Prefer to write or to talk with the mouth?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2021, 2:28 pm

ronglxy wrote:
That is a neat 3 part problem that I like lots:
1. Building terms and words for write-nature,
2. Finding &/or making write-nature groups,
3. Finding "fair acting" folks.

Yes.
Quote:
I find drawn pictures to be a strong part of my "write-nature," and that "pen" tablet laptops work great for both. Its way more personality identifying than tweets and such constrained format texting.

Do you know people, who really understand you this way? I write in a verbal way.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 1:54 pm

Generally I'd rather write than talk, but when writing I'm mindful of the risk of saying things that might go down badly. With talking, the listener gets some chance of showing that what I'm saying is making them uncomfortable or that they're just not following it, so if I manage to pick up on that, I can back off or change what I'm saying to suit the reaction. Admittedly I'm not great at noticing body language and non-verbal cues etc., but with writing there's no chance of that at all.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 12:20 am

I normally prefer to write/type over actually talking, but lately I've been finding it hard to communicate either way. I don't really know what I prefer now.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2021, 2:35 pm

To 5555:
Yes I found people that communicate this way. It's more parallel, patterned, personal and visual than auditory-verbal, and feels richer. That's just a personal view tho.

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2021, 3:04 am

ronglxy wrote:
Yes I found people that communicate this way. It's more parallel, patterned, personal and visual than auditory-verbal, and feels richer. That's just a personal view tho.

Interesting, and it is good, that there are other people, who understand this. I am not sure, which kind this picture-communication works, what kind of pictures are in use for this. Maybe it is a question of the prefered themes? As I think so far, a picture will work clear, if someone want to show, that he want to eat a banana (with a picture of a banana). But, if I want to talk about inner feelings related to situations of living together in the same building?

Parallel: Because "a picture says more than 1000 words"? Written communication is more parallel too, I think, because of the structure. It is not so much one theme at one time, there are often many themes in different threads, and at one time theme 1 make a step, and at the other time theme 2. Like discussing in different threads in a forum like this.
ToughDiamond wrote:
With talking, the listener gets some chance of showing that what I'm saying is making them uncomfortable or that they're just not following it, so if I manage to pick up on that, I can back off or change what I'm saying to suit the reaction.

I think in written communication this work too. And I think, this is not so much a point of looking at a body. It is a point of not write long texts all the time, to act more interactively in written communication.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 10:22 am

55555 wrote:
I think in written communication this work too. And I think, this is not so much a point of looking at a body. It is a point of not write long texts all the time, to act more interactively in written communication.

Yes if the written communications are short and quickly reciprocated, the feedback can be much better. I come from a time when written communication meant snail mail letters and it wasn't cost-effective to exchange multiple short messages. Of course these days it's much easier to do just that, indeed with Twitter it's mandatory. On the other hand, if the person you're writing with isn't physically with you, replies might get delayed, for various reasons, and then it's tempting to try to say everything in one message so you don't have to sit around waiting for Godot and so that you can say what occurs to you before you forget. I also think that the cues from tone of voice, facial expressions etc. of verbal and face-to-face exchanges can have some advantages over the written word, at least for those who can make use of them. But I agree that it's generally easier than it used to be to have an exchange of short messages, and the immediacy of the feedback will improve as a result.

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2021, 12:05 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Of course these days it's much easier to do just that, indeed with Twitter it's mandatory.

I think both have their places, short and long messages. But in written communication I prefer first do write short messages, if I do not have the feeling to know enouth about the position of the other person.
Quote:
On the other hand, if the person you're writing with isn't physically with you, replies might get delayed, for various reasons, and then it's tempting to try to say everything in one message so you don't have to sit around waiting for Godot and so that you can say what occurs to you before you forget.

Interesting detail: How much tend a person to forget situations? I think, I do not tend to this very much.
Quote:
I also think that the cues from tone of voice, facial expressions etc. of verbal and face-to-face exchanges can have some advantages over the written word, at least for those who can make use of them.

I think written communication have no less factors of such kind, but the people who prefer to have body contact often are not very fit to see them.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm

55555 wrote:
I think both have their places, short and long messages. But in written communication I prefer first do write short messages, if I do not have the feeling to know enough about the position of the other person.

I've felt for a long time that short communications have the advantage of being more interactive, which makes it easier to learn from the content. I'm not saying there's no place for longer pieces, just that I usually get more out of it when I can interact frequently with the source, to get things clarified before moving on. The problem is that once I start talking or writing, I have trouble stopping, so this ideal conversation rarely gets to happen.

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2021, 6:00 pm

My reason for being hikki is indeed Japanese, the shame and inability to accomplish things..

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 6:33 am

Text or speech, it doesn't really matter to me in terms of comprehension.

However, it does matter in utilization.

Speech is less linear, has access on tones and more complex expressions, also it is faster also out in the open.
However, it depends how reliable my auditory processing and short term memory. Mistakes are harder to undo.

Text is more linear. Drier. Also slower. But also more forgiving, has barriers against multiple interferences both internal and external.
I don't have to rely on how good my memory is -- I got screenshots and backlogs. Spelling can be searched or errors can be edited. One can unsent messages if given a choice.

Which do I prefer?
Depends how I want to express it. I'm not truly limited on how more or less forgiving the utilization of words itself.
I'd still dislike words itself whenever it's unreliable either ways. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:30 pm

According to this article, writing does cause more trouble than spoken word. I don't know whether it's a good article or not, but some parts of it seemed plausible.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... a-tailspin

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Dec 2021, 9:30 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
According to this article, writing does cause more trouble than spoken word.

