What's Your Experience Working In Fast Food?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Red Raid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2021, 11:42 am

Hello

About a week ago I sent in an application to a fast food restaurant asking for a job. This was my very first time applying for a job and I thought I did reasonably well on the resume. A few days go by and they send me a text asking for an interview. The interview was scheduled for 10:30AM today, however I didn't go and decided to wuss out.

The reason was because I just thought I couldn't handle it. I have tremendous social anxiety and generally don't work well with others so you can imagine what that must be like in an environment where you have to communicate non-stop. I applied to work in the kitchen which is the most fast-paced position they have. I didn't want to work at the cash register or in catering for obvious reasons and any cleaning/janitorial jobs they have don't ensure enough hours.

I was homeschooled for the entirety of high school and I'm used to working at my own pace. Going in and suddenly working in a fast paced environment seemed like a terrible idea. I easily get frustrated and tend to screw up when that happens.

This wasn't an easy decision to make. The place I applied for is known for having a great work environment and costumer service. They only hire decent, thoughtful human beings. My only options are working at Walmart or as a janitor and those places are pretty lenient as to who they hire. They hire people who are ex-cons and former drug addicts and I'm not comfortable around people like that. Sorry if that's offensive to some, but that's just how I feel.

I've thought about maybe waiting a few months and then calling the manager asking for a second chance but I know the chances of that are very slim. I imagine he must be pretty pissed seeing as how I canceled it last minute. Then again it's just a fast food job so who knows.

I must say I feel pretty foolish right now. I know this must be offensive for those who can't get a job at all so I apologize. When I told my mom what happened she immediately flipped and tor into me. I know she's running out of patience so I need to get a job soon. My mom is a pretty miserable and hateful person, and I know she's just longing for the day me and my brother move out. The reason I didn't apply sooner is because I just wasn't in the right place. In fact I haven't been in the right place for almost the entire year. My birthday was on the 7th and I honestly hated it. It was hands down the worst birthday I have ever had in my entire life. The only reason I applied now is because my dad tried to force me to work with my brother who is a warehouse worker and I know for a fact I couldn't the stress of that. It just pisses me off knowing that my autism prevents me from working a F****** FAST FOOD JOB!

Anyone want to share their experiences? Do you think I was exaggerating a little bit? Maybe some additional tips?

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 1:10 pm

Never did that kind of job, but I've worked with delivering newspapers and selling bakery on the street.
For me, it is OK with fast pace, in fact I prefer it to be fast paced when the job isn't too intelectually challenging.
I'm sure others will chime in, but my first reaction was why not try it?
The worst thing that could happen is you quitting or being fired.
Failure? No problem. Fail again, fail better! (I'm sure I butchered that quote)

/Mats

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2021, 5:01 pm

I worked for a couple of months in Hungry Jacks (Australian rebranding of Burger King) in 1988. I worked out back making the burgers. Never did the counter. I didn't have any problems until the two month mark. My step-mother, trying to be encouraging, congratulated me for holding the job for two months, and said that I was well on the way to reaching the six month mark.

The next day I had an anxiety attack at work. A week later, after no improvement, I quit.

I believe the problem might have been my own internal issues rather than the work place. However, I've had a few jobs since then and don't think it would have been a suitable job for me in the long run.

I've had several fast paced jobs, and was very successful in my last one which I did full time for three years. It was very fast paced. Some days I skipped all breaks just to catch up. But it was my favorite job, because I worked in my own section, running everything my way, which was the most efficient that the section ever had.

For me, I observed that my most successful jobs were those where I worked mostly alone. Pace never mattered. I worked at a sedate pace in a plant nursery, but on my own. Great. I worked in a fast, noisy factory, but on my own. Great.

Maybe there are plant nurseries in your area? Factories? Something with similar characteristics?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 6:22 am

Red Raid wrote:
Hello

About a week ago I sent in an application to a fast food restaurant asking for a job. This was my very first time applying for a job and I thought I did reasonably well on the resume. A few days go by and they send me a text asking for an interview. The interview was scheduled for 10:30AM today, however I didn't go and decided to wuss out.

The reason was because I just thought I couldn't handle it. I have tremendous social anxiety and generally don't work well with others so you can imagine what that must be like in an environment where you have to communicate non-stop. I applied to work in the kitchen which is the most fast-paced position they have. I didn't want to work at the cash register or in catering for obvious reasons and any cleaning/janitorial jobs they have don't ensure enough hours.

I was homeschooled for the entirety of high school and I'm used to working at my own pace. Going in and suddenly working in a fast paced environment seemed like a terrible idea. I easily get frustrated and tend to screw up when that happens.

This wasn't an easy decision to make. The place I applied for is known for having a great work environment and costumer service. They only hire decent, thoughtful human beings. My only options are working at Walmart or as a janitor and those places are pretty lenient as to who they hire. They hire people who are ex-cons and former drug addicts and I'm not comfortable around people like that. Sorry if that's offensive to some, but that's just how I feel.

I've thought about maybe waiting a few months and then calling the manager asking for a second chance but I know the chances of that are very slim. I imagine he must be pretty pissed seeing as how I canceled it last minute. Then again it's just a fast food job so who knows.

I must say I feel pretty foolish right now. I know this must be offensive for those who can't get a job at all so I apologize. When I told my mom what happened she immediately flipped and tor into me. I know she's running out of patience so I need to get a job soon. My mom is a pretty miserable and hateful person, and I know she's just longing for the day me and my brother move out. The reason I didn't apply sooner is because I just wasn't in the right place. In fact I haven't been in the right place for almost the entire year. My birthday was on the 7th and I honestly hated it. It was hands down the worst birthday I have ever had in my entire life. The only reason I applied now is because my dad tried to force me to work with my brother who is a warehouse worker and I know for a fact I couldn't the stress of that. It just pisses me off knowing that my autism prevents me from working a F****** FAST FOOD JOB!

Anyone want to share their experiences? Do you think I was exaggerating a little bit? Maybe some additional tips?

Apply for another job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:22 am

my experience with fast food is that they never give anything away to anybody. employees don't even get a special price. i put up with it as long as i could, so many of the customers were just so rude, so condescending to the server staff.