Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2021, 7:34 pm

I came across a video of people on tik tok faking mental disorders. I'm not sure how to feel about it.

The videos almost make it seem like a cute thing. I mostly see the videos of people faking DID or Autism and sometimes Bipolar. I feel like these people dont fully understand certain things.

I struggle a lot with my mental health. It prevents me from doing what I want to do, due to fear. Some days I feel worse than I thought I ever could. Other days I feel so happy. The paranoia is the worst though. It makes me feel really isolated. I get too scared to talk about it. I constantly feel on edge. Some nights I dont sleep from fear. I'm starting to take my meds again. Some nights I cant sleep because I have energy.

I also have known a few people from school who faked these things. I got into arguments with them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 7:45 pm

I'm curious about this because I've encountered people who finally get comfortable with not masking on some sorta social media platform and get attacked for faking but I also wouldn't be surprised to find someone who is trying to use it as a gimmick.

Personally I try to default to assuming the person probably isn't faking even if they're seeking validation since validation seeking is something people sometimes do when they're overwhelmed by anxiety and fear of rejection.

Something I'd also consider is, what's wrong with someone who fakes a mental illness or other significant disorder? If someone's faking being crazy for attention, they're probably just another flavour of crazy in which case their acting out should be understood through that lens.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyniczer0
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2021, 7:29 pm

I feel as though people fake these things because others have romanticized them to the point where they are "desirable." Many people, especially younger teenagers, believe they have these conditions because they relate to posts without having done any research or introspection... I believe the way autism and DID especially are being faked more and more is a reflection of the way social media has woobified both as of late. Maybe I'm wrong, though. If they really want autism they can have mine, lol.

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2021, 2:51 pm

I think people do that because they probably crave attention. It is not ok! I hate it when people make fun of them as well, especially autism

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:29 pm

Faking a mental disorder is one of the most tasteless, selfish, disrespectful and disgusting things you can do. I don't really care what the reason is. Seeking attention, wanting to belong to a community, just for fun, etc.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:41 pm

skrish234 wrote:
I think people do that because they probably crave attention. It is not ok! I hate it when people make fun of them as well, especially autism

I dont know what craving attention has to do with it? I have long heard this claim thrown around and it makes less sense the more I think about it.

Do you never want attention?

Here is a vid for all our attentions!

Last edited by The_Znof on 29 Nov 2021, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:45 pm

My guess would be to get rich and famous and get their 15 minutes of fame and everybody their age wants to be a influencer and that is their way to stand out from the pack and get pageviews and clicks and stuff.They need to be way more carefull because it could keep them out of a job.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:07 pm

The_Znof wrote:
skrish234 wrote:

I dont know what craving attention has to do with it? Are performers evil?

Some people use provocative behavior as the mechanism by which they garner attention. It's not even a matter of "evil". Like a small child shouting "F*CK!" in a crowded restaurant, it makes them the center of attention. It is unhealthy performative behavior. Basically, the only way the individual knows how to "ask for attention" is to "get" attention, with the kind of behavior that gets attention.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 8:56 am

Sounds like it is itself a form of mental illness.