Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:33 am

Israeli researchers discover link between autism, Alzheimer's disease

Quote:
Israeli researchers have found a surprising connection between the processes causing autism and Alzheimer's disease, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HUJI) said, News.Az reports citing Xinhua.

Autism and Alzheimer's disease have so far been considered two different neurological disorders, with autism being most detected in childhood, while Alzheimer's develops in old age.

However, the two disorders share similar clinical features, such as language and cognitive impairments.

Using mice models, the new study investigated similar molecular changes in the two disorders and revealed that both share a common molecular mechanism.

It was found that two mutations, one causing autism and the other Alzheimer's, lead to similar biochemical changes, increasing levels of nitric oxide.

This causes diseases due to impaired nerve cell function and processes related to the cell's cytoskeleton, the researchers explained.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:53 am

I know I've got a family history of Alzheimer's. :(

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 11:52 am

more good news.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 12:13 pm

Don't listen to it - researchers have nothing better to do than to correlate autism with every disease known to man. If all of it were true most autistics wouldn't make it past 5 years old.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 12:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Don't listen to it - researchers have nothing better to do than to correlate autism with every disease known to man. If all of it were true most autistics wouldn't make it past 5 years old.

Some of that makes sense even if it's not quite intuitive.

A lot of folks with ASD are highly sensitive to stress (for example), stress is harmful to one's health because of the hormones our bodies release while we're under stress can do damage to systems within our bodies so if a study were to suggest an increased risk of things that are known potential risks from stress it would make sense that they'd be more likely within our group vs. a control group.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 12:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

A lot of folks with ASD are highly sensitive to stress (for example), stress is harmful to one's health because of the hormones our bodies release while we're under stress can do damage to systems within our bodies so if a study were to suggest an increased risk of things that are known potential risks from stress it would make sense that they'd be more likely within our group vs. a control group.

So it is my fault my mum has cancer. :cry:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 12:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

So it is my fault my mum has cancer. :cry:

Of course not and I really don't think I implied that anywhere. That would be a really unfair thing to say.

Among things, if you're more sensitive to stress how could that impact your mom's health? Since she doesn't have autism any correlations between autism and likelihood of health issues wouldn't apply to her.

If stress can cause health problems people who are more sensitive to it can be predicted to have a high rate of health problems because they (on average) will feel higher levels of stress (on average) based on the same circumstances. That would only be an issue for the people with the higher level of sensitivity, their sensitivity to stress wouldn't cause people near them to have health problems because that sensitivity isn't contagious.

If you're worried that you're a source of stress, that's probably true like it is for ever parent towards their kids but she's certainly got other sources as well (just like everyone else).

You're not at fault in the slightest.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:01 pm

I caused more stress for my mum than I did for myself, and my mum has always been more anxious than the average NT. You have no idea how awful I was as a child. She was practically tearing her hair out.

Her siblings don't have cancer and all had NT children. Coincidence? I think not.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I caused more stress for my mum than I did for myself, and my mum has always been more anxious than the average NT. You have no idea how awful I was as a child. She was practically tearing her hair out.

My parents have both openly talked about how they're surprised they didn't drown me.

But you (and I) were kids, we weren't being malicious or intentionally causing stress, we didn't have the information needed to even consider how our actions might be impacting our parents health in the long term and probably wouldn't have had the emotional regulation to do much better even if we did.

I 100% stand by what I said, that you're not at fault in the slightest.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:11 pm

Sorry, it's not you. I'm just really angry that my mum is suffering.

But I still don't believe that autism causes Alzheimer's. Anyone can get Alzheimer's.

I do wish people on this forum would stop posting such negative studies like this. It doesn't do people's depression or anxiety levels any good.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:13 pm

No family history of Alzheimer's here.

The worse cognitive cases had been done was my great grandfather's stroke that rendered him disabled, and dragged on like that for a few years.

As for the biochemical changes -- is it a common reaction or a common cause? It doesn't specify.
Also increasing levels of nitric oxide isn't limited in Alzheimer's nor autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:27 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Sorry, it's not you. I'm just really angry that my mum is suffering.

But I still don't believe that autism causes Alzheimer's. Anyone can get Alzheimer's.

I do wish people on this forum would stop posting such negative studies like this. It doesn't do people's depression or anxiety levels any good.

I wish I could offer better support for the real cause. :(

Personally I find stuff like this really fascinating to try to pick apart because they'll usually try describe what the mechanism is that connects issue 1 and issue 2; it's really interesting to learn how different systems within ourselves are tied together or how they can influence each other.

That said, I can definitely see how for some people they can be upsetting and feel like they're an additional condemnation.

It might also have to do with how people interpret what's there. I see that headline and I see 'there might be a connection, maybe' rather than 'autism causes Alzheimer's' since so far it doesn't sound like it's proven, just that there might be proof based on what they've noticed.

The connection might just end up being the nitric acid plays a role in both, with no sort of cause and effect relationship between the two conditions.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:38 pm

I think the reason that autism is associated with so many other conditions and causes is because there are so many genes (when I look at sources they usually mention at least around 80-100+, but the exact number is different) that are currently correlated with autism.

I honestly can't wait until they verify what genes actually have a role in autism + how exactly they cause the development of it, and then can isolate at least some those genes into their own "disorders" with their own associated conditions. It'd probably make treating our issues and reducing our risks for other conditions a lot easier.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:41 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I think the reason that autism is associated with so many other conditions and causes is because there are so many genes (when I look at sources they usually mention at least around 80-100+, but the exact number is different) that are currently correlated with autism.

I honestly can't wait until they verify what genes actually have a role in autism + how exactly they cause the development of it, and then can isolate at least some those genes into their own "disorders" with their own associated conditions. It'd probably make treating our issues and reducing our risks for other conditions a lot easier.

A prism through which the spectrum could be better understood and examined? Sounds good to me. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2021, 1:42 pm

Information is important. I'd rather have some idea of what's out there being researched. We each must manage/look-after our own anxiety levels.

Joe90 wrote:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 2:12 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Information is important. I'd rather have some idea of what's out there being researched. We each must manage/look-after our own anxiety levels.

Joe90 wrote:

Self-management might only be able to go so far if the discussion is demonstrably triggering to members in the community who need support though. It might be ideal if it was possible to segregate conversations on the topic to a specific forum dedicated to the topic.

It would also be easier to frame it the way you're coming at it from in that case because it would take more effort to encounter them.

There's both huge interest as well as a great potential for causing emotional distress, those two things both need to be considered and accommodated because it's a support community where both concerns are significant. People need to be able to research stuff that relevant, but they're also entitled to not have triggering stuff related to the reason they're here be pushed in their faces.

I don't think we're able to adequately balance those two concerns without creating a dedicated sub-forum and I know that's not an option.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う