Parents Suffer from Age discrimination.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 1:55 pm

The only difference between a parent and a child is age. Parents get the power to boss,abuse and neglect their child all because their older. Age discrimination. They can do whatever they want to their children and the law just assumes that’s okay. Children can’t say no, or tell off parents. It’s so unfair.

Discrimination is treating someone unfairly due to their age....

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:16 pm

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 19 Oct 2021, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:23 pm

First, there are limits under the law to what parents are allowed to do. There are also social limitations and pressure (not always for the better, but overall it is an important restraining factor).

Second, to see the power difference as age discrimination requires that the only difference be age. It isn’t. A 9 month old obviously can’t drive a car; a 5 year old obviously can’t balance a checkbook. A whole of cognitive and physical development happens between 0 and 18, all of which is necessary to developing decision making judgement.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 12:28 am

I read the title and read it as that parents are judged more based on their younger age compared to older parents. Like I see parents being older than me but have kids my kids' age or younger and it does make me feel young. I know for a fact that more people are having kids later in life. More people are having kids in their forties now.

Also I see it's one of these threads where someone thinks parents should let their kids do whatever they want. Kids are not capable of making good choices or using good judgement. Kids are impulsive. So parents need to tell their kids no, set limits for them and boundaries, supervise them, make choices for them. It would be bad parenting to not do either of these things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.