Do you find that you are more sensitive to emotional things?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 3:05 am

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone reacted to reacting to things a lot more strongly than neurotypicals tend to. For example, while I find my neurotypical friends obviously get upset and anxious if someone doesn't like them but to me, it drives me insane and sometimes makes me suicidal. Another example is a friend suddenly cut me off and I feel like the normal response would be to be upset and maybe cry a little then move on. It has been weeks and I am still getting nightmares and keep on feeling like I will have a panic attack when I see people that look like them which is a WAY more dramatic reaction than what would be expected :'). Do you relate to having reactions to these things a lot stronger than most people? It'd be nice to know it isn't just me because I find it so embarrassing ;-;

EdCase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2021, 3:28 am

I don't generally react to things that strongly. This is learned behaviour.

I do find it hard to let things go though when I don't understand them. I will go over them again and again in a useless loop trying to work it out, but I don't have the information that would answer the question. e.g. being cut off without knowing why. It's more the puzzle than the fact it happened though I think.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 3:44 am

Yes, I react really strongly to rejection as well. I believe this is because most NT-s when they get rejected by 1 person, they have a bunch of other people to fall back on, while I don't. What is the most frustrating about it is that most NT-s don't realize that I get emotionally hurt. Quite the opposite, they assume I have no emotions. Yet, at the same time, they fully acknowledge I am obsessing about it -- in fact they get frustrated by my obsessing. So what I don't understand is how can they even conceptualize the idea that I would obsess over something that I PRESUMABLY don't feel? Yet thats exactly how they perceive me. And that feels very frustrating since I don't get emotional support I so badly need.

Apart from that, I also feel bad for flowers. So if I were to buy a flower I would buy the one in soil rather than cut one. I also noticed some things are sold in soil that are meant for food. But I decided to buy them and grow them instead of eating them. I also feel bad for flowers on the road and take them off the road so that the car won't drive over them, and even try to plant them in the soil nearby if nobody is looking. I don't do that good of a job of it, just a gesture, but that clears my consciousness. I also noticed that my mom used a thing that looked like duck face for soap. I felt bad for it constantly having soap in its eyes, so when I was going back to school, I sneaked it out into my bag in order to rescue it from my mom.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 4:23 am

I can definitely relate.
About a year ago a colleague suddenly stopped greeting me, and seemed to avoid me. Previously (for a couple of years) she had been really nice and social.
And I overreacted, or did I?
It still hurts, and has scarred me. We weren't friends but it seemed to me like we got along fine.
It takes me back to school, where I didn't get to play with the other kids...
Breaks my self confidence.

/Mats

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 5:38 am

I do tend to overanalyze things and feel hurt easily. But my mum has always been the same and she's neurotypical but with anxiety. So it might be an anxiety/depression thing, being oversensitive.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:01 am

Joe90 wrote:
I do tend to overanalyze things and feel hurt easily.

I am glad you put the word "overanalyze" and the word "hurt" in the same sentence. Because other people accuse me of overanalyzing (yes thats the word they use) *but* they tend to assume that it implies I am all-logic-no-emotion, so they decide I can't get hurt. I can't get it through to them that it is the exact opposite to what they assume: I overanalyze BECAUSE I get hurt. In fact I keep asking THEM: just how would they explain my motive for overanalyzing if they assume I have no emotion? They never gave me satisfactory answer to this question. All they do is assume that overanalyzing = logic and more logic means less emotions. I can't get it through to them that logic is the way I DEAL with emotions!! !

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:30 am

I not only overanalyze, I also underanalyze.

