Did people ask why you didn't do sports?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

I was way too uncoordinated to do sports. No one who was in a gym class with me ever dared to ask why I didn't play sports because the reason was very obvious. lol

armandreyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2021, 7:38 pm

yes

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 4:10 pm

My high school alma mater had no sports teams and IMO, was a good thing.

My college has plenty of intramural teams, but I haven't had many opportunities to join any.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 9:41 pm

I don't remember being asked if I played sports. I didn't play your usual ones, but I did horseback ride so I would tell them that if they did ask. Not that whomever asked considered horseback riding a sport. Plenty of people certainly didn't think it was

I was often asked if I played basketball though. And I would sometimes get a "why not?" when I said no.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 10:24 pm

People don't generally realize how sporty it can be getting around by bicycle. First off, it is good for we clumsy ones, as the feet are guided in circles. It does require pretty good handlebar control, balance, and general driving skills, though. The sport comes in when you get both lazy and in a hurry. An experienced rider can do the same trip in the same time as a beginner on HALF the oxygen, even with the overhead of living. You learn when to push, but more about when to coast, so you seldom use the brakes. Your legs learn to work with the cranks instead of against them, and changing gears to stay in your best range becomes automatic. Even better, in city traffic, there are all sorts of ways to stay safe, visible, and fast. Timing the traffic lights and sometimes passing cars, while never being an obstruction, nor chancing an opening door on a parked car takes a lot of thinking, and it is immediately rewarding to get it right.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm

Alterity wrote:
I don't remember being asked if I played sports. I didn't play your usual ones, but I did horseback ride so I would tell them that if they did ask. Not that whomever asked considered horseback riding a sport. Plenty of people certainly didn't think it was

I was often asked if I played basketball though. And I would sometimes get a "why not?" when I said no.

Well, maybe they're judging based on your height, if you're a very tall woman - I'm assuming they wouldn't be dumb enough to ask that if you were the height of say, Reese Witherspoon or Kristin Bell or one of the Olsen Twins :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

Alterity wrote:
I don't remember being asked if I played sports. I didn't play your usual ones, but I did horseback ride so I would tell them that if they did ask. Not that whomever asked considered horseback riding a sport. Plenty of people certainly didn't think it was.

As a kid I wouldn't have considered horseback riding or motorsports to be sports, but I'd have to say I was wrong to view things that way. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 2:50 pm

This was a bit past my youth, being a Gen X'er born in the mid-seventies, but the Nintendo WII Fit could help younger Aspies with certain motor skills function improvement... I didn't get one till my 30s but have used it on and off since, and I'm in my late 40s now with a family so don't have as much time for it. But I must say, had I been born in the 90s I would have jumped at the chance to use the Wii and at least cultivate some half-decent sports ability in case a social situation arose where I was asked to be part of a team. Otherwise, I felt far too timid and full of consternation at the prospect of being part of ANY recreational sports team. 8O

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm

I was never any good at sport, I didn't like the ball coming towards me and I would get out of the way of it.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 10:12 pm

Jayo wrote:
Alterity wrote:

Well, maybe they're judging based on your height, if you're a very tall woman - I'm assuming they wouldn't be dumb enough to ask that if you were the height of say, Reese Witherspoon or Kristin Bell or one of the Olsen Twins :lol:

Yes it was about my height. But for anyone in my expended family or that knew my extended family, there was somewhat of an expectation for the 'kids' to play at least one "ball' sport. Basketball was specifically assigned to me because of my height. If I was short I expect I would have gotten the more generic "What do you play?" that my cousins got.

My grandfather was very disappointed that I didn't play basketball ( no matter how many times my mother told him I wasn't likely to because of my vision, never mind any coordination issues) and chose horses instead.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:23 pm

I asked for a basketball on my 10th birthday. I got the ball and sat around with a long face all day. It hadn't occurred to me that I didn't have a net, I didn't want to join a team, and I didn't even know how the game worked. I think I must have asked for the basketball just because everyone else seemed to have one.

Sidenote - Over the years I did learn how to sink a shot from backwards, outside the local school (by myself).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:43 pm

^^^that is a talent. :star:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 12:06 am

I wasn't really encouraged to play sports. I broke my right ankle ice skating when I was 9, because I was trying to skate faster than my younger sister.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:35 pm

I was a member of my grade school's basketball team and I hated it so much! :x

I wanted to quit the team, but the coach (who was an absolute disgrace to the entire school) saw me
and at least two fellow teammates as easy targets for bullying.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2021, 1:36 pm

Yeah, sometimes, but I've been asked more why i bother with reading books and playing video games.

Some ppl say you can't please everyone, but it seems I can't please anyone :roll:

I did play football on a team for a short while, but I quickly found that I preferred free playing when I felt like it instead

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers