maintain gender-neutral sections. The requirement is the first of its kind in the United States, the Associated Press reported.

The law does not ban the display of boys and girls sections. Instead, it calls for the addition of the gender-neutral area.

It only applies to toys and childcare products, not clothing. Because of the 500-employee threshold, small businesses are exempt.

The law takes effect in 2024 and is a step towards expanding the way people approach shopping by identifying products in ways other than the binary options of male and female.

The legislation was sponsored by Assemblyman Evan Low (D-San Jose) who told the Associated Press that he was inspired by the 10-year-old daughter of a staffer who wanted to know why some products were off-limits to her.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:25 pm

Poor kids. :? Now the parents will be pressuring them into being gender neutral instead.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:32 pm

They should have just made it so toys aren't able to be branded towards specific genders. I've always found that incredibly stupid. It's just an excuse to have different versions of the same toy with one (I noticed usually the "girls" version) being more expensive.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:35 pm

From February last year:

Quote:
California Bill Prohibits Stores From Selling Toys That Don’t Actively Confuse Children’s Sexuality

SACRAMENTO, CA—California legislators have recently proposed a bill forcing department store owners to only sell toys that actively set out to confuse children on their sexuality and gender.

The law will ensure no more anti-science “boy aisles” or “girl aisles” like the ones used in deplorable states. Now shoppers can search the entire store before finding the gender nonconforming toy that is right for them.

“In these critical and formative years of a child’s development they need to be exposed to confusing and downright bizarre depictions of other males and females,” said Governor Gavin Newsom. “The science is settled and we all know that children are in no way impressionable or disproportionately influenced by the toys they see.”

The goal is to take perfectly happy, healthy children and cause them to wonder if their sex is really right for them. Lawmakers hope to finally replace thousands of years of understood biology and replace it with ever changing progressive ideas on sexuality and gender.

This change will even apply to toys that have traditionally targeted one gender for decades and put an end to reinforcing harmful norms created by the patriarchy. “If they want their toys sold here then they are simply going to have to create something that makes kids unsure of their identity,” said local store owner Preston Leslie who’s enthusiastic about the change. “It’s time for some fresh, ambiguously gendered toys that can help kids express themselves and destroy their worldview.”

The following are currently on the approved toy list:

Mustache Barbie
Lightning McDragQueen
Bikini Rambo
Mr. & Mr. Potato Head
Furby
Qui-Gon Gender & Non-Binary C-3PO
Princess Charming
Iron Person & Spiderthey

“I’m proud to be a part of this historic change that will undoubtedly improve the mental health of our children,” added Governor Newsom.

At publishing time, it was reported that store owners failing to comply will be sent directly to sexuality reeducation camps.

Source: https://babylonbee.com/news/california-bill-prohibits-stores-from-selling-toys-that-dont-actively-confuse-childrens-sexuality/

For those who require\desire this information, the above was written as a satirical article at the time it was initially published.

Last edited by Brictoria on 11 Oct 2021, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:44 pm

Places have been doing this for years, there is no longer the boys and girls section, instead it is just the toy section. I see Barbies and dolls and Polly Pockets and other things and the Lego section and action figures, the baby toys and toddler toys and puzzles and board games.

I haven't seen anything being labeled as boy or girl in a very long time, not since the 2000s anyway. Even McDonalds doesn't do it, instead they label their toys by their names now. "Barbie or Marvel."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Places have been doing this for years, there is no longer the boys and girls section, instead it is just the toy section. I see Barbies and dolls and Polly Pockets and other things and the Lego section and action figures, the baby toys and toddler toys and puzzles and board games.

I haven't seen anything being labeled as boy or girl in a very long time, not since the 2000s anyway. Even McDonalds doesn't do it, instead they label their toys by their names now. "Barbie or Marvel."

This is slightly off topic, but I've noticed that even toy commercials will have at least one boy/girl in ones that would before only have girls or boys, like Baby Alive doll commercials with boys. I kind of like that change because it shows boys and girls playing together in them. I know when I was a kid sometimes kids would refuse to play with kids of the other gender, so maybe that'll make it a bit more normal. lol

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

I have only noticed toys being organized by types of toys (dolls in one section, board games in another, toy cars in another)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:33 am

Happy to hear most stores no longer have separate sections (something they've chosen, that has nothing to do with forcing it by law). The separate sections were forcing stereotypes that didn't really need to exist. There is a theory that the gendered sections are a big reason why boys dominate in computers. Per the theory, stores had to pick which department computer games, etc. went into, and choose the boys, effectively steering girls away. Kids (or parents) often worry about fitting in or getting teased, and can be influenced against a toy by seeing it labeled for the other gender. The whole things was so completely artificial, with no rhyme or reason besides a store's opinion.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 12 Oct 2021, 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:45 am

I think the onus should be on media advertisements rather than the toy shops themselves. In my opinion the problem is when advertisers only show girls playing with dolls (also with pink sparkly colours and words like "love", or "mommy" or "sweet"). That reinforces that girls play with dolls, girls are represented by pink, girls like sparkly things, girls use gentle words, and girls become parents.

In contrast advertisers show boys with toy cars (etc). The colours are blue, black, and red. They use words like "bigger, faster, stronger" or emphasis competition and action. Kids learn that boys = blue or dark colours. Their interests are based on competition. Boys don't grow up to be parents (I never understood that logic, because babies all have a bio mother and a bio father).

Translate this into a toy shop display. The pink stuff is automatically perceived as the girls' section, and the trucks, action figures or blue/red/black things are generally perceived as boys' toys. We were conditioned to believe this by advertisers.

We all know that's rubbish. Pink doesn't mean girl. Blue doesn't mean boy. Boys grow up to be fathers. Some girls don't grow up to be mothers. Everyone cooks and eats but the "Easy Bake Oven" toys are only marketed toward girls. In the real world it shouldn't matter if all the pink stuff is displayed together for aesthetic appeal or visual merchandising, because we should all know that colour or toy type has nothing to do with sex / gender. It's the marketing campaigns which try to brainwash children otherwise.

All toys are gender neutral already in my opinion. I don't think of girls when I see dolls and I don't think of boys when I see trucks. I don't associate pink with girls or blue with boys. My brain doesn't need a specific section trying to find a middleground, because I don't let the ad execs dictate how I think about toys. I really wish the advertising would change, although the stores can display products however they'd like (in my opinion).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:49 am

Dumb.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:56 am

there will always be someone dumber than the next law

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 8:30 am

Gotta start that social engineering early.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:50 am

Why not just have a Toy section with all the toys and not divide it by gender at all?

Adding the third gender neutral section seems a little useless and maybe even a bit confusing, not sure exactly what that is supposed to help.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why not just have a Toy section with all the toys and not divide it by gender at all?

Adding the third gender neutral section seems a little useless and maybe even a bit confusing, not sure exactly what that is supposed to help.

This.

All toys are gender neutral; my little brother didn't end up gender non-conforming because of his kitchen set and fetishizing weapons didn't cause me to grow up more gender conforming.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2021, 10:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Exactly. Would this option be in accordance to this law? Because that would be the best and least confusing option.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:59 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

This.

All toys are gender neutral; my little brother didn't end up gender non-conforming because of his kitchen set and fetishizing weapons didn't cause me to grow up more gender conforming.

That's exactly what I was saying. All toys are already gender-neutral if it weren't for advertisers trying to convince us otherwise. Boys might be fathers one day and they can practice taking care of dolls. Girls will drive trucks and play sports. Everyone will cook. Anyone can bounce a ball or use a telescope. Colours don't mean anything in terms of gender. It's only the advertisers who want us to think otherwise.

I think stores have a right to display their merch in ways that are attractive (arranged by colour or theme), so I don't think they're doing anything wrong.

I think it's just public perception and advertising that needs to change.