Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
babybird wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
My husband made me write an essay to say why I should have children.

I guess I passed his exam.

Ha....he sounds like a riot.

Yup. Good times. Six months after she was born premature he announced he was gay and left us.

He's been in violation of child support and psychiatric care orders since 1997.

The funniest thing was when he sued our daughter in court in 2019, then disowned her entirely.

:mrgreen: Sounds like you're far better off on your own than being in that relationship.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 10:35 pm

Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Why did I get pregnant? Because I really, really want to be a mom. I've loved babies ever since my 8-years-younger brother was born, and the older I got, the more clear it became to me that I want to raise a child of my own.

I did get genetically tested, but that had nothing to do with my plans to have a child - I was genetically tested for my own curiosity. I'm not a carrier of anything particularly scary, according to the test. The only recessive condition they found in my DNA is hemochromatosis, which isn't really that bad if it's diagnosed and treated appropriately, so I decided it wasn't worth worrying about when picking a sperm donor.

The main reason I got tested was wondering why I'm autistic, and it turns out I've got a ton of SNPs that have been suggested to be linked to autism, so I've got my answer - I have polygenetic autism. Not a huge surprise, since my Dad is autistic and most multiplex autism families likely have polygenetic autism, but it's nice to know. And once I started trying to conceive, I found it reassuring to know, because I would love to have an autistic child and I have a pretty decent chance of that with my genetics.

Would you love to have a low functioning autistic child ?

I don't really think functioning labels are the best way to categorize autistic people.

I do admit that my ideal child would be smart and verbal, but I'm fine with one who is missing one or both of those characteristics. I don't see "low functioning autism" as some sort of horrible tragedy to be avoided, it's just more challenging and they need more support than most people. I've worked with autistic kids who couldn't speak and who may have had cognitive delays (though it can be hard to assess the latter accurately) and would be glad to have a child like that as my own.

I also think that if you're not ready and willing to deal with any sort of special needs that may arise in a child, you shouldn't have children. There are no guarantees in life - even a normal child could get meningitis or be in a car accident and end up needing far more help than any "low functioning autistic" person. (Autism requires a certain level of capability in order to assess, so there's actually a minimum functioning level for autistic people, and I've met people with other disabilities who function below that level.)

I also know that disability is by and large irrelevant to quality of life.

I think the hardest thing about having a severely autistic child would be when you go out to the shopping centre and they start yelling and screaming /tantrums and not listening. Kids i knew would take their seatbelt off in the car and argh. Trying to get them to do their teeth, or go to bed, or eat. Oppositional conduct disorder child would be so difficult.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 10:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Lol can I read it?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 10:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
babybird wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Ha....he sounds like a riot.

Yup. Good times. Six months after she was born premature he announced he was gay and left us.

He's been in violation of child support and psychiatric care orders since 1997.

The funniest thing was when he sued our daughter in court in 2019, then disowned her entirely.

What type of man sues his own daughter? Argh families are such nightmares.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Why did I get pregnant? Because I really, really want to be a mom. I've loved babies ever since my 8-years-younger brother was born, and the older I got, the more clear it became to me that I want to raise a child of my own.

I did get genetically tested, but that had nothing to do with my plans to have a child - I was genetically tested for my own curiosity. I'm not a carrier of anything particularly scary, according to the test. The only recessive condition they found in my DNA is hemochromatosis, which isn't really that bad if it's diagnosed and treated appropriately, so I decided it wasn't worth worrying about when picking a sperm donor.

The main reason I got tested was wondering why I'm autistic, and it turns out I've got a ton of SNPs that have been suggested to be linked to autism, so I've got my answer - I have polygenetic autism. Not a huge surprise, since my Dad is autistic and most multiplex autism families likely have polygenetic autism, but it's nice to know. And once I started trying to conceive, I found it reassuring to know, because I would love to have an autistic child and I have a pretty decent chance of that with my genetics.

I don't really think functioning labels are the best way to categorize autistic people.

I do admit that my ideal child would be smart and verbal, but I'm fine with one who is missing one or both of those characteristics. I don't see "low functioning autism" as some sort of horrible tragedy to be avoided, it's just more challenging and they need more support than most people. I've worked with autistic kids who couldn't speak and who may have had cognitive delays (though it can be hard to assess the latter accurately) and would be glad to have a child like that as my own.

I also think that if you're not ready and willing to deal with any sort of special needs that may arise in a child, you shouldn't have children. There are no guarantees in life - even a normal child could get meningitis or be in a car accident and end up needing far more help than any "low functioning autistic" person. (Autism requires a certain level of capability in order to assess, so there's actually a minimum functioning level for autistic people, and I've met people with other disabilities who function below that level.)

I think the hardest thing about having a severely autistic child would be when you go out to the shopping centre and they start yelling and screaming /tantrums and not listening. Kids i knew would take their seatbelt off in the car and argh. Trying to get them to do their teeth, or go to bed, or eat.

Well, firstly, if that's what you consider severe, then I'm severely autistic, because I've definitely had meltdowns in those circumstances when I was younger!

Honestly, I've never really understood why people make such a big deal of those things. Most of the time, the meltdown is entirely predictable and preventable if you understand and accommodate the child's sensory needs. If you take a child who is overloaded by shopping centers out shopping, you're the one at fault when they start yelling and screaming.

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Oppositional conduct disorder child would be so difficult.

ODD/CD are different from autism, and are more correlated with adverse environmental experiences. They tend to be a lot more deliberately malicious, rather than just unable to cope with the situation. Often it's a sign of attachment issues, though it can also develop from frustration caused by being punished for being neurodivergent (especially ADHD). I do think those kids tend to be a lot more difficult than autistic kids, even autistic kids who have a lot of trouble with communication and activities of daily living. I'd much rather change diapers on a nonverbal kid than deal with a kid who's manipulative and deliberately antagonizes me.

Although some ODD kids I've met settle down pretty easily if you actually show them some empathy and respect instead of just trying to control them. A lot of times it's a kid who feels like no one respects or cares about them, so why should they respect or care about others?

Essentially, ODD/CD kids kind of fall into two groups - budding psychopaths, and kids who are just hurting and lashing out. The second group are a lot easier to deal with, especially if they're still pretty young. Fortunately for me, psychopathy and autism don't overlap much more than expected by chance, and the hurting/lashing out type of ODD/CD is readily preventable if you're the parent and planning to homeschool.

How can a baby be manipulative lol?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 4:41 pm

Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:

I think the hardest thing about having a severely autistic child would be when you go out to the shopping centre and they start yelling and screaming /tantrums and not listening. Kids i knew would take their seatbelt off in the car and argh. Trying to get them to do their teeth, or go to bed, or eat.

Well, firstly, if that's what you consider severe, then I'm severely autistic, because I've definitely had meltdowns in those circumstances when I was younger!

Honestly, I've never really understood why people make such a big deal of those things. Most of the time, the meltdown is entirely predictable and preventable if you understand and accommodate the child's sensory needs. If you take a child who is overloaded by shopping centers out shopping, you're the one at fault when they start yelling and screaming.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

ODD/CD are different from autism, and are more correlated with adverse environmental experiences. They tend to be a lot more deliberately malicious, rather than just unable to cope with the situation. Often it's a sign of attachment issues, though it can also develop from frustration caused by being punished for being neurodivergent (especially ADHD). I do think those kids tend to be a lot more difficult than autistic kids, even autistic kids who have a lot of trouble with communication and activities of daily living. I'd much rather change diapers on a nonverbal kid than deal with a kid who's manipulative and deliberately antagonizes me.

Although some ODD kids I've met settle down pretty easily if you actually show them some empathy and respect instead of just trying to control them. A lot of times it's a kid who feels like no one respects or cares about them, so why should they respect or care about others?

Essentially, ODD/CD kids kind of fall into two groups - budding psychopaths, and kids who are just hurting and lashing out. The second group are a lot easier to deal with, especially if they're still pretty young. Fortunately for me, psychopathy and autism don't overlap much more than expected by chance, and the hurting/lashing out type of ODD/CD is readily preventable if you're the parent and planning to homeschool.

How can a baby be manipulative lol? How can a baby who can’t even speak antagonise you? They don’t even have the desire to control,dominate?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 5:06 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Itendswithmexx wrote:

How can a baby be manipulative lol? How can a baby who can’t even speak antagonise you? They don’t even have the desire to control,dominate?

They can't. Nor can they be diagnosed with ODD or CD.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 5:09 pm

Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Itendswithmexx wrote:

They can't. Nor can they be diagnosed with ODD or CD.

“I'd much rather change diapers on a nonverbal kid than deal with a kid who's manipulative and deliberately antagonizes me.“

What age do kids stop wearing diapers? What’s CD?

Then why did you say that ..? If they can’t be diagnosed..? Apparently some people can’t be diagnosed with mental illnesses till their 18.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 5:27 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
What age do kids stop wearing diapers?

Depends on the kid. Some never do.

Itendswithmexx wrote:
What’s CD?

Conduct disorder. A condition defined by "A repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated", to quote the DSM-5. Basically a juvenile delinquent, a kid who's breaking laws, being violent towards others, etc.

Itendswithmexx wrote:
“I'd much rather change diapers on a nonverbal kid than deal with a kid who's manipulative and deliberately antagonizes me.“

Then why did you say that ..? If they can’t be diagnosed..? Apparently some people can’t be diagnosed with mental illnesses till their 18.

I was comparing different kinds of children. None of the nonverbal, diaper-wearing kids I've known, no matter their age, have struck me as manipulative or deliberately antagonizing people.

It seems like you have a lot of trouble with reading comprehension.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:03 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:

I'm diagnosed Level 2 and ADHD so I guess I'm low functioning compared to others.

I don't think I ruined my parents' lives.

I've also been a single mum to my Autistic and ADHD / Gifted daughter since she was six months old.
She's almost 25 now and still lives with me full time like a sister / best friend.

She also has a permanent disability from a physical illness. Oh, and Epilepsy.

And PTSD.

And MDD / Agoraphobia.

She's a chef and she has published books.

It's all good.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

I fostered / adopted a boy with ODD, ADHD and learning disabilities when he was 3. His parents were addicts so he was a drug baby too. He's grown up and thriving, making tons of money and living independently since he was 18. He's travelled the world on his own and he lives on another continent now, earning a fortune. He's doing great, thanks, and he's the happiest most successful / talented / self-sufficient young man I know.

Yes there were some rough times when he was young, but I don't regret a minute of it.

Incidentally no, I didn't have the luxury to homeschool either of my kids. I worked full time as an Autistic ADHD single mother from the time they were babies. One child with ASD / ADHD, one with ODD / ADHD.

I made it work.

They both turned out to be incredible people.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Doubt many girls get diagnosed with add. Lengthily process to get diagnosed.

My daughter and I are both diagnosed combined-type ADHD (meaning ADD & ADHD).
Our assessments took about 20 hours each, but yes girls can have ADHD.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Why would you want your child to struggle? Is it sadism?does it make you feel superior?

I don't want my children to struggle. That's why I was a dedicated parent, and I'm sure Ettina will be one too.

(It doesn't make me or anyone else superior. It makes us good parents.)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:07 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:

What type of man sues his own daughter? Argh families are such nightmares.

The as*hole type.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:09 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Lol can I read it?

I don't have it. He took it when I passed inspection in 1996.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 9:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:

I'm diagnosed Level 2 and ADHD so I guess I'm low functioning compared to others.

I've also been a single mum to my Autistic and ADHD / Gifted daughter since she was six months old.
She's almost 25 now and still lives with me full time like a sister / best friend.

And PTSD.

And MDD / Agoraphobia.

It's all good.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

I fostered / adopted a boy with ODD, ADHD and learning disabilities when he was 3. His parents were addicts so he was a drug baby too. He's grown up and thriving, making tons of money and living independently since he was 18. He's travelled the world on his own and he lives on another continent now, earning a fortune. He's doing great, thanks, and he's the happiest most successful / talented / self-sufficient young man I know.

Yes there were some rough times when he was young, but I don't regret a minute of it.

Incidentally no, I didn't have the luxury to homeschool either of my kids. I worked full time as an Autistic ADHD single mother from the time they were babies. One child with ASD / ADHD, one with ODD / ADHD.

I made it work.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Why would you want your child to struggle? Is it sadism?does it make you feel superior?

I don't want my children to struggle. That's why I was a dedicated parent, and I'm sure Ettina will be one too.

What permanent disability did she get from her illness? Epilepsy must be horrible! That’s the seizure thing? So she can’t drive ever? I get that and cerebral palsy confused.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 9:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:

And PTSD.

And MDD / Agoraphobia.

It's all good.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

I made it work.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Itendswithmexx wrote:

What did the essay say?
Inspection? Are you a property ?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:13 pm

She has Lupus Nephritis.

Her immune system is attacking her joints and her organs, particularly her kidneys.

It can't be cured and it's considered a permanent physical disability.

Her dad sued her anyway.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 9:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:

And PTSD.

And MDD / Agoraphobia.

It's all good.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

I made it work.

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Itendswithmexx wrote:

Aww that’s great you adopted him! What does he do? What drugs were his parents on? It’s amazing he didn’t get affected. Never met anyone whose parents were on drugs when they had them.