Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2021, 4:01 am

Why do people say that Broen (the Bridge) is good? I watched one episode and could only see a weird stereotype. Are some women with ASD really like that? Are you women like that?

I just read that it is said to be one of the greatest tv series in in the years 2000-2020. I say that it is the worst tv series I can think of but then again I don't know much about women with ASD I guess. I am also saying this because I disslike most modern tv series and I only watched one episode.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 6:22 am

One reason for not telling people you have Aspergers or ASD is that the terms are usually understood in the context of TV characters. There was a guy on Boston Legal that would scurry down the office hallway with his hands on his thighs. For a long time, I thought this was supposed to represent Aspergers.

In the infrequent situations where an Aspeger trait may come up, I try to explain it in terms of the effect. For example, I might say, you have to excuse me I am a little over sensitive to touch. This seems to be more manageable than introducing a term that is most likely going to cause more problems than it solves.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 8:26 am

TV Tropes wrote:
Ambiguous Disorder:

• Just what is up with Sonya isn't specified, but it appears to be Asperger Syndrome-style autism.  ... "Word of God" [see note below], however, states that it is Asperger's, and the actress even has Alex Plank (creator of autism community website Wrong Planet, and someone who has Asperger's himself) as her advisor.

• Dex, the teen who encounters Eleanor in the streets and bikes away.  Has to be reminded by his mother to concentrate at the police station.

•Jaime, the dayworker that Eleanor hires, appears to have some sort of mental disability.  The other dayworkers say he "had an accident."
NOTE: "Word of God": A statement regarding some ambiguous or undefined aspect of a work, the "Word of God" comes from someone considered to be the ultimate authority, such as the creator, director, or producer.

Source:
 This TV Tropes Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 9:27 am

There is more than one version of "The Bridge". According to Wikipedia there was the original and then a few "foreign" versions.

----The Bridge [2011-2018]: Swedish/Danish/German with an 8.6 IMDb user
----The Tunnel [2013-2018]: British/French with 7.9 IMDb user rating
----The Bridge [2013-2014]: American/Mexican with a 7.6 IMDb user rating
----The Bridge [2018-_]: Russian with a 4.7 IMDb user rating
----The Bridge [2018-_]: Singaporean/Malaysian with a 7.7 IMDb user rating
----Pagan Peak [2018-_]: German/Austrian with an 8.0 IMDb user rating

We watched the American/Mexican series and liked it. As indicated in Fnord's post, it had an "Autism consultant". My diagnosis is Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), with a note that I met the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome and I observed some similarities between myself and the Autistic character.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2021, 10:14 am

Double Retired wrote:
There is more than one version of "The Bridge". According to Wikipedia there was the original and then a few "foreign" versions.

----The Bridge [2011-2018]: Swedish/Danish/German with an 8.6 IMDb user
----The Tunnel [2013-2018]: British/French with 7.9 IMDb user rating
----The Bridge [2013-2014]: American/Mexican with a 7.6 IMDb user rating
----The Bridge [2018-_]: Russian with a 4.7 IMDb user rating
----The Bridge [2018-_]: Singaporean/Malaysian with a 7.7 IMDb user rating
----Pagan Peak [2018-_]: German/Austrian with an 8.0 IMDb user rating

We watched the American/Mexican series and liked it. As indicated in Fnord's post, it had an "Autism consultant". My diagnosis is Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), with a note that I met the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome and I observed some similarities between myself and the Autistic character.

Are all those called Broen (Danish) or Bron (Swedish)?
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broen

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2021, 10:21 am

timf wrote:
One reason for not telling people you have Aspergers or ASD is that the terms are usually understood in the context of TV characters. There was a guy on Boston Legal that would scurry down the office hallway with his hands on his thighs. For a long time, I thought this was supposed to represent Aspergers.

In the infrequent situations where an Aspeger trait may come up, I try to explain it in terms of the effect. For example, I might say, you have to excuse me I am a little over sensitive to touch. This seems to be more manageable than introducing a term that is most likely going to cause more problems than it solves.

I find that the issue with Broen/Bron is that they say: this is how women with asperger's (or whatever it is called nowadays) are.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 10:22 am

Dandansson wrote:
I find that the issue with Broen/Bron is that they say: this is how women with asperger's (or whatever it is called nowadays) are.
Do they actually say it, or do you only assume they say it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 9:27 pm

Dandansson wrote:
Did they say that about the "Saga" character somewhere? The IMDb trivia for it suggests they deliberately did not do so.

Even in the American/Mexican version, The Bridge, I don't recall them ever explicitly saying the "Sonya Cross" character was on the Spectrum even though their intent was clearly to have her on it (they had an Autism consultant!). But I don't recall them ever saying anything explicitly except once saying she had some unspecified psychological condition.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2021, 2:00 am

Double Retired wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
Did they say that about the "Saga" character somewhere? The IMDb trivia for it suggests they deliberately did not do so.

Even in the American/Mexican version, The Bridge, I don't recall them ever explicitly saying the "Sonya Cross" character was on the Spectrum even though their intent was clearly to have her on it (they had an Autism consultant!). But I don't recall them ever saying anything explicitly except once saying she had some unspecified psychological condition.

I found this: "I serien får hon aldrig någon diagnos men Sofia Helin, som spelar Saga, har sagt i intervjuer att karaktären definitivt har aspergers syndrom."
"In the series, she never gets a diagnosis, but Sofia Helin, who plays Saga, has said in interviews that the character definitely has Asperger's syndrome."
https://www.svt.se/kultur/bron-skaparen-medger