Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 5:51 am

Eh, it was OK, had some good sequences, but I found it very disjointed and hard to follow as it had been a while since I'd seen Spectre, and the movie requires a good working memory of that film to make sense. I never did figure out exactly what the villain's plot was, it really did seem to be just killing a bunch of people with an engineered plague because he had a bad childhood, but I also had a hard time with the actor's accent; I feel like the villain either needs a clear plot or a clear accent, as having both be difficult to understand just didn't work. Aside from some suspect demographics inside MI6 and one particularly bad kiss off (apparently mass murder is fine, but make a semi racist remark and it's instant death time), the movie wasn't particularly woke, which was a relief, and the black female 007 wasn't too annoying as they didn't try to make her too perfect, which I'd worried about going in.

I have to say, whatever they do with the series in the future, I hope they return to the unserialized format of the older films, I felt like there was enough time in between the movies to make it hard to recall specific plot points between them, and I don't think it added much to the character of James Bond to give him a backstory and an arc, he's not supposed to have those things, particularly with the way they replace actors periodically. My favorite 007 conspiracy theory, BTW, is that it's not just the 007 designation that goes with the status as an elite British government assassin (he's never been a spy), but also the Jame Bond identity itself, that when one retires or is killed in action, the next guy not only gets the job but the work name and documentation, keeping England's enemies off guard for this super agent who seems to change name and appearance every few years, but always gets the job done.

I do hope they tap Idress Elba as the next one, he'd really be perfect skin color completely aside.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 12:54 am

As far as a villain's accent making him unintelligible, that happened with Gert Forbe in the title role of Goldfinger had to be dubbed over, because his German accent was just too difficult to understand.