Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 7:32 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-powell-dies-84-first-black-secretary-of-state-covid-19/

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:59 am

Two thirds of the world can sleep more soundly tonight.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm

I guess I am uninformed about funeralxempire’s information because I’ve always liked and admired Colin Powell. I hadn’t known he was sick, and I was sad to hear today’s news.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I guess I am uninformed about funeralxempire’s information because I’ve always liked and admired Colin Powell. I hadn’t known he was sick, and I was sad to hear today’s news.

You were aware of his role in the illegal invasion of Iraq in '03, right? I don't think I'm tapping into any obscure information about the man, his role was widely and publicly documented. He was one of the architects of that horrific crime against humanity.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 1:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

You were aware of his role in the illegal invasion of Iraq in '03, right? I don't think I'm tapping into any obscure information about the man, his role was widely and publicly documented. He was one of the architects of that horrific crime against humanity.

I agree. I'll no longer lionize these people when they die. They do not deserve it and we need ti wake up in this country.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 7:17 pm

I'm waiting for Tucker Carlson to try taking advantage of Powell's death by Covid in order to try delegitimizing the vaccine even more.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 10:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I’ve forgotten, to be honest …

Perspective definitely changes with hindsight, when more has become known. My mistake, I guess, is that I forgot to keep paying attention when it came to him. I never stopped seeing the warrior doing his job and trying to be bipartisan. The later is what I liked, of course. At the time, it was the prevalent image.

There really are no good guys in government anymore ..,

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 11:24 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I’ve forgotten, to be honest …

Perspective definitely changes with hindsight, when more has become known. My mistake, I guess, is that I forgot to keep paying attention when it came to him. I never stopped seeing the warrior doing his job and trying to be bipartisan. The later is what I liked, of course. At the time, it was the prevalent image.

There really are no good guys in government anymore ..,

Keep in mind, opposition to that war was one of the first specific political causes that I felt motivated by and I remember specifically that if the Tories were in power Canada would have joined the illegal invasion.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 11:57 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Two thirds of the world can sleep more soundly tonight.

Looks like he was a true republican :lol:

Regardless one musn't speak ill of the recently departed so RIP

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
He was one of the architects of that horrific crime against humanity.

I don't think that's quite fair, my impression was more that he reluctantly helped sell the war, that it really was Cheney and Rummy's show, and that he was basically forced out over his frequent opposition to what they were doing.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:06 am

cyberdad wrote:

Looks like he was a true republican :lol:

Yes, the real giveaway was that his last 4 political endorsements were Obama, Obama, Clinton, and Biden, real GOP for life stuff.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
He was one of the architects of that horrific crime against humanity.

I don't think that's quite fair, my impression was more that he reluctantly helped sell the war, that it really was Cheney and Rummy's show, and that he was basically forced out over his frequent opposition to what they were doing.

I don't disagree with the general idea that other people were even bigger players, just that he played a big enough role he's tainted by it and doesn't get to skate (except for that he did, just like the rest will).

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:16 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I don't disagree with the general idea that other people were even bigger players, just that he played a big enough role he's tainted by it and doesn't get to skate (except for that he did, just like the rest will).

Eh, I think if you're going to call someone the architect of an atrocity, you really should be sure they're really the guy who built it, not just someone who was there, especially when it comes to discussing their legacy shortly after their passing.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 1:54 am

I think I have some reading to do …

I really wish my long term memory didn’t suck so bad. Strange what I remember v what I don’t.

No one is perfect, that is simply given. It’s about how the good and bad sit on a scale.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 3:31 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think I have some reading to do …

I'll give you the Cliff Notes; Powell is pretty much universally respected up until the 2nd gulf war, after that liberals hate him for helping W convince the country that Iraq had WMDs (most people agree that he knew his info was shaky and went along because of internal pressure), while conservatives dislike him for not being enough of a team player during the war, and turning into a RINO and endorsing Democrats in the post W era. I honestly didn't realize he was quite so old, I'd forgotten that he served in Vietnam and was in the Reagan defense department, for some reason I had misremembered him being in uniform during Desert Storm and had his age off by about a decade.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 1:42 pm

Another piece of evidence that "Pumpkin" Trump has no respect for anyone who isn't him
nor anyone blinded by his tricks and antics. :x

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/10/19/donald-trump-disparages-powell-day-after-his-death/8520943002/

Like what CD just wrote, one should not speak badly about those who have recently perished, so RIP.