Where or if to post studies linking autism and diseases

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 7:10 pm

This thread is a result of this thread linking to a study that suggests an Autism and Alzheimer's link. This is typical of many of my posts. While some have mentioned they are fascinated by this it has been noted that this can be quite triggering for someone going through a real bad time. The duel purposes of WP as a support site and a discussion group come into conflict here. A suggestion has been made for a separate section for autism research and I agree but we all know that is not likely to happen. I am at loss as to what to do. I would hate to stop posting that type of story. Super positivity is just not me and others want this type of post. I could go back to posting these in the news section like I used to but I stopped posting there because I just felt Autism research stories are a poor fit with the latest shooting or political outrage.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 13 Oct 2021, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm

I think your subject line was a fair enough warning. I suggest the Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation forum, but I tend to think of it as including ASD news (as separate from the News forum itself).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 7:37 pm

I certainly find those sorts of threads fascinating.

It's also a concern that doesn't seem to have ever really been given much attention in the past, or if it did it just resulted in backlash towards the poster who voiced a concern so things never went further. There should always be room for improving how we handle these sorts of concerns but suggesting things could be done better isn't meant to criticize people doing things how they're normally done.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Oct 2021, 5:19 am

I'd say the General Autism Discussion forum is a perfect fit - better than Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation because your thread is about ongoing research, which isn't really any of those.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm

If autism is going to suddenly be linked to any deadly disease, it is best to add a trigger warning to the thread title. Nobody likes hearing that a non-life-threatening neurological disorder they have is linked to deadly diseases. Trust me, there's been all sort of things autism has been linked to mentioned on WP in the 11 years I have been posting here, even ''autistic people are more at risk of cancer'' and all of that. A lot of people here seem to put it lightly, or show very little emotion towards it, like it isn't all that big a deal. But before posting 'studies' about deadly diseases being linked to autism, one must consider how this might affect some of the sensitive members, how serious the disease they're talking about is, and put ''TRIGGER WARNING'' in the thread title.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 6:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:
If autism is going to suddenly be linked to any deadly disease, it is best to add a trigger warning to the thread title. Nobody likes hearing that a non-life-threatening neurological disorder they have is linked to deadly diseases. Trust me, there's been all sort of things autism has been linked to mentioned on WP in the 11 years I have been posting here, even ''autistic people are more at risk of cancer'' and all of that. A lot of people here seem to put it lightly, or show very little emotion towards it, like it isn't all that big a deal. But before posting 'studies' about deadly diseases being linked to autism, one must consider how this might affect some of the sensitive members, how serious the disease they're talking about is, and put ''TRIGGER WARNING'' in the thread title.

I would do that but their is a very limited amount of characters we are allowed to put in the title as is.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 6:22 pm

I don't really see how putting "trigger warning" would be useful in this situation, since people would just see what the rest of the title is and what the post is about anyways. I think it's really up to people to just not click on and read posts that are about these things.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 10:21 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I don't really see how putting "trigger warning" would be useful in this situation, since people would just see what the rest of the title is and what the post is about anyways. I think it's really up to people to just not click on and read posts that are about these things.

then why did the mods add a trigger warning to my post in the adult section

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 12:14 am

Caz72 wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

then why did the mods add a trigger warning to my post in the adult section

I don't know, you'd have to ask the mods.