Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Also, wasn't there a joke about Superman ejaculating like a shotgun in Mallrats?

Idont know. Maybe thats what im thinking of, i watched that movie about 10 years ago and that other one "clerks". I know it definitely wouldn't be out of place dialogue is any one of those films .

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 2:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Folks have been whispering about...Batman and Robin being more than just friends for decades. Same with the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Its about time they brought it out into the open!

Vital for...truth, justice, and the American way!

Don't forget Bert and Ernie! They've been "room mates" for over 50 years!

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2021, 5:09 pm

Look, I'm not happy about the recent surge in making previously established characters LGBTQ+ and all that. Not only is it promoting a lifestyle that I believe goes against the laws of God, it feels phony. Like, if you're going to do it, at least do it earnestly. I have more respect for those who make LGBTQ+ characters because they believe that's what the world needs than those who slap the label onto existing characters to gain wokeness brownie points. *cough* Disney *cough*

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 5:57 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
First the change the sexuality of our favorite iconic characters, then they change the race, then the gender, etc.
Where does it stop?

I don’t know about stop but in the next series Lex Luther wears a MAGA hat and Superman has got to stop a new villain “Ok Boomer” who terrorizes the population with clueless microagressions. After victory the story ends with everybody having a group hug.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 6:22 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
First the change the sexuality of our favorite iconic characters, then they change the race, then the gender, etc.
Where does it stop?
I remember when they made Iceman gay. That didn't sell well and neither will this.
Stop pandering to the woke. They're not buying your comics and you alienate the people who do.

True.
All of the great franchises are pandering to people who are not their fans in order to appear inclusive. Star Wars, Star Trek , Doctor Who, Terminator, James Bond, I could go on, but all are now producing woke, unwatchable tripe that the fans hate.

Rumour has it that Indiana Jones may be joining this group as well...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 2:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not sure it's all because of stuff that triggers right-wingers (aka wokeness). A lot of the problem is that the stories they offer are formulaic and uninteresting. The problem isn't the window dressing, it's the window. They use those elements (see, we gotta girl hero now) in hopes that they'll distract from the fact that the series itself hasn't been interesting in over a decade.

Honest question; as someone who's at least a bit woke adjacent, does the pandering annoy you? I'm trying to figure out if it's a me thing or a people in general thing, but I really get offended by people clumsily trying to pander to me, it feels like my intelligence is being insulted, like I won't recognize the hackish attempt to hoodwink me. I think even conservatives would be less annoyed with a lot of this stuff if it weren't so hamfisted, "look at me, I'm a (insert trendy minority of the moment)! I have no other character traits besides my identity!", even liberals mock this stuff these days.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 6:54 am

Laeril wrote:
Look, I'm not happy about the recent surge in making previously established characters LGBTQ+ and all that. Not only is it promoting a lifestyle that I believe goes against the laws of God, it feels phony. Like, if you're going to do it, at least do it earnestly. I have more respect for those who make LGBTQ+ characters because they believe that's what the world needs than those who slap the label onto existing characters to gain wokeness brownie points. *cough* Disney *cough*

Well said. I totally agree!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 8:45 am

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not sure it's all because of stuff that triggers right-wingers (aka wokeness). A lot of the problem is that the stories they offer are formulaic and uninteresting. The problem isn't the window dressing, it's the window. They use those elements (see, we gotta girl hero now) in hopes that they'll distract from the fact that the series itself hasn't been interesting in over a decade.

Honest question; as someone who's at least a bit woke adjacent, does the pandering annoy you? I'm trying to figure out if it's a me thing or a people in general thing, but I really get offended by people clumsily trying to pander to me, it feels like my intelligence is being insulted, like I won't recognize the hackish attempt to hoodwink me. I think even conservatives would be less annoyed with a lot of this stuff if it weren't so hamfisted, "look at me, I'm a (insert trendy minority of the moment)! I have no other character traits besides my identity!", even liberals mock this stuff these days.

It would probably annoy me if I paid more attention to it but most of what comes out of Hollywood doesn't interest me and the pandering only reinforces my attitude that it's not worth my attention.

I'd worry the worst attempts might basically be exactly as you describe, where some of those characters really are defined by that one personality trait but I've gotta concede I'm not familiar enough with any of them to agree with or to dispute that take.

I've never had a long enough attention span for movies. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 8:48 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Folks have been whispering about...Batman and Robin being more than just friends for decades. Same with the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

They're an interesting case because the people who made the characters and Frank Oz disagree over the nature of that relationship. I'm not sure it matters since they're not depicted as having any sorta sexuality.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 8:55 am

To be honest, I never saw any sort of "romance" between Batman and Robin.

All I've seen is a mentor-student relationship.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 10:36 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

They're an interesting case because the people who made the characters and Frank Oz disagree over the nature of that relationship. I'm not sure it matters since they're not depicted as having any sorta sexuality.

Its a joke. Its been a joke for years. What makes it funny is how ludicrous it is for these practically asexual puppets who teach the alphabet to children to have any sort of sexual preference.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 10:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

The point is for the woke crowd to hijack any same sex relationship. I once read in TIME Magazine an author called Lord of the Rings a homoerotic adventure.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 10:51 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
... I once read in TIME Magazine an author called Lord of the Rings a homoerotic adventure.
If that author is correct, then every "Buddy Story" ever made contained implicit homoerotic content -- from Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn to Han Solo and Chewbacca and beyond.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The point is for the woke crowd to hijack any same sex relationship. I once read in TIME Magazine an author called Lord of the Rings a homoerotic adventure.

Homoromantic maybe, even if that wasn't the author's intent social norms had shifted enough that the Victorian notion of a romantic friendship Tolkien had in mind wasn't a familiar enough trope for his audience to understand.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 11:56 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Homoromantic maybe, even if that wasn't the author's intent social norms had shifted enough that the Victorian notion of a romantic friendship Tolkien had in mind wasn't a familiar enough trope for his audience to understand.

So you're agreeing with TIME? Even if Tolkien intended such a thing he did a horrible job of communicating the idea. Could it be that the author of the TIME article was just trying to stir the pot? Or just plain nuts?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 2:04 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

So you're agreeing with TIME? Even if Tolkien intended such a thing he did a horrible job of communicating the idea. Could it be that the author of the TIME article was just trying to stir the pot? Or just plain nuts?

No, I'm basically agreeing with you. I should been more clear, Tolkien = the author.

Tolkien wasn't writing them as a queer couple, he was writing them as a Victorian romantic friendship.
The audience reading Tolkien isn't familiar enough with the trope he used so they misread them as a romantic couple.
A romantic friendship is platonic and generally wasn't viewed as a couple in any manner.

I think the Time author didn't do enough research to have an informed opinion based on the context of the time it was written in or the author's views.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う