Corruption investigation claims federal politician

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 1:13 am

Quote:
Embattled Labor MP Anthony Byrne has resigned from a powerful national security committee as questions remain over his misuse of taxpayer funds.

In a statement issued late Thursday afternoon, Mr Byrne said he had resigned his post as deputy chair of the parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security.

“I have today offered my resignation as deputy chair and committee member of the parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security (PJCIS),” the Holt MP said.

“I have always put the work of this bipartisan committee first and have always served in its best interests.

“I would like to thank my colleagues on the committee for the work we have done to protect Australia’s national security.”

“I will continue to fully co-operate with the IBAC inquiry and will not be making further comment while proceedings are under way.”

Mr Byrne has been under pressure to resign from the committee after he confessed at a Victorian anti-corruption hearing to branch stacking and using commonwealth funds to pay two staff who did not show up for work and instead performed factional duties.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/undersiege-mp-anthony-byrne-quits-national-security-committee/news-story/b13ff30798dbedd2afcd8fd2a51e84bc

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 1:45 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
Embattled Labor MP Anthony Byrne has resigned from a powerful national security committee as questions remain over his misuse of taxpayer funds.

In a statement issued late Thursday afternoon, Mr Byrne said he had resigned his post as deputy chair of the parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security.

“I have today offered my resignation as deputy chair and committee member of the parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security (PJCIS),” the Holt MP said.

“I have always put the work of this bipartisan committee first and have always served in its best interests.

“I would like to thank my colleagues on the committee for the work we have done to protect Australia’s national security.”

“I will continue to fully co-operate with the IBAC inquiry and will not be making further comment while proceedings are under way.”

Mr Byrne has been under pressure to resign from the committee after he confessed at a Victorian anti-corruption hearing to branch stacking and using commonwealth funds to pay two staff who did not show up for work and instead performed factional duties.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/undersiege-mp-anthony-byrne-quits-national-security-committee/news-story/b13ff30798dbedd2afcd8fd2a51e84bc

Some semblance of justice has been done.