Prefer to write or to talk with the mouth?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Oct 2021, 7:37 am

I am engaged in a self organized housing project over a long time and over the years I more and more learned, that there are many people in the spectrum, who emotionally prefer to talk by mouth with the people they live with in a house, often such ones too, that say in forums, that they like to write.

And I see, that this is a central problem in our house, because there is not really a common kind of communication with such ones, who really prefer to write.

Maybe you have some inspiration for me to solve the problem or find such ones really prefer to communicate by text like myself, which is our concept?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

whiteboards?

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2021, 2:37 am

Thanks for your response.

Maybe my english ist too bad to understand?

Yes, a way to communicate could be such a board in a room.

But my theme is different. I often experienced, that autistic people emotionally want to communicate by mouth. And they do. So the group in the house splits up in such who emotionally prefer to write and such who prefer to talk by mouth.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 8:14 am

I was wondering if prominently-positioned whiteboards would be casual and quick enough to divert some of the talkers to writing. There's no keyboard involved and you can "speak" whenever you want even without having someone specific to talk to--it would be like talking to everyone.

Or maybe it wouldn't work.

I don't know.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 8:15 am

A little of both

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2021, 8:53 am

Double Retired wrote:
I was wondering if prominently-positioned whiteboards would be casual and quick enough to divert some of the talkers to writing.

We never had a whiteboard, but a board to write on papers pinned on it. Now we are structurally a community in a village-house and also in a house in the countys main city. Peolpe can swich between both houses. So the "big round" could not just be on a single board at one place. We actually mostly use Emails to communicate.
Quote:
There's no keyboard involved

Maybe some people do not have a good relation to keyboards, yes. Maybe some people would more emotionally accept text, when they can write it by hand. But my experiece is, that it is often a big emotional feeling in this people to talk by mouth, maybe see the body of the others.
Quote:
and you can "speak" whenever you want even without having someone specific to talk to

This factor is like write a Email?

One question maybe is: How we could more specificly target interested people, who really prefer to write? I think maybe many of them do not search for such a self organized autistic housing community, because they hab mostly bad experiences with people who prefer to talk by mouth and often are very aggressive with this orientation?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 9:14 am

I was thinking the whiteboard would be for unofficial stuff. People just want to talk. So it wouldn't matter which board they wrote on in which house.

But, I was also assuming the problem was for unofficial, informal things people just want to say/write whether anyone cares, or not...that the mouth-talkers were talking too much and annoying people. That is, the communication in question doesn't really have to convey information to anyone else, it just has to give folk a chance to express themselves.

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2021, 9:41 am

In our projekt written communication is set as standard for all. This means the themes related to the community, organisation, but also if a person have to say something about the own impression about others. Because we want to have such themes cleared, and everyone have to participate. This is the official version.

But often people who prefer communication per mouth try to test the red lines. And this is very bad, a energy leak. And a part of this testing often is not really read the "official communications", try to ignore them and make somthing own with orthers who prefer to talk by mouth. So they also tend not to read, if this proplem is critizied in written form. And they mostly tend to think to talk by mouth ist "just normal". They just feel not "at home" in written communication. Many of them maybe feel at home in written communiactio about theoretical themes, they are interested in. But my impression ist, that fpr many of this autistic persons private human themes are "a other thing" for them. Not for me, I do not really understand their feelings. I myelf clearly feel, that I can express myself better, if I talk by text.

I would have no problem with private communication by mouth if this only would be made for private themes and not for common themes. But what I see as the real effect in many cases it different. It causes a split between the group. And its driven by emotions, feelings of "be someone nearby" because of the kind of contact and communication someone emotionally prefers.

Yes, it can be a problem, that by mouth talkers talk too much.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2021, 10:58 am

I prefere to write, as I can think before I speak (which I can’t do with my internal dialogue or when speaking).

I can also edit what I say, reread it ect which I can’t do when I speak.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 2:15 pm

Let me see if I understand: The organization has a policy that formal, "official" organization communications be in writing but some people try to do it not in writing but rather in speaking.

If so, forget the whiteboard idea. I suggested that because I misunderstood the problem.

This would be a more difficult problem.

Does the communication have to be real-time...people writing stuff back and forth in response to each other...or can everything be prepared in advance?

I'm not saying that I can propose a solution based upon what you answer, but I think that the clearer the problem is the more likely it is that someone will have an idea to solve it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 4:08 pm

Primarily the former, but I do talk.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 6:14 am

One way to get people to communicate in official ways is to use a turnback phrase. If somebody wants to talk about something, use a scripted phrase like "you need to put this in writing on the organization page so everybody can see it" and simply repeat this instead of giving feedback or acknowledgement.
Written communication is not natural to many people, and it can be very difficult for some, so it may take some time to teach them that they will only get that one response if they want to talk/discuss/verbalize. Reward input in print by prompt response and a "thank you". repeat as needed. Not everybody can easily put their thoughts and ideas into written words. Perhaps for some, accommodations may be needed? There are programs today that turn spoken word into text. Some folks might be helped to better performance by use of those programs.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Nov 2021, 8:49 am

Double Retired wrote:
Let me see if I understand: The organization has a policy that formal, "official" organization communications be in writing but some people try to do it not in writing but rather in speaking.

Yes, and this people live in one of this houses. So they are "existent" and act in the house even, when they ignore the written communication.
Quote:
Does the communication have to be real-time...

No, there are no common communication times. But usual there is something like one week for make a statement to a point.
Quote:
people writing stuff back and forth in response to each other...

This is the usual way, yes.
Quote:
or can everything be prepared in advance?

What to you mean with that?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 2:55 pm

Quote:
or can everything be prepared in advance?

What to you mean with that?[/quote]
Does the "official" have time in advance to plan what they will say? Or, must they respond immediately to what the others say?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 8:06 pm

Some autistic people have verbal apraxia. This makes it physically difficult for a person to speak orally. It doesn’t mean they are not cognitively incapable of talking,

Erjoy29
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2021, 8:31 pm

Almost always: writing! Typing. Texting. And the like. It is so smooth and flows so much easier!

When I talk, I often draw many blanks. I get scared. Anxious. Freeze up. And feel overstimulated and awkward. And probably other feelings. So do some of my ASD friends.

We are all very, very different. But I am not a talker. I am more “telepathic” if that makes sense.