US conservative commentator demands US invades Australia

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,714

22 Oct 2021, 12:16 am

Outspoken conservative political commentator Candace Owens has suggested the US military invade Australia in order to free its people “suffering under a totalitarian regime” while drawing comparisons to Hitler, Stalin and the Taliban.

Owens made the comments on her self-titled Daily Wire TV show earlier this week, declaring Covid-19 had propelled the planet into an “ideological and psychological” global war.

“When do we deploy troops to Australia? When do we invade Australia and free an oppressed people who are suffering under a totalitarian regime? When do we spend trillions of dollars to spread democracy in Australia?” she asked.

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,483
Location: temperate zone

22 Oct 2021, 12:46 am

Well...

If they discover oil in Australia....THEN...the US will find a reason to FREE you folks! :lol:

Sorry Candace. No oil. No go.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,277
Location: Seattle-ish

22 Oct 2021, 12:59 am

Eh, we'll take Canada first, they actually have oil, though I think Australia might have some minerals we want, and it would make a nice strategic airfield if we ever seriously get into it with the Chinese.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,448
Location: Melbourne, Australia

22 Oct 2021, 1:28 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

If they discover oil in Australia....THEN...the US will find a reason to FREE you folks! :lol:

Sorry Candace. No oil. No go.


Does this help?
Quote:
The term oil encompasses the range of liquid hydrocarbons and includes crude oil and condensate:

Crude oil is a naturally-occurring liquid consisting mainly of hydrocarbons derived from the thermal and chemical alteration of organic matter buried in sedimentary basins. It is formed as organic-rich rocks are buried and heated over geological time.
Condensate is a liquid mixture of pentane and heavier hydrocarbons found in oil fields with associated gas or in gas fields. It is a gas in the subsurface reservoir, but condenses to form a liquid when produced and brought to the surface.

Australia has about 0.3 per cent of the world oil reserves. Most of Australia’s known remaining oil resources are condensate and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) associated with giant offshore gas fields in the Browse, Carnarvon and Bonaparte basins. In addition oil resources are identified in the Perth, Canning, Amadeus, Cooper/Eromanga, Bowen/Surat, Otway, Bass and Gippsland basins.

Source: https://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/energy/resources/petroleum-resources/oil


_________________
Quote:
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it" - Edith Sitwell
Quote:
"We count on the space of trust that confidentiality provides. When someone breaches that trust, we are all worse off for it." - Hillary Clinton

Quote:
"Sometimes I think that this is an era when sanity has become controversial." - Thomas Sowell


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,035
Location: Australia

22 Oct 2021, 2:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Outspoken conservative political commentator Candace Owens has suggested the US military invade Australia in order to free its people “suffering under a totalitarian regime” while drawing comparisons to Hitler, Stalin and the Taliban.

Owens made the comments on her self-titled Daily Wire TV show earlier this week, declaring Covid-19 had propelled the planet into an “ideological and psychological” global war.

“When do we deploy troops to Australia? When do we invade Australia and free an oppressed people who are suffering under a totalitarian regime? When do we spend trillions of dollars to spread democracy in Australia?” she asked.

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people


I'm all for it!
Chairman/Dictator Dan, in the Socialist State of Victoria, needs to be overthrown!

Bring back democracy! :mrgreen:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,035
Location: Australia

22 Oct 2021, 2:14 am

naturalgas wrote:
Well...

If they discover oil in Australia....THEN...the US will find a reason to FREE you folks! :lol:

Sorry Candace. No oil. No go.


We have a hell of a lot of unmined natural gas because of the moratorium.

Good enough? :scratch:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


Last edited by Pepe on 22 Oct 2021, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,035
Location: Australia

22 Oct 2021, 2:16 am

Dox47 wrote:
Eh, we'll take Canada first, they actually have oil, though I think Australia might have some minerals we want, and it would make a nice strategic airfield if we ever seriously get into it with the Chinese.


The Chinese are well aware of this, hence their desire to take over Australia.


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,714

22 Oct 2021, 2:34 am

It's interesting given Candace is planning to run for president in 2024
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/candac ... -president

I doubt she'd be elected but she'd be a serious contender for vice president under a 2nd Trump term of office. Should Australians be worried?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,483
Location: temperate zone

22 Oct 2021, 7:42 pm

Pepe wrote:
naturalgas wrote:
Well...

If they discover oil in Australia....THEN...the US will find a reason to FREE you folks! :lol:

Sorry Candace. No oil. No go.


We have a hell of a lot of unmined natural gas because of the moratorium.

Good enough? :scratch:


Sounds good.

Well...just manufacture ...er...I mean....FIND...some evidence that your governor of Victoria is...hiding WMDs...we will come storming your beaches. :D



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,035
Location: Australia

22 Oct 2021, 7:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalgas wrote:
Well...

If they discover oil in Australia....THEN...the US will find a reason to FREE you folks! :lol:

Sorry Candace. No oil. No go.


