Over 100 Portland employees are about to lose their jobs

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 5:04 am

Unless you are part of a union, employment is at the will of the employer or the employee. If you don't follow the rules and don't want to follow the rules of the workplace, you either quit or get fired. Simple as that.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:39 am

demeus wrote:
Unless you are part of a union, employment is at the will of the employer or the employee. If you don't follow the rules and don't want to follow the rules of the workplace, you either quit or get fired. Simple as that.

Glad you brought that up. We are union.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 11:25 am

demeus wrote:
Speaking as a manager, the nice thing about unions is that because most unions contracts require detailed documentation before a member can be fired, once you have the documentation, not even the courts can overturn the firing.

(*While this may not be true in 100% of the cases, I have neve known a court to overturn a well-documented firing.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
demeus wrote:
Speaking as a manager, the nice thing about unions is that because most unions contracts require detailed documentation before a member can be fired, once you have the documentation, not even the courts can overturn the firing.

(*While this may not be true in 100% of the cases, I have neve known a court to overturn a well-documented firing.)

Seems they're starting documentation by requiring everyone to submit their vacation status. Although if they dump a good chunk of their workforce, I don't see how they'll stay in business.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 25 Oct 2021, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
demeus wrote:
Speaking as a manager, the nice thing about unions is that because most unions contracts require detailed documentation before a member can be fired, once you have the documentation, not even the courts can overturn the firing.  (*While this may not be true in 100% of the cases, I have neve known a court to overturn a well-documented firing.)
Seems they're starting documentation by requiring everyone to submit their vacation status. Although if they dump a good chunk of their workforce, I don't see how they'll stay in business.
Trust me on this: For every person fired, there are dozens -- if not hundreds -- of other people qualified for the same job.  Even if they have to take the jab, some people would rather put up with a sore arm for a day or two than go on the dole for far longer.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
demeus wrote:
Speaking as a manager, the nice thing about unions is that because most unions contracts require detailed documentation before a member can be fired, once you have the documentation, not even the courts can overturn the firing.  (*While this may not be true in 100% of the cases, I have neve known a court to overturn a well-documented firing.)
Trust me on this: For every person fired, there are dozens -- if not hundreds -- of other people qualified for the same job.  Even if they have to take the jab, some people would rather put up with a sore arm for a day or two than go on the dole for a year or more.

There's a labor shortage though. It took at least 4 weeks to fill just one opening we had.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
demeus wrote:
Trust me on this: For every person fired, there are dozens -- if not hundreds -- of other people qualified for the same job.  Even if they have to take the jab, some people would rather put up with a sore arm for a day or two than go on the dole for a year or more.
There's a labor shortage though. It took at least 4 weeks to fill just one opening we had.
The only "Labor Shortage" I have personally experienced is people not wanting to work.  There is a glut of unemployed workers out there, and many seem to think that by holding out for higher pay, they can force a potential employer to hire them.  They do not seem to realize that it is only a matter of time before someone else accepts the same offer.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 3:08 pm

I don't know how it is in the US, but here in Canada, people aren't being "fired" for refusing to get a vaccine for jobs that require it; they're being put on "unpaid leave". In terms of having an income, that really is just semantics, but the implication is that people can return to their jobs if and when they get jabbed, and are only out of work for as long as they refuse to.

Moreover, the mandate isn't required for all jobs, just certain ones. If these people want to temporarily (or permanently) take another job instead, that's something they can do. In many cases they would be trading a higher paying job for a lower paying one, but that's their choice.

Anyways, I think of the vaccine mandate as being akin to any other of requirements for a job. If an employer says their employees need to wear protective equipment and someone leaves their job because they don't want to, that's a choice they're making. If an employer says their employees need to take a particular course and someone leaves their job because they don't want to, that's a choice they're making. If anything we as a society are being too soft on people who willingly leave their jobs because they don't want a vaccine. :roll: