Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2021, 3:54 am

Have you been told that you were analytical and that this could be your ASD-strenght?
I was told to study computer programming and I tried a little but I wasn't actually that good at it.
I am more a person who likes how to express myself physically, eg playing music, using my voice (singing and speaking) and so on.
Isn't the "analytical people should study computer programming" just a stereotype?
Can we use our analytical strengths in other ways? I guess a lot of people like to say that being physical isn't our strengths but I am not so happy about that. Some of us have difficulties with physical expression but can train and become very good at it. What do you think?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:29 am

I'm pretty good at proofreading.

But when I went to college to study computer programming, I found I completely sucked at it. Seriously, I was crap. I found that I didn't understand it at all. It was like a foreign language without any rules.

Somehow I got through Java, but when I started C# I just stalled.

Maybe it was because I wasn't that interested when I started the classes. I didn't have the passion for it.

If you like and enjoy making music and singing, keep up with them. They may be your "thing".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:35 am

Millions of folks are good at jumping straight up, but not everyone who is good at jumping is destined to be in the NBA.

You did the right thing. Took a stab at computer programming. You might try it again. You might get the goblin. But its no disgrace if you're not good at it. Not everyone who has analytical skills(nT or AS) is cut out to be a computer programmer. And certainly not all aspies/autistics become computer programmers. And yes there are other ways to use analytical skills than being a computer programmer.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 5:41 am

Those neurological variants that combine to produce Aspergers still have a good bit of variability within that definition. However, a path through life does not necessarily depend on the optimum physiological configuration. What interests us can be an even greater factor.

A person is very capable of being a good programmer. However, he may prefer art. He may not be the best artist in the world, but if his passion drives him to try, he may even make a living at it.

Many people work in jobs they are good at because of the income the get. However, when your interest lies in a different direction, it can cause one to feel trapped.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2021, 5:47 am

renaeden wrote:
I'm pretty good at proofreading. I like natural languges.

But when I went to college to study computer programming, I found I completely sucked at it. Seriously, I was crap. I found that I didn't understand it at all. It was like a foreign language without any rules.

Somehow I got through Java, but when I started C# I just stalled.

Maybe it was because I wasn't that interested when I started the classes. I didn't have the passion for it.

If you like and enjoy making music and singing, keep up with them. They may be your "thing".

I am also good at proofreading.
Why do you think some people who are professionals and work with people on ASD spectrum assume that analytical aspies would good at computer programming? I am not refering to people who believe in stereotypes. I was told by such a professionals that I should be good at computer programming because of my analytical skills. Sometimes people assume things to be true that are not really that true. In programming you have to understand how the system works. I guess many of us are people who want to understand the system. For me it is not athe comouter programming system (whatever that refers to).
Some think that most (male?) aspies who get a job are scientists or work with computers. Tony Attwood on the other hand thinks that a lot of aspies who get a job are actors. Actors need to be analytical too, I guess. That's the stereotype.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2021, 5:49 am

timf wrote:
A person is very capable of being a good programmer. However, he may prefer art. He may not be the best artist in the world, but if his passion drives him to try, he may even make a living at it.

and aspies only do what they fel like doing?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 5:50 am

You can get labelled analytical for understanding a single thing that an incompetent labelling authority can't. If you are seriously analytical, you'll know many things that you have worked out for yourself. This, like programming, requires logic, but programming requires more creativity to plan a course of action. There are other opportunities that are better for people who can ferret out useful information from raw data. Which fields are already attracting your curiosity?

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2021, 5:57 am

Dear_one wrote:
Which fields are already attracting your curiosity?

I like music, acting, movies and psychology of pedagogy and philosophy. I am mainly a the music guy I guess.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 6:08 am

Dandansson wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I like music, acting, movies and psychology of pedagogy and philosophy. I am mainly a the music guy I guess.

Do you have an analytical approach to them? Can it help you to do good things in your field?

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2021, 6:15 am

Dear_one wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Do you have an analytical approach to them? Can it help you to do good things in your field?

I am very analytical. Extremely I think!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 4:31 pm

I've read that many Aspies are attracted to computers--but it is not obligatory.

There might be a common thread, however, between computers, proofreading and music: attention to detail.

I've told folk that I do not get to choose what I am interested in and I imagine that is also true for you. It sounds like you are interested details, just not the same details I am interested in.