We have a hell of a lot of unmined natural gas because of the moratorium.

Good enough? :scratch:


Sounds good.

Well...just manufacture ...er...I mean....FIND...some evidence that your governor of Victoria is...hiding WMDs...we will come storming your beaches. :D


Would you prefer if we shipped him over with them to you in a crate with straw and air holes? :scratch: :mrgreen:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,360
Location: Northern California

22 Oct 2021, 7:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people


Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its often - in their opinion - only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.


_________________
Mom to an amazing young adult AS son, plus an also amazing non-AS daughter. Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


Last edited by DW_a_mom on 22 Oct 2021, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,814
Location: I'm right here

22 Oct 2021, 7:57 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people


Didn't you know that the US right wing doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.


It seems to be how they protect themselves from realizing they're a shrinking minority trying to impose their preferences on the majority.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,360
Location: Northern California

22 Oct 2021, 8:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people


Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its often - in their opinion - only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.


It seems to be how they protect themselves from realizing they're a shrinking minority trying to impose their preferences on the majority.


Put that together with voting suppression measures hidden as voter reform, and you have a segment that is determined to hold and exert power with minimal worrying about actually selling it to anyone. Key leadership knows what its doing, I am confident of that, but that so many fall for it is quite distressing to me.

American Democracy is in more danger than most of us are willing to recognize. What I don't have a clue about is what to actually do. I'm just holding onto the hope that our checks and balances can keep the worst of the problems in check. We've recovered from outright constitutional disasters before, so hopefully can get past the peril.

Meanwhile, sorry to see Australia being used as a propaganda football.


_________________
Mom to an amazing young adult AS son, plus an also amazing non-AS daughter. Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,814
Location: I'm right here

22 Oct 2021, 8:17 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people


Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its often - in their opinion - only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.


It seems to be how they protect themselves from realizing they're a shrinking minority trying to impose their preferences on the majority.


Put that together with voting suppression measures hidden as voter reform, and you have a segment that is determined to hold and exert power with minimal worrying about actually selling it to anyone. Key leadership knows what its doing, I am confident of that, but that so many fall for it is quite distressing to me.

American Democracy is in more danger than most of us are willing to recognize. What I don't have a clue about is what to actually do. I'm just holding onto the hope that our checks and balances can keep the worst of the problems in check. We've recovered from outright constitutional disasters before, so hopefully can get past the peril.

Meanwhile, sorry to see Australia being used as a propaganda football.


To be fair, Candace Owens isn't exactly a serious commentator. She's a perennial also-ran who's just looking to draw more eyeballs to herself by spewing guano. I don't think her opinion here is going to resonate because I'm not even sure she seriously believes it.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,360
Location: Northern California

22 Oct 2021, 8:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

While US rightwing commentators are keen to portray Australians suffering under tyranny, the public health measures adopted by federal, state and territory governments have been overwhelmingly supported by the Australian population.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sed-people


Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its often - in their opinion - only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.


It seems to be how they protect themselves from realizing they're a shrinking minority trying to impose their preferences on the majority.


Put that together with voting suppression measures hidden as voter reform, and you have a segment that is determined to hold and exert power with minimal worrying about actually selling it to anyone. Key leadership knows what its doing, I am confident of that, but that so many fall for it is quite distressing to me.

American Democracy is in more danger than most of us are willing to recognize. What I don't have a clue about is what to actually do. I'm just holding onto the hope that our checks and balances can keep the worst of the problems in check. We've recovered from outright constitutional disasters before, so hopefully can get past the peril.

Meanwhile, sorry to see Australia being used as a propaganda football.


To be fair, Candace Owens isn't exactly a serious commentator. She's a perennial also-ran who's just looking to draw more eyeballs to herself by spewing guano. I don't think her opinion here is going to resonate because I'm not even sure she seriously believes it.


I did move quite a bit beyond the current situation, using your comment to my comment on her comment more as a jumping off point for some distantly related observations I've had.


_________________
Mom to an amazing young adult AS son, plus an also amazing non-AS daughter. Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,277
Location: Seattle-ish

22 Oct 2021, 8:44 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Didn't you know that the US right wing generally doesn't trust any polls except their own? And that it wouldn't matter how much evidence there was on the prevailing local opinion, as long as there was anyone shouting tyranny?

I'm not even being ironic. I can't remember ever being able to convince a conservative debate opponent that they hold a minority opinion regardless of how much I show them. When they do know their position is unpopular, its often - in their opinion - only because everyone else is brainwashed. I must say, the right way has concocted the perfect propaganda machine.


You say all that as if it's unique to the right, when it's just less subtle on that side. Have you ever seen me convince a liberal of anything even when what we're arguing about is on video and it's obvious they're incorrect?


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson