Barbados becomes a republic, abolishes Governor-Generalship

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
How old are those people though? That's what I'm getting at, that younger demos don't have the same attachment as younger ones.

I hate to quote the incomparable Shirley Bassey but its history repeating itself. The generation of young people who grew up in the 60s were more vocal in their opposition to vestiges of royalty, capitalism, wealth than any previous generation ushering a social revolution (or so we thought). These same little s**ts became enamoured with the corporate greed of the 1980s and the unfettered rise of new-capitalism and voting conservative stalwarts like Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. During this time the royal family became even more popular than in their previous history with the rise of Diana and the fairy tale continued.

We also thought the GFC in 1987 and the numerous scandals involved in the royal family (e.g. Charle's infidelity and Diana's death) would sink the royals. Instead the Queen shrugged her shoulders and told the commonwealth she had a "anus horribilis"). A few royal weddings later (William/Kate followed by Meaghan/Harry) and the royals are still popular.

9-11, COVID, another economic collapse, Prince Andrew raping kids.....despite all this I don't see anything in the tea leaves that we are going to jettison the monarchy.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 12:34 am

I wouldn't count on that pattern repeating. Generations that view that outcome as a failure might choose to not repeat it. The hippies weren't a multi-generational coalition in the same way that current movements that might resemble them are.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 1:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I wouldn't count on that pattern repeating. Generations that view that outcome as a failure might choose to not repeat it. The hippies weren't a multi-generational coalition in the same way that current movements that might resemble them are.

True, I'm reminded how social media gave rise to the Arab spring around 2010, Nobody saw that happening, Social media also helped Britain leave the EU. Quite possible group think is getting more homogenous than we realise.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

True, I'm reminded how social media gave rise to the Arab spring around 2010, Nobody saw that happening, Social media also helped Britain leave the EU. Quite possible group think is getting more homogenous than we realise.

I don't think it's just groupthink, I think it's also likely having more esteem for dirty hippie teenage boomers than the stereotypes of them as they aged.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I don't think it's just groupthink, I think it's also likely having more esteem for dirty hippie teenage boomers than the stereotypes of them as they aged.

That too...But I think it's easier today to canvass masses of young people on tik tok now and change their minds than writing essays in newspaper editorials.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That too...But I think it's easier today to canvass masses of young people on tik tok now and change their minds than writing essays in newspaper editorials.

Especially when the people on TikTok are their peers instead of someone their parents age working for a major publisher.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:23 am

peer to peer influence on social media is how the Arab spring started. It also played a role in younger Australians voting to make same sex marriage legal in Australia.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:12 pm

Britain's Prince Charles to visit Barbados to mark republic's birth
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britai ... 021-11-05/

Quote:
Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, will travel to Barbados to mark the Caribbean island's transition to a republic which entails the removal of Queen Elizabeth as head of state.

A former colony that gained independence in 1966, Barbados wants to remove Queen Elizabeth, Charles's mother, as its head of state and become a republic.

"HRH The Prince of Wales will visit Barbados to mark Barbados’s transition to a Republic within the Commonwealth," Clarence House said in a statement.

Last month, Barbados elected its first ever president to replace the queen.

Sandra Mason will be sworn in as president on Nov. 30, the country's 55th anniversary of independence from Britain.

Prime Minister Mia Mottley has said the time has come to leave behind the island's colonial past.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm

Charles must be fuming inside……

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 2:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Charles must be fuming inside……

I'm sure like his late father he enjoys wearing a full suite sitting in an airconditioned verandah of a 5 star hotel sipping a gin and tonic and watching the natives dance around in grass skirts for his entertainment.

Jolly good show

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 9:15 am

And it's done. Barbados has officially become a republic, with Dame Sandra Mason instated as President and Head of State.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-59470843

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 7:37 pm

Murihiku wrote:
And it's done. Barbados has officially become a republic, with Dame Sandra Mason instated as President and Head of State.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-59470843

May Barbados prosper for all who are a part of it now and for all future generations!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 7:38 pm

I'm surprised Barbados didn't become a republic in the 70s, like Trinidad and Tobago did.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 8:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm surprised Barbados didn't become a republic in the 70s, like Trinidad and Tobago did.

A lot of the people in the caribbean and pacific have a fondness for the British Royals. Trinidad and Tobago has a predominantly Indian population and an Indian prime minister but I am not sure if that has anything to do with their enthusiasm to leave the commonwealth?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 10:52 pm

Trinidad is about half black and half Indian.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 12:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trinidad is about half black and half Indian.

I think Guyana is also half Indian as well.