Can anyone help me pronounce these words?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 11:25 pm

Technic1 wrote:
If it doesn’t work I wish to find out for myself.

I believe invisible people all around us, invisible government?

Well... keep us all posted.

If it doesnt work tell us. But I am sure it will work.

But watch out for folks trying to throw buckets of paint on you. :lol:

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2021, 11:38 pm

Thank you for making me get this earworm. Good memories.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 5:49 pm

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 9:21 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Stabbon, Asen, Gabellum, Saneney, Noty, Enobal, Labonerem, Balametem, Balnon, Tygumel, Millegaly, Juneneis, Hearma, Hamorache, Yesa, Seya, Senoy, Henen, Barucatha, Acararas, Taracub, Bucarat, Caramy

Thank you…?

I looked up the Grimorium, it's from the 18th century. So modern German should be fine.
Stabbon - Stah-bon (the ah is actually short, but open like... well, "ah")
Asen - Ah-zen
Gabellum -Gah-bellum
Saneney - Well, here it gets complicated, because this is clearly not of German origin, but neither is Gabellum. But Gabellum sounds Latin, and it's easy to pronounce Latin with a German accent, but this is unclear. Possibly Sah-neh-nigh
Noty - the O would be pronounced with round-shaped lips, like the O at the beginning of Order in British English. Actually, this word would sound almost exactly like naughty in the most ridiculous fake British you could muster up.
Noh-ty, with a long O
Enobal - Eh -noh- bahl - all Vowels are short, but open
Labonerem - Lah-boh-neh-rem (with a rhotic r)
Balametem - bah-lah-meh-tem the meh as in America, flat, not with the downward inflection of "meh"¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Balnon - Bahl (a is short, flat, open)- non
Tygumel - uhm. this has a sound in i that doesn't really exist in english. the German ü. or the French ue in Rue. othe then that: Tü - goo -mehl (eh, long, flat, as in America, not like meh)
Millegaly - Mille as in millenium gah- ly
Juneneis -Yoo -neh(short)-neh(long)-is
Hearma - Heh-ahrma
Hamorache -Hah-mo (as in more)-rah -che (the ch as in the Scottish Loch)
Yesa -Yeh(long)-ssa (unvoiced s)
Seya - Seh (long, flat) -yah
Senoy - Seh (long, flat) noy
Henen - Heh (long, flat) nen
Barucatha - Bah-roo-kah-tah
Acararas - Ah-kah-rah-ras
Taracub -Tah-rah-coob (short oo)
Bucarath -Buh-kah-rah-t
Caramy -kah-rah-me

none of these words are remotely German, but wikipedia says the grimoire claims to have been written in 1517 by an Egyptian, so it's likely these are all made up anyway, or at least poorly transliterated from whatever Language they come from. Except Asen - that is also the name of a Nordic lineage of Gods, so might claim nordic origin. The old germanic gods and the nordic gods are the same, you know, Thor, Odin and so on, thpugh they have undergone some name-switching throughout the centuries.
Have fun conjuring the Army of Darkness, Klaatu Verata Nektu and all

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2021, 2:27 am

If it's for a spell then it really doesn't matter how it's pronounced. The only person listening is you.
Beware of magical thinking. It's a slippery slope.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 10:04 am

Technic1 wrote:
Latin I think?

Very few Latin elements, if any, in these 'words'!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:38 pm

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
If it's for a spell then it really doesn't matter how it's pronounced. The only person listening is you.
Beware of magical thinking. It's a slippery slope.

I figured I let him find out by trying - I mean, you can't really convince someone just by telling them physics don't work like that. That's exactly what a muggle would say.

What does perplex me is how reluctant esotterics are to consider that there's no real definition of natural or supernatural anymore - for a hundred years now, "natural" has become weird beyond comprehension, and "supernatural" is merely the science we haven't discovered yet. There's a tremendous loss of human control in this - we can't even tell ourselves a story about the world anymore in which humans are of any importance neyond our subjective experience, reality turned out to be just so much more startling.
In a way, Lovecraft had it right, with his Ancient ones who exist oblivious amd careless about humans - only, the actual ancient ones are not even monsters (monsters are just huge ugly animals), but something about quarks and entanglement - somethkng wau, way more remote from humans and uncaring than gigantic space monsters.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 9:00 am

"Natural" events follow well-defined physical principles that require no deliberate intervention to occur.

"Supernatural" requires the deliberate intervention of angels, demons, ghosts, and gods for events to occur.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Natural" events follow well-defined physical principles that require no deliberate intervention to occur.

"Supernatural" requires the deliberate intervention of angels, demons, ghosts, and gods for events to occur.

that definition just makes the supernatural fictional, and the natural ... well, the stuff happening at the bottom and and the top end of the scale we know of is not following well defined principles - we haven't been able to define them yet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 11:30 pm

Well...

Any luck?

Have you vanished from your mirror yet?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Oct 2021, 1:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Any luck?

But what if instead of becoming invisible, he only catched vampirism?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 7:41 am

magz wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Any luck?

But what if instead of becoming invisible, he only catched vampirism?

Well...if you recite those magic words wrong you might indeed conjure up the wrong spell. And though vampires are visible, they dont cast reflections into mirrors. So yes...there is a remote possibility that you could shoot for invisibily and end up with vampirism, and not know the mistake because you looked in the mirror, and thought you got it right. But the odds of those two things both happening at the same time are nil. If you made a random mistake in black magic you would just turn yourself into a chicken, or sumpin like that. And it would be all to obvious. Or thats my theory.

Kinda like the joke about the guy in the bar with the grapefruit sized head.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2021, 8:09 pm

So I looked it up a little out of sheer curiosity and "supposedly" it's from the book of king Solomon, which means it's biblical hebrew not modern day conversational hebrew. I used to be decent in both but considering minor brain damage I have a hard with just spoken English some days. If you have the original text in Hebrew I maybe ...

That being said if its from the book of Solomon it's not something to be messed around with. I really wouldn't venture into saying spells without extensive research. Remember king Solomon could control demons, so don't go reciting a spell of his that you don't know the absolute consequences of.

The results are often completely different from your expectations. Many words mean different things, it's the reason rabbis debate for decades over certain passages to make sure they really understand the content. Hebrew is a math based language, it's more complex than it appears from the outside.

My point, I wouldn't advice attempting something you don't have a complete grasp of or knowledge about. Even king Solomon was outwitted by a demon. And he was someone powerful enough to build the temple in Jerusalem with an army of demons. Remember, his throne was taken over by a higher demon for decades. The demon ruled so well and justly no one knew they had switched places.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."