Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 7:53 am

Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Western Civilization is DOOMED!

Doctor Sowell is one of the wisest men in the country. Too bad so few have heard of him or have read his books.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 8:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
That the local surrounding community in Long Island is going to form a lynch mob to attack the theater?
In order for an entire show to be cancelled there must be some risk to the cast members. It may be also possible the cast showed solidarity with the cast member experiencing a racist incident.
I wonder if an audit of the accounting ledger might reveal the real reason for the show's cancellation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:14 am

I've read Sowell. He's a smart guy, a conservative. He makes lots of sense at times.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 11:25 am

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
That the local surrounding community in Long Island is going to form a lynch mob to attack the theater?
In order for an entire show to be cancelled there must be some risk to the cast members. It may be also possible the cast showed solidarity with the cast member experiencing a racist incident.
I wonder if an audit of the accounting ledger might reveal the real reason for the show's cancellation.

cyberdad wrote:

Only that nights show was cancelled. They resume tonight. My quess is showing solidarity.

I think everybody is making a mountain out of a molehill. We are only talking about this due to the political climate at the moment. On occasion walking the streets of Long Island over the years random people driving by yell stuff at me. A few times I have had beer cans and bottles tossed at me. There were no anti-semitic slurs because they had no way of knowing I am Jewish. If I was black I’m sure I would have been called the N-Word. Most of these people wanted to see me jump and sometimes they got their wish.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 13 Oct 2021, 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 11:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Only that nights show was cancelled. They resume tonight.
Golly ... In that case, I do hope that reporting an alleged "hate crime" was not just some cheap publicity stunt!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 11:53 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Golly ... In that case, I do hope that reporting an alleged "hate crime" was not just some cheap publicity stunt!

The possibility of staged incident to gain sympathy ticket sales crossed my mind but if I posted that sans evidence I would be conspiracy theory mongering and we don’t want that do we?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The possibility of staged incident to gain sympathy ticket sales crossed my mind but if I posted that sans evidence I would be conspiracy theory mongering and we don’t want that do we?
Oh, heavens no!  We would not want any conspiracy theory mongering on WrongPlanet!  Why, what would people think of us aspies if we all started flinging around unproveable stories like a collection of Jussie Smollet wannabies?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 6:10 pm

So does anyone know if the Wed night show went off without a hitch?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 8:30 pm

It is Wednesday night on Long Island as I post this and the show is underway.
The show goes on in Northport, with audience and cast in solidarity
Behind a paywall

Quote:
The bouncy rhythms of a long-running Broadway musical revue returned to the stage in Northport on Wednesday night with actors and audience in a joyful but defiant mood.

That Sunday night incident stunned the cast and the community but also served as an opportunity for a village that is about 92% white and 2% Black to make a statement against racism.

Based on the crowd lined up outside the Main Street theater before the curtain call, the community used the opportunity.

A local advocacy group urged Northport's community to sell out the performance as a show of solidarity with the performers, and all proceeds from Wednesday night's show will go to a charitable cause chosen by the cast.

Outside the theater Wednesday night, signs of unity with the cast and crew, including "We Support You," greeted the customers. Several people waiting in line for tickets wore T-shirts with "We Stand Together" written across the front.

The slur that led to the outpouring remained under investigation, Northport police said but they provided no updates.

While not commonplace in Northport, with its quaint cluster of restaurants, bars and gift shops downtown, there have been other recent incidents of hatred and bigotry.

In August, a swastika was found etched onto a playground slide at Ocean Avenue Elementary School. The graffiti was discovered by a school district parent. The school district filed a police report on the vandalism, which appeared to be an isolated incident, authorities said.

Recently, a swastika was visible during a protest outside the Northport home of Northwell Health's CEO.

The swastika at the elementary school spurred advocates into action. The Northport chapter of Not In Our Town (NOIT), a national organization working to stop bigotry and hate crimes, has organized book drives, fundraisers, lectures and more events since then.

"We were not happy with the response from the town," Meghan Saporita, an attorney and a founding member of the Northport chapter, said Tuesday when she announced an effort to urge the community to sell out Wednesday night's performance.

By about 6 p.m., 271 seats for the 8 p.m. performance had been sold in a theater that seats 400, O’Neill said.

Saporita, who planned to attend the show, said her group met with village Mayor Damon McMullen on Monday to "light a fire under local leaders, officials in this town to take steps to create a culture that says ‘these acts are not welcomed here.’ "

On Monday, McMullen and trustees Tom Kehoe, Ian Milligan and Dave Weber issued a joint statement condemning use of the racist slur as well as the other recent hate-fueled incidents

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 3:12 am

A local advocacy group urged Northport's community to sell out the performance as a show of solidarity with the performers, and all proceeds from Wednesday night's show will go to a charitable cause chosen by the cast.

Outside the theater Wednesday night, signs of unity with the cast and crew, including "We Support You," greeted the customers. Several people waiting in line for tickets wore T-shirts with "We Stand Together" written across the front.

Well looks like the threat to cancel has improved community relations and maybe the police might mop up any klan/skinhead types lurking in this neighborhood.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 8:41 am

A previously unknown theatre production experiences a sudden surge in attendance the day after an alleged (and unproven) report of racial harassment of one of the actors appears in the news media.

What an amazing coincidence!

:wink: (Even though correlation does not imply causation, it does occasionally waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing the words "look over there".)