Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2021, 9:58 am

So can you do physics like Einstein? Are you good at computers like Mark Zuckerberg? Are you one of the greats?

A Bill Gates?
A Henry Ford?

But never had the chance, idea or money to make it big?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2021, 10:09 am

I can't do physics like Einstein but I can do it pretty well. I still hope my overall life situation stabilizes enough so I can finish my PhD.
Why do you ask?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 10:44 am

I can do physics well enough to have a lucrative career in engineering.

You do not need to be another Einstein to do well for yourself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2021, 10:53 am

Part of the problem is, famous people are used as examples because they are famous so everyone heard of them.
Non-famous people are more relatable but... only their family and friends know who they are.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

I did very well in physics years ago.

It would be nice to see women on your list, as well as names from the arts.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:25 am

Technic1 wrote:
So can you do physics like Einstein? Are you good at computers like Mark Zuckerberg? Are you one of the greats?

I can:

--Prove the theory of gravity every time I miss a step.

--Demonstrate electrical conductivity and the electrochemical nature of biological control of muscles when I neglect to turn off the breaker while replacing a worn outlet.

--Disprove a paradox of quantum superposition by even suggesting that we try to perform the "Schrödinger's cat" experiment, for real, in the presence of our cat, Bubby (He bites me when the subject is brought up- his superposed jaw waveform ALWAYS collapses in the same way).

--Find and exceed the limits of fluid friction when trying to decelerate and change direction beyond the limits of my $2 Walmart flipflops.

--Relay my knowledge of astrophysics by saying "Yeah, that's a nice one!", when asked to identify constellations.

--Establish the scope and accuracy of my psychological self-knowledge by living nearly 53 years in a state of complete ignorance regarding a fundamental difference in the way I perceive the world, compared to most others...

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:32 am

I'm useless at almost everything of that counts.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:39 am

am absolutely exceptional at being me ...... i hope that counts.

where ever you go ,there you are

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:46 am

Technic1 wrote:

A Bill Gates?
A Henry Ford?

But never had the chance, idea or money to make it big?

No not at all. I have read a few books on astronomy though.

Apart from the basics I've never really been interested in computers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2021, 11:50 am

Jakki wrote:
am absolutely exceptional at being me ...... i hope that counts.
:heart:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:52 am

Hey Gadget Guru, ya know, it's rare i find somebody who displays a higher linguistic dexterity than myself. kudos to you. that's about the only things i can do, be articulate. I tend to use big words--and sometimes cryptic concepts, that nobody understands (ever hear this; "what does that mean?"..... "no ive never heard of that"...... "i dont know".....)

I have good hand eye coordination, the ability to draw very accurate with pencil and pen, but apart from that, i'm just pretty average and uninspiring. I'm not really good at anything other than maybe f-ing up my life.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 11:58 am

GadgetGuru wrote:
--Disprove a paradox of quantum superposition by even suggesting that we try to perform the "Schrödinger's cat" experiment, for real, in the presence of our cat, Bubby (He bites me when the subject is brought up- his superposed jaw waveform ALWAYS collapses in the same way)

I love Schrödinger's cat. I'm so glad he's still alive.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:07 pm

magz wrote:
Part of the problem is, famous people are used as examples because they are famous so everyone heard of them. Non-famous people are more relatable but... only their family and friends know who they are.
Yes, and when a famous person is held up as and example, the “Yeah, but…” excuses begin.

“Yeah, but I am not already famous, so I will always be a nobody.”

“Yeah, but Einstein had everything handed to him, and nobody hands me anything.”

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Hey Gadget Guru, ya know, it's rare i find somebody who displays a higher linguistic dexterity than myself. kudos to you.

Thanks, but I do this mainly because I discovered some years ago that "chicks dig words". It amazed me when I learned that most guys on dating sites apparently make NO effort to impress women with what they write, so once I knew that, I found that even moderate effort expended would pay dividends (until they eventually learned that other expected life skills are not necessarily concomitant in me).

About 15 years ago, this response from one particularly intriguing woman kind of "put me over the top" in dedicating myself to trying to evoke a strong emotional response by writing something compelling:

"Wow. Thanks for the great response. Best one yet."

When I first saw her profile, I thought "No way she's going to even respond to me unless I can make myself stand out", so I came up with this silliness for the initial email, which apparently struck a chord with her:

"Born in the radioactive inferno of a star, a pair of carbon atoms drifts aimlessly through the cosmos. They cling to one another, spinning round and round, dancing in the void. Eons pass, and they find their way to a gathering of others. Slowly they amass, an irresistible force drawing them all near. From the sparse clouds of dust billions, then trillions uncounted join into something more. This nascent conglomeration of scintilla becomes a new planet, orbiting a young star. Soon pulled apart by immense forces, the pair of atoms lose contact with each other, and find themselves trapped in a chaotic and violent storm of creation.

Intense heat, immense pressure forces matter into new structures. Continents form, oceans condense, mountains rise. Ages pass, and the new planet settles down into a calmer state. Near the ocean lies a secluded valley, still visibly torn by the great stress of its birth. In a hollow in the rock a small pool of still water sits, containing methane, ammonia and hydrogen. As has happened many times before, a bolt of lightning from the clouds above strikes. This time, however, something is different. A seemingly innocuous new compound has formed from the energy of the strike. The precursors of life have spontaneously asserted themselves upon this place.

This new force upon the planet will seem at first unworthy of comment, and promising little. But progress is made, despite countless failures and missed opportunities. Variations in pattern lead to new opportunities. One tiny mutation spawns a whole new line of development. Eventually this progression leads to a marvelous level of sophistication, allowing a mere collection of atoms to become aware of its own existence.

Billions of years have passed, and yet our original pair of simple carbon atoms have never found their way into the stream of life. But at last their day has arrived, and they begin their new era by being integrated into most complex and wonderful structure ever known, that of the human brain. Each of the pair of atoms finds itself within the mind of a clever creature, one that considers itself apart from others of it's kind. But these two minds are just two of over six billion, separated by distance, isolated by inclination.

The end of this story has not yet been written, as the fate of the two motes is as of yet unknown."

And also this (which I had written earlier, but it seemed appropriate to add at the end):

"So what brings you to this marketplace of mysteriously monikered misters and maidens? I think that this method of finding a potential life partner is more than a little strange, don't you agree?

Imagine, with subtle movements of my fingers, I close tiny switches. A trickle of current is allowed to flow, stimulating registers in a silicon chip. Another series of circuits translates the state of those registers into a cacophonous sound, oscillating along a few miles of copper wire. The sound is then pulsed into laser light, bounced through a maze of paths and dead ends, ultimately to be reconstructed at the other end as nothing more than an array of tiny glowing dots on the face of your screen.

And with just these dry, technical functions as my intermediary, I expect to give some impression of who I am, what my dreams are, the most indefinable aspects of humanity. It's all just bizarre. Any alien anthropologists observing mating rituals of early 21st century humans must be confused as hell."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:22 pm

I'm good at being a Sweet Pea and making people happy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

I’m pretty good at howling :mrgreen: