Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also, you'd think an abuser would do anything they could to appear they did not do anything wrong, whereas she immediately tried to take all the blame.

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised how many people immediately fall on their swords, especially if it's their first real interaction with the police.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 1:35 am

Mikah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Also, you'd think an abuser would do anything they could to appear they did not do anything wrong, whereas she immediately tried to take all the blame.

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised how many people immediately fall on their swords, especially if it's their first real interaction with the police.

It would be interesting to see if Launrie's family sheds any light on what their relationship looked like while they were living there. For me I don't feel I have enough details to really determine if he was the outright abuser or if they were both being horribly toxic to each other. Either way I doubt he killed her in self defense even the police mentioned she was no threat to him physically. If he was feeling so abused by her he could have left, I mean she owned the van when the cops sent him off to the hotel he could have refused to continue traveling with her, called his parents and went back home. But idk doesn't really matter what me or you think went down, both those families are probably in a rough spot losing their son and the other losing their daughter regardless.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 6:55 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Either way I doubt he killed her in self defense even the police mentioned she was no threat to him physically. If he was feeling so abused by her he could have left

I meant she probably started the violence, but that doesn't mean I see his killing of her as self-defense - as you say, there are other options besides killing in the vast majority of these cases. Still, whatever the law has to say about it, abusers who end up dead at the hands of their partners bear much responsibility for their own demise and deserve little sympathy in my book.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 7:57 am

It’s absolutely ridiculous to suppose that this woman deserved to be killed because she acted like a b***h to him.

Only if she actually tried to kill him in some way….would killing her had been remotely a justifiable response.

I would have had at least five life sentences had I killed a woman just because she was a b***h to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 11:12 am

Mikah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Either way I doubt he killed her in self defense even the police mentioned she was no threat to him physically. If he was feeling so abused by her he could have left

I meant she probably started the violence, but that doesn't mean I see his killing of her as self-defense - as you say, there are other options besides killing in the vast majority of these cases. Still, whatever the law has to say about it, abusers who end up dead at the hands of their partners bear much responsibility for their own demise and deserve little sympathy in my book.

Are you just trying to entertain us by writing a TV script with a surprise ending? This is not an episode of "Murder She Wrote". This is a real case.

Yes it IS the usual assumption that the guy did it, and it also true that its not impossible that that assumption could be wrong, and that she was somehow the aggressor.

But really...how likely is it that she threatened to beat him death, and he had no choice but to kill her in self defense?

And in any case both of them obviously had issues and their relationship was toxic, and headed for a bad end regardless of which one was 51 percent to blame.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 3:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But really...how likely is it that she threatened to beat him death, and he had no choice but to kill her in self defense?

For the second time I am not saying such a scenario is "self defense".** I'm saying if you initiate violence and you receive violence in return, you don't get a lot of sympathy from me. Even less so if you are a repeated aggressor. If this had been abusive man murdered in the course of violence he initiated with his female partner, I doubt you'd all be so hostile to what I am saying.

**Edit: to clarify, if the situation played out as I imagine, given what we know and had he lived, he might have been tried for manslaughter, rather than murder. That is causing a wrongful death, while not being culpable to the same degree as murder.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 4:11 pm

Mikah wrote:
**Edit: to clarify, if the situation played out as I imagine, given what we know and had he lived, he might have been tried for manslaughter, rather than murder. That is causing a wrongful death, while not being culpable to the same degree as murder.

I think somebody else (perhaps Kraichgauer) said in another thread "you can't cross-examine a dead person).