This is a popular point of view, but I personally do not feel, this is right. It is a question of nonautistical majority cultures.
Quote:
I don't know whether it's a good article or not, but some parts of it seemed plausible.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... a-tailspin

Which parts?
Edna3362 wrote:
Speech is less linear,

I experience, that to talk by mouth is more linear. Text threads can be different themes and all are actual.
Quote:
has access on tones and more complex expressions,

Not really relevant, I think.
Quote:
also it is faster

But more effective? Often not, I experience. Text communication is time shifted and this is very good for me.
Quote:
Mistakes are harder to undo.

Maybe.
Quote:
Text is more linear. Drier.

Drier? I do not feel this way. I feel it is nearer to the other. There is more silence in it and people who do not like silence because of their inner lies, have a problem with that.
Quote:
I don't have to rely on how good my memory is -- I got screenshots and backlogs.

But my experience is, tha maybe people with not so good memory after some months and different themes have problems to remember what was said and where they can find this texts again. Some of them go angry because of this and say: "This is too complicated."
Quote:
Spelling can be searched or errors can be edited.

Yes.
Quote:
Depends how I want to express it.

Yes, I think so. Themes which are nearer to the material body and its existence. Themes that are personal in a "nonmaterial" spirit-way?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:58 am

55555 wrote:
Which parts?

Well, for example, my own experience resonates with these parts of the article:

There is a big difference between dropping a casual, “OK” or “sure” in an in-person conversation versus sending the same word in text.

This is because when we speak to others in person, we’re using and interpreting countless subtle cues. “In a face-to-face or synchronous conversation, where we have our voices and our faces to use, something like ‘sure’ would be paired with a facial expression or a tone of voice to give extra context cues,” says Michelle McSweeney, US-based linguist and author of The Pragmatics of Text Messaging. “We assume that our conversation partners know what we’re trying to say.”

And there’s far more going on in our tone than most of us understand – which means we lose a lot of meaningful context when we transition to writing. “Non-verbal vocal utterances – sighs, screams, laughs and so on – are extremely rich.”

When we chat digitally, we also lose the cues of a shared physical environment. Even in a video call, “we don’t have full access to interpersonal cues such as a person’s clothing, posture, seating position or non-verbal cues, gestures, etc., that normally help us make a conversation coherent, smoothly flowing and help us decipher interpersonal meanings.”

Another important part of a conversation is “backchanneling” – signals we use to show that we’re following along and paying attention. These signals include saying things “aha, hmm, right, yup, OK” – some of the words that rattle us most in text – as well as using gestures like a nod or raised eyebrow.

Backchannel signals, says Darics, “are usually below the level of consciousness”. In other words, we don’t realise we’re using them. So, the same words we may over-analyse in text are often the things we barely notice when we speak – yet they feature front and centre, like any other word.

When we’re speaking, we’re focused on making the phonetic sounds of each word. The shorter or simpler the word, the less work we’re doing to pronounce it, and the more we can focus on infusing it with a range of emotions, says Cowen. “We’re actually able to form much more precise vocal expressions when we’re not too busy speaking,” he adds. “This makes simpler words better vessels for rich emotional expressions.”

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2022, 8:16 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
There is a big difference between dropping a casual, “OK” or “sure” in an in-person conversation versus sending the same word in text.

This is because when we speak to others in person, we’re using and interpreting countless subtle cues. “In a face-to-face or synchronous conversation, where we have our voices and our faces to use, something like ‘sure’ would be paired with a facial expression or a tone of voice to give extra context cues,” says Michelle McSweeney, US-based linguist and author of The Pragmatics of Text Messaging. “We assume that our conversation partners know what we’re trying to say.”

I think, I do not feel this way. But people who feel such physical situations as more direct for them maybe often see it this way.
Quote:
And there’s far more going on in our tone than most of us understand – which means we lose a lot of meaningful context when we transition to writing. “Non-verbal vocal utterances – sighs, screams, laughs and so on – are extremely rich.”

Typical content, who sets nonautistic people as "normal". It is a big part of our problem, that such content broadly is seen as real in general.
Quote:
When we chat digitally, we also lose the cues of a shared physical environment.

And when we talk by mouth we lose the text.
Quote:
Another important part of a conversation is “backchanneling” – signals we use to show that we’re following along and paying attention.

There are such signs in written communication too.

cabowm02
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2022, 10:09 am

This has actually been an issue for me since like 31.

I understand a lot of times people with malice or malicious intentions , are of course, going to type professional and type the right thing, then by actions or in person , the behavior does not match.

I feel like this is a private endorphin high and gratification for being “smart.”

Since that age, I have unfortunately more freely have text what I don’t necessarily mean at all, in a sarcastic way, maybe it’s my age and being fed up with others real world behavior.

So for me, that is something I need to work on, prior to 31 or so, you really wouldn’t catch me typing loosely sarcastically unprofessional to others (maybe like a significant other I would have typed anything to prior to.)

But this is actually a huge issue I’m facing.
Catch me in person, especially being tired, I’m usually very very timid. Catch me on text, and I got you. So I definitely need to just not loosely text unprofessional to others.

If you do, that will give more power to the person that’s doing “said behavior” in person, but their texting professionally the entire time and then thinking “they won” and their “smart.”

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 11:37 am

55555 wrote:
I think, I do not feel this way. But people who feel such physical situations as more direct for them maybe often see it this way.

Typical content, who sets nonautistic people as "normal". It is a big part of our problem, that such content broadly is seen as real in general.

And when we talk by mouth we lose the text.

There are such signs in written communication too.

Yes, those of us who can't use or fathom nonverbal stuff won't get any benefit from it, and just as a blind person may navigate better in pitch darkness than a sighted person, such an autistic person may experience an overall advantage with the written word. Rather like some of us were at an advantage over NTs during the Covid lockdowns when crowded gatherings were suspended and everybody had to do social distancing.