Broke down crying at dentist's office

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 2:31 pm

Today was my first day at the dentist in four years; a lot of that was from moving, costs, and COVID. After I got my teeth cleaned, my dentist told me that I need a deep cleaning because I have a lot of tartar and one of my teeth has gum tissue that is receding. Unfortunately, the deep cleaning won't be covered by my medicaid, so I may end up having to pay for different insurance.

I broke down crying as a result. I cried so hard that the head dentist had to berate me, saying that what I had is nothing compared to other people (particularly those my age) who had no teeth at all. I didn't care, there are still people out there with supermodel teeth, while I have Cockney teeth. Even though many of my family members had deep cleaning, I didn't; no on understands that I think differently, thinking that it feels more like an inoperable brain tumor as big as a f***ing baseball.

I have to go back in February, not looking forward to it at all. I honestly knew this appointment wouldn't go well, wish I hadn't gone. Even my NT 4 y/o niece could handle this a lot better than I can. I don't know how much this new insurance will cost, but I dread it because it usually costs so much money, that I won't have enough for leisure. FML.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 2:36 pm

I am so sorry, WC!

That doctor's behavior was cruel and completely unnecessary.  He should have shown more patience and understanding.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 3:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am so sorry, WC!

That doctor's behavior was cruel and completely unnecessary.  He should have shown more patience and understanding.

He was more stern than angry, but the way he said it only upset me more. I don't always like being lectured like that, it sounds too authoritarian to me, even though most people don't mind it.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 6:48 pm

I looked up info about my upcoming procedure, and now I don't want it. Not only is it too painful, but it will take hours because I still have so much tartar. Plus, I won't be able to eat much afterwards because everything is so painful. I can't do this, it's TOO F***ING HARD!

I just want to die now... :cry:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 8:40 am

I am sorry, wow that doctor was certainly cold and unsympathetic. How can he act like that to an upset person?

I wish i had some advice, my teeth probably needs deep cleaning too and i am too scared to go to the dentist.. It has been over 4 years for me too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 10:56 am

I’ve had deep cleaning before (twice)and it wasn’t that bad.I’m surprised Medicaid didn’t cover it, it did mine but that’s been several years ago and maybe it varies state to state.
The dentist has seen worse mouths than yours and possibly he was trying to get across that you still have all your teeth and others don’t.However he could have been more sympathetic to your reaction.
A deep cleaning and is better than losing your teeth.Extractions are worse, I had to have a rear molar removed because a wisdom tooth damaged it.Way worse that the cleaning.It and the wisdom tooth didn’t want to come out and the pain later was worse than any cleaning.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 2:51 pm

I've had deep scaling before and it wasn't that bad. Call around to several places for a quote, and ask if they have a payment plan.

Letting your teeth go 4 years without a dental visit is a bad idea. If you get your teeth done regularly, it isn't too traumatic. Also, it helps to know the staff by name and have some continuity.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 10:31 pm

I was afraid of dental deep cleaning but it was not bad at all. From your description, your gingivitis is just beginning and the dentist can probably eliminate it.