Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2021, 7:36 pm

I used to think that novelty seeking is contradictory to ASD. But then I found this article:
https://autismandoughtisms.wordpress.co ... he-circle/

Anyone relates?

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2021, 12:07 am

No other novelty seekers here?

Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 3:24 am

I think I heard somewhere that the ASD + ADHD combo can make people more inclined seek out new experiences and perspectives.

I don't have ADHD (been screened) but I hate doing the same twice for things I like, and love doing the same thing over and over again in situations that stress me. Thus I always commute on the same minute to work, but I've never read the same book twice as I don't want to regurgitate something I've already understood.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 3:37 am

i like new things,i like variation, new experiences.....within a framework thats familiar though. i also like linear orderly procession . i'd say it's 50/50 need for novelty/familiarity. too much of one and you get bored , too much of another you get stressed.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:38 am

interesting post. I read the blog link that was referenced as well. When I think of my own interests I am so excited to learn new things about them. Novelty feeds the interest. I have branched off into other interests over a period of time and each time it is the excitement of learning something new, seeing the same thing but in a different perspective because more information is added. Usually my interests branch out from the original interest to something only partly related or something different about the new thing , new information from new sources, new locations to explore, etc. I spend little time going over things I have learned, I am always after the new information.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 8:52 am

The older I get the more obsessive compulsive disorder I get

Comfort zone not too large

When I first got college at 18, it seemed like a the world opened up, because old man and old woman did not micromanage or scrutinize my every move. Upon closer inspection, many other limiting factors (reagent), restricted what I could do. For example, financial, autism

Expanding comfort zone is a good thing. However sometimes it is necessary to do repetitive labor for a functional purpose

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:22 am

I often seek out new experiences with food. I'll try anything once (unless my allergies or sensitivities are in play). I'm still quite picky about textures/flavors though :) I'm just willing to take that risk!

I also like hiking new trails (despite the discomfort of leaving my safety bubble) and discovering/photographing species--so I guess that overlaps with my SPINs?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm

I think a lot of the "fear of novelty" in autistic people is a rational response to sensory hypersensitivity in a world that isn't accepting of their needs.

For example, I'm a lot more willing to try new foods in situations where I have the freedom to do so in a way that poses lower risk of sensory discomfort or feeling deprived. If I'm in a restaurant and know that I'm only allowed to order one meal, and if I don't like it, I have to eat it anyway or face a nasty argument with my Mom, I'm only going to order someone I'm certain I will like - which tends to be the same thing every single time. Even if the consequences are simply "watch everyone else eat while I go hungry until we pick up lower-quality food for me afterwards", that's unpleasant enough that I'm not willing to take a chance on a new food.

But if I'm at a store with enough money to buy multiple snacks, I might pick up something new alongside a snack I know I like. If I try it and don't like it, I can eat the other snack, no big deal.

The thing is, most NTs could order anything on a decent restaurant menu and expect to receive food that is at least tolerable for them. The same is definitely not true for most autistic people. And unlike vegans and people with allergies, we generally can't describe our food requirements concisely and NT-understandably enough to get good information from wait staff while ordering.

The same applies to lots of other sensory issues besides food. For example, restaurants also carry the risk of being trapped in an overloading environment where you could get in trouble for leaving unexpectedly (because you haven't paid for your food). So maybe you only go to the restaurant you've gone to before and know plays soft music, isn't very busy and has comfortable booths, instead of taking a chance on a new place. Same with going to any new venue, especially if there are any negative consequences for leaving prematurely, or if you might not be physically capable of leaving (eg you can't get off partway through a plane trip, for example).

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2021, 2:11 pm

autisticelders wrote:
interesting post. I read the blog link that was referenced as well. When I think of my own interests I am so excited to learn new things about them. Novelty feeds the interest. I have branched off into other interests over a period of time and each time it is the excitement of learning something new, seeing the same thing but in a different perspective because more information is added. Usually my interests branch out from the original interest to something only partly related or something different about the new thing , new information from new sources, new locations to explore, etc. I spend little time going over things I have learned, I am always after the new information.

Is there a particular kind of information and locations you prefer?