Barbados becomes a republic, abolishes Governor-Generalship

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:11 pm

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-10-21/barbados-elects-first-ever-president-shedding-colonial-past

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:28 pm

It'd be nice if Canada could follow their lead.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 12:03 am

I wonder if there are any benefits left to remain part of the British commonwealth? Australians and New Zealanders have been debating this for some 20 years now.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 7:20 am

Australia had their chance to become a republic in the 90s, and they opted to retain the monarchy (I think there were issues with the type of republic that was being voted on ... I'm not sure, I was too young to vote at the time.)

I suspect it'll stay that way while Elizabeth II remains on the throne, in both Australia and NZ.
Afterwards, who knows?

Will Barbados stay in the Commonwealth after becoming a republic?

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 4:46 pm

It has been stated that they will remain in the Commonwealth.

Mason was Governor-General before she was elected president, ironically.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm

Murihiku wrote:
I suspect it'll stay that way while Elizabeth II remains on the throne, in both Australia and NZ.
Afterwards, who knows?

We had a referendum and even had support from conservatives like Malcolm Turnbull. But the ballot for the proposed republic was rejected.

I think regardless of the Queen, while the establishment of the royal family remains, there will continue to be a reluctance among Aussies and kiwis to leave the commonwealth.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Murihiku wrote:
Afterwards, who knows?

We had a referendum and even had support from conservatives like Malcolm Turnbull. But the ballot for the proposed republic was rejected.

I think regardless of the Queen, while the establishment of the royal family remains, there will continue to be a reluctance among Aussies and kiwis to leave the commonwealth.

I would assume that is entirely dependent on having a likeable royal family, that isn't overstepping. A dance Queen Elizabeth seems to have been adept at.

There is a certain amount of power in a commonwealth, I would assume. What I don't know is much money it costs you.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 8:19 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I would assume that is entirely dependent on having a likeable royal family, that isn't overstepping. A dance Queen Elizabeth seems to have been adept at.

I feel like Charles and William won't demonstrate the greatest moves so it wouldn't surprise me if one of them is the last King of Canada and/or Australia and/or New Zealand.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I agree. There'd be more support for becoming a republic (small as it is, right now) than for outright leaving the Commonwealth.

We can't even be bothered to change our flags. :P Why would we bother leaving the Commonwealth?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 9:55 pm

Murihiku wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I agree. There'd be more support for becoming a republic (small as it is, right now) than for outright leaving the Commonwealth.

We can't even be bothered to change our flags. :P Why would we bother leaving the Commonwealth?

We both understand the average Aussie/Kiwi likes the status Quo.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I feel like Charles and William won't demonstrate the greatest moves so it wouldn't surprise me if one of them is the last King of Canada and/or Australia and/or New Zealand.

You'd be surprised. William and Kate have become elevated as superheroes in the eyes of the public, As future monarchs they have been lauded for their work for charities ranging from the British defense forces, women, children and the environment. Kate is a style icon and her children have captured the imagination of a new generation who want to grow up watching George and Charlotte grow up to be princes and princesses. There's no surprise that Frozen, the Princess diaries, or princess bride are such popular kids shows. It's strongly embedded in the culture despite the "unkind" lampooning buffoons like Charles and Andrew rightly receive.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

You'd be surprised. William and Kate have become elevated as superheroes in the eyes of the public, As future monarchs they have been lauded for their work for charities ranging from the British defense forces, women, children and the environment. Kate is a style icon and her children have captured the imagination of a new generation who want to grow up watching George and Charlotte grow up to be princes and princesses. There's no surprise that Frozen, the Princess diaries, or princess bride are such popular kids shows. It's strongly embedded in the culture despite the "unkind" lampooning buffoons like Charles and Andrew rightly receive.

Weird, I don't see the same affection for them here. I don't see any dislike of them particularly, but I don't think Y or Z care much about the monarchy.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Weird, I don't see the same affection for them here. I don't see any dislike of them particularly, but I don't think Y or Z care much about the monarchy.

You would think so, given the comments in the street, comedians, news etc. But wait till it comes up for a ballot. At the end of the day, the majority of our populations (whether Canada, Australia or NZ) are of british extraction and when put to a kind of "Sophie's choice" would rather retain the monarchy as they grew up with it.

Even those who aren't Anglo like your Canadian Eugene Bouchard (who you would think would be a francophone) is a fan of the British Royals and is named after Andrew's daughter princess Eugenie. Curiously I work with a French Canadian who has three kids all named Charles, Elizabeth and Phillip :lol:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'd say there's a lot of affection for the monarchy here in the Antipodes, especially for the Queen. Not from everyone of course, but there's enough to secure the monarchy's role in public life here for some time. I think that Prince Charles has less support, but Prince William and Princess Kate have more. It's interesting how they still capture the hearts and minds of millions here ... not to mention the influence of shows like The Crown.

So long as they don't interfere with day-to-day politics in our countries, many of us don't mind having them around. It'd be interesting to see how this compares with attitudes in the other Commonwealth realms, though.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 10:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It has been stated that they will remain in the Commonwealth.

Mason was Governor-General before she was elected president, ironically.

Ironic perhaps, but also quite fitting, as she has the necessary experience to perform the role of Head of State. Best of luck to her in her new role.

I'm guessing the role of President will be a continuation of the role of Governor-General? Primarily serving ceremonial functions, rather than being substantially involved with day-to-day politics?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

You would think so, given the comments in the street, comedians, news etc. But wait till it comes up for a ballot. At the end of the day, the majority of our populations (whether Canada, Australia or NZ) are of british extraction and when put to a kind of "Sophie's choice" would rather retain the monarchy as they grew up with it.

Even those who aren't Anglo like your Canadian Eugene Bouchard (who you would think would be a francophone) is a fan of the British Royals and is named after Andrew's daughter princess Eugenie. Curiously I work with a French Canadian who has three kids all named Charles, Elizabeth and Phillip :lol:

How old are those people though? That's what I'm getting at, that younger demos don't have the same attachment as younger ones.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う