Do you find that you are more sensitive to emotional things?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:25 am

I am more sensitive to near everything and that includes emotional. That said, I sometimes go "off" and then I am, or appear, to be less sensitive.

By BFF's BF won't interact with me. If I think about it, it's unbearable. So I push it aside as much as I can. My sister resents me. I woke up just this morning thinking about all the misunderstandings in my relationship with her and wondering what action to take. But any action I would take would be "too much" for either of these NT folks. I'm not one to moderate, so often I am silent and then the ruminations continue on and off.

In my 20s I told a friend I felt like I had a glass ball and could see what was going on with everyone. He said it was distorted. Part of that could have been amplification. I see this with my ASD daughter. My son cries and b/c he cries she screams. His upset is a 3-4 and hers is a 5-6. Isn't there something about "overactive" mirror neurons in ASD folks?

meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

A lot of people here trying to smokescreen and hide that this is very likely resulting from your autism. They're feeling embarrassed by you and trying to manipulate you into believing it's normal. Ignore them.

There's real biological problems that result from autism. It is a whole-body disorder. There are many emotional regulation problems that can arise, and social situations being particularly challenging is a core feature of autism. Take special action to protect yourself different from what a NT expects to do. Doing anything you can to keep from feeling suicidal is worth it.

A medical treatment is likely the fastest way to treat this, but options are limited right now. Look into folate treatment, ask a doctor about methylfolate or leucovorin (folinic acid). It helps me regulate my mood and boost my mental function so I don't shut down as often

Lastly, find a support network. As unpopular as it is to mention today, look for church communities. They at least believe in helping the weak and vulnerable. I have my best friendships through a church. If you don't believe, just tell them that. They would still be happy to talk to you

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:19 am

Depends on health,stress levels, sleep levels, tiredness, exhaustion, mood, external pressure. My sensitivity can change.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Kanashiihawk21
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Oct 2021, 8:31 pm

lvpin wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone reacted to reacting to things a lot more strongly than neurotypicals tend to. For example, while I find my neurotypical friends obviously get upset and anxious if someone doesn't like them but to me, it drives me insane and sometimes makes me suicidal. Another example is a friend suddenly cut me off and I feel like the normal response would be to be upset and maybe cry a little then move on. It has been weeks and I am still getting nightmares and keep on feeling like I will have a panic attack when I see people that look like them which is a WAY more dramatic reaction than what would be expected :'). Do you relate to having reactions to these things a lot stronger than most people? It'd be nice to know it isn't just me because I find it so embarrassing ;-;

For me, yes... I am an "odd duck" as I am AS but also very highly empathic. At nearly 58 yrs old, I had to learn how to construct a very unique way to help ME deal with things so as to not get "caught up" in emotional drama. Let me explain...Lets say I am driving to work, and some rude person cuts me off... I get immediately irate and go to smash my hand into the dashboard repeatedly (which would NOT be helpful at all, and would be considered a bit of a melt-down, yeah?) OK, so instead.... Rewind... "rude person" cuts me off, and in my mind I weave and ELABORATE story on how they are hurrying to the bedside of their loved one whom is dying of cancer...(and well you get the idea) as am EMPATH, my mind immediately FLIPS and I become incapable of hitting the dashboard and then I just blink an eye and go, "OK, Rude Roger is on-route to visit his dying Sister, I wish him well..Nor worries from me". No more anger at all, and Rude Roger is forgotten...All that happens literally in a nanosecond. It took me DECADES to perfect it!
When I was a young teen and young adult, my emotions too were not very helpful and hurtful (to myself). If I could go "Back in Time" and talk to my younger self, I would tell myself that NO person, so situation is worth ME hurting myself for them...Period. I have come to care about myself too much.

And YES, you can find a friend in time, if you wish. I would say stop trying to look...Maybe out there someone else likes cuddly animals. Not everything must be drama, we can have "pen friends" we chat with and such. Best of luck!
Warmly,
Jackie

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 3:26 am

Quote:
A lot of people here trying to smokescreen and hide that this is very likely resulting from your autism. They're feeling embarrassed by you and trying to manipulate you into believing it's normal. Ignore them.

If that's aimed at me, it's a bit inaccurate because for one I'm just one person not "a lot of people", and another thing is I am not feeling embarrassed by the OP or trying to manipulate. I'm just not the sort to directly blame everything solely on autism. I often read on WP that NTs are the "really emotional" ones while autistics are logical and rational. While that's not true for me, it's been said enough on WP, that NTs think in emotions, breathe in emotions, know everything about emotions and act upon emotion.