Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 8:35 am

What are people with Aspergers good at?

Systems
Problems solving

Please discuss these and other things Aspies are good at?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 8:55 am

Alienating others

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 8:56 am

What about details?

Last edited by Technic1 on 29 Oct 2021, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 8:57 am

Technic1 wrote:

Seeking, craving, needing simple, logical answers to complex, ultimately unsolvable questions....

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2021, 9:26 am

GadgetGuru wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

Seeking, craving, needing simple, logical answers to complex, ultimately unsolvable questions....

Thank you for making me realise that I’m not alone in needing simple answers to complex (sometimes impossible) questions.

Are you able to find them?

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:36 am

Technic1 wrote:
GadgetGuru wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

Thank you for making me realise that I’m not alone in needing simple answers to complex (sometimes impossible) questions.

Are you able to find them?

Yes, but I then (often) learn that those simple answers only apply generally, and can fail to fully explain the nuances. And there's the rub- the nuances are often much more important than a broad view understanding of a person, situation or subject.

For example "share your feelings" with a partner is a simple, direct statement, and generally true. But the subtleties, such as "in some cases, you should not share what's on your mind, especially when it's an incomplete thought", are critical, because a single stray thought, when vocalized, can completely erase any goodwill built out of frequent and open sharing of emotions, hopes and dreams...

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:03 am

Nitpicking, like I could point out that Aspergers is no longer considered a diagnosis, it is now called Autism level 1.
It is different for different people, but I am really good at proof reading, at the expence of me not being able to skim through texts, and being a slow reader.

/Mats

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:23 pm

Developing expertise in a particular subject they find interesting. At least, that's one of my biggest strengths, and where most of my other strengths ultimately stem from.

Ability to hear higher pitches than most people your age is also an AS trait. It can be both good and bad, since it's a source of overload, but also sometimes provides useful information - for example, some mechanical defects can be detected earlier if you can hear high pitches and figure out what's producing them. In general sensory hypersensitivity can often lead to more easily detecting things that can sometimes be useful, for example tