Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 3:17 pm

SharonB wrote:
...My son probably has ADHD (and not ASD) and his teacher kindly commented that he is now able to keep his head in one place, focused on his work, even though his body is everywhere else around his desk. We had a foster son with ADHD and in order to read a difficult book he balanced on one foot on a post in order to stay in one place: busy in place.

When I was a kid I used to get out of my seat a lot and stand there so I could fidget more and get more vestibular input. I couldn't handle just sitting there and reading assignments and books. It looked like I was getting distracted by standing and fidgeting, but sitting there was actually distracting me and messing with my attention.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:40 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I do the foot rocking thing, too, which is interesting. I've heard of other people with ASD doing that when lying down to go to sleep, and even people in my family do it.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else doing it before, but I'm not sure that I've ever brought up the subject here at WP.
Seems like it would probably be a common stim, but honestly, I don't really think about it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:54 pm

No I can't sit still.

I can't even sit. I sprawl, or lie down on the sofa / bed / floor, or twist like a pretzel in weird shapes.

I don't use chairs.

Even when I'm sprawling as above, I'm stimming. I even stim in my sleep.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 10:13 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I do the foot rocking thing, too, which is interesting. I've heard of other people with ASD doing that when lying down to go to sleep, and even people in my family do it.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else doing it before, but I'm not sure that I've ever brought up the subject here at WP.
Seems like it would probably be a common stim, but honestly, I don't really think about it.

Yes I do that too. I sometimes put my hands between my thighs too when I’m going to sleep or kind sway my body too.. these are calming things for me. Interesting others move their feet too whilst going to sleep I too thought I was the only one who did these things

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 10:17 pm

Hey hero.

I don’t often sit still and especially when I’m standing I move a lot and people often say dude stand still.. it’s probably weird now I think about it.. when people are talking to me face to face :/ I only really sit or stand still if I’m thinking about something or concentrating. (Well trying to)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 10:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
No I can't sit still.

I can't even sit. I sprawl, or lie down on the sofa / bed / floor, or twist like a pretzel in weird shapes.

I don't use chairs.

When I sit I usually sit in weird positions. I specifically like having my knees up to my chest and sitting like that. I find it hard to keep my limbs relaxed and not all bunched up into me. lol

What kind of stims do you do when you sleep? I don't think a move a lot in my sleep, besides for changing my position.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 10:37 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
Hey hero.

I don’t often sit still and especially when I’m standing I move a lot and people often say dude stand still.. it’s probably weird now I think about it.. when people are talking to me face to face :/ I only really sit or stand still if I’m thinking about something or concentrating. (Well trying to)

People think I'm on drugs or something all the time because I am incapable of standing still. It must be super weird to observe. lmao

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 11:11 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
No I can't sit still.

I don't use chairs.

When I sit I usually sit in weird positions. I specifically like having my knees up to my chest and sitting like that. I find it hard to keep my limbs relaxed and not all bunched up into me. lol

What kind of stims do you do when you sleep? I don't think a move a lot in my sleep, besides for changing my position.

I even lie down on the floor beside my mother's dining room table after Christmas dinner or on other formal meals.
Others are finishing dessert and I'm there looking like a freak in my Sunday best. :roll:

I move a lot in my sleep. Rhythmic hip movements which make me look like I'm humping the mattress (whoops), wringing my hands, playing with my Tickle (piece of satin), grinding my teeth, flexing my toes ... constant movement. I also have a sleep disorder where I act out dreams because my muscles don't go rigid like they're supposed to. I've been known to sit up sound asleep or even attack whoever is in bed with me (trauma response). It's kind of like sleepwalking but I'm not really walking. Except for the time in May this year when I found myself naked in the back garden, looking for my dog but calling my cat's name.

It's not unusual for me to wake up with the mattress almost completely on the floor (slid off the box spring), and all my pillows and blankets strewn around the room from moving so much.

And people wonder why I won't get married again.

LMAO

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:13 am

My flatmate jiggles her feet and hips while in the lighter stages of sleep. We tried looking up what it is she does and why but couldn't find answers.

As for me, no I can't sit still. It's the only hyperactive criterion I meet for ADHD. I'm otherwise inattentive. I also have motor tic disorder which makes me wriggle like a worm sometimes.

I also rock when standing, forward and backward.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 1:53 am

I used to have thar problem. I remember seeing people sitting perfectly still and wishing I could. But these days it's not as much of an issue. I suppose I basically grew out of it. And I mean grew out of it somewhere in my 40s-50s.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:44 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
...Rhythmic hip movements...

Yep, I do that also, mostly in bed or when I can't sway in public. And my ASD daughter does that. I reported that as another data point of 100s for her being ASD (like me) and the evaluator just looked at me blankly (and my daughter -as you may be aware from my other angst-filled posts was not diagnosed with ASD).

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

renaeden wrote:
My flatmate jiggles her feet and hips while in the lighter stages of sleep. We tried looking up what it is she does and why but couldn't find answers.

As for me, no I can't sit still. It's the only hyperactive criterion I meet for ADHD. I'm otherwise inattentive. I also have motor tic disorder which makes me wriggle like a worm sometimes.

I also rock when standing, forward and backward.

I have motor tics, but they are often just things like face scrunching + shoulder shrugging, and things like that. I also sway from side-to-side a lot when sitting or standing.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:58 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I used to have thar problem. I remember seeing people sitting perfectly still and wishing I could. But these days it's not as much of an issue. I suppose I basically grew out of it. And I mean grew out of it somewhere in my 40s-50s.

I hope I grow out of it eventually. Like you said, I often look at people sitting still and wish I could do that (+ wonder how the hell they do it lol).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

SharonB wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
...Rhythmic hip movements...

Yep, I do that also, mostly in bed or when I can't sway in public. And my ASD daughter does that. I reported that as another data point of 100s for her being ASD (like me) and the evaluator just looked at me blankly (and my daughter -as you may be aware from my other angst-filled posts was not diagnosed with ASD).

I'm sorry you're still dealing with that stupid evaluator person!

You should see me standing still in public. I just can't! I end up turning around slowly in circles, rocking up and down on my toes, sitting on the ground or the floor with my legs crossed, or doing ballet pirouettes and "TA-DA!" motions like a gymnast who just landed a routine.

I think a lot of it is ASD / stim, and some of it is my ADHD.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 7:46 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
I sometimes put my hands between my thighs too when I’m going to sleep or kind sway my body too..

I have to sleep with something to hug, but if I can't sleep I might try laying on my side, and I'll usually put a spare pillow or blanket or something between my knees. I think that's pretty common with most people, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 7:59 pm

I woke up today with a thumb-shaped bruise on each forearm. I must have been gripping myself with my arms crossed, either last night or in the past few days. I go to sleep on my stomach so that's not a position I'd do voluntarily. I've noticed whenever I wake up from a bad dream I'm on my back like a dead person pose with my hands clasped.

I actually read that sleeping on your back is more likely to cause nightmares for some reason. Something about the flow of neurotransmitters.

Anyway I'm getting off topic but I thought the bruises were kind of interesting.