/Mats

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 7:10 am

look up trauma and hyper vigilance... being on a high state of alert for anything and everything all senses and emotions always ready to blast off, fight, flight, not as often freeze and fawn (appeasement). I call it 'stampede mode" and I have been that way most of my life. abusive punishment before I could even speak hard wired me and although I am much better now, it is still how I have spent most of my life. Fear has been the predominant feeling I have experienced all my long years. Are you anxious and fearful, have you suffered trauma? I understand almost all the Why questions from my past now I am beginning to understand my autism and how it worked in my life all along without my knowing or even having a clue. Best wishes

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:36 am

EdCase wrote:

I do find it hard to let things go though when I don't understand them. I will go over them again and again in a useless loop trying to work it out, but I don't have the information that would answer the question. e.g. being cut off without knowing why. It's more the puzzle than the fact it happened though I think.

Yes I get this too! People treat me very weirdly sometimes and I obsess over it if I can't think of any possible explanation. I've been fine with people multiple times one day and the next they seem disgusted and even when it is years ago I obsess over it because I don't know what I did. There would be no argument etc, they'd smile at me as we said bye one day then bam they look revolted. It's confusing.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
I do tend to overanalyze things and feel hurt easily. But my mum has always been the same and she's neurotypical but with anxiety. So it might be an anxiety/depression thing, being oversensitive.

I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and BPD traits so it makes sense but both of those are often comorbid with autism so I wondered if people without either also experience this. I'm sorry that you relate to it too :')

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:40 am

autisticelders wrote:
look up trauma and hyper vigilance... being on a high state of alert for anything and everything all senses and emotions always ready to blast off, fight, flight, not as often freeze and fawn (appeasement). I call it 'stampede mode" and I have been that way most of my life. abusive punishment before I could even speak hard wired me and although I am much better now, it is still how I have spent most of my life. Fear has been the predominant feeling I have experienced all my long years. Are you anxious and fearful, have you suffered trauma? I understand almost all the Why questions from my past now I am beginning to understand my autism and how it worked in my life all along without my knowing or even having a clue. Best wishes

I'll look into that because unfortunately I have experienced trauma, a lot of it caused by growing up autistic without the people around me knowing before my diagnosis. It was like being gaslit for years and that isn't even taking into account the bullying and some other stuff.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 1:37 pm

lvpin wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone reacted to reacting to things a lot more strongly than neurotypicals tend to. For example, while I find my neurotypical friends obviously get upset and anxious if someone doesn't like them but to me, it drives me insane and sometimes makes me suicidal. Another example is a friend suddenly cut me off and I feel like the normal response would be to be upset and maybe cry a little then move on. It has been weeks and I am still getting nightmares and keep on feeling like I will have a panic attack when I see people that look like them which is a WAY more dramatic reaction than what would be expected :'). Do you relate to having reactions to these things a lot stronger than most people? It'd be nice to know it isn't just me because I find it so embarrassing ;-;
Yes. This is very common for us. Because just like many of us don't have filters for sensory stimuli, we don't have them for emotional stimuli either. I have been regularly suicidal from emotional overload for 45 years since I was ten years old. It's just my normal.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

EdCase wrote:

What is learned behavior? Is the learned behavior that you don't react strongly? Because I can promise you that my strong reactions are not learned behavior at all.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 1:43 pm

I am also extremely analytical. I analyze everything all the time. I need to do that to survive. I have to analyze to make sense of everything in my life. But I also am very emotionally affected and can be extremely emotional. I am also an empath. So it's an interesting combination.

Wreck It Ralph

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 1:44 pm

Sorta, it happens in a box and if I pay attention to the box I am, if I ignore it I'm not.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

EdCase

26 Oct 2021, 1:58 am

skibum wrote:
EdCase wrote:

What is learned behavior? Is the learned behavior that you don't react strongly? Because I can promise you that my strong reactions are not learned behavior at all.

Yes. Not reacting strongly is the learned behaviour. If you don't react strongly (externally) it is less likely that people will deliberately try to evoke a response for their amusement or other malicious reason. As I got older I also react less internally too. Over time it gets easier but it I am.. dampened.

It isn't a perfect approach. There are pros and cons. It is generally a pro in the work setting though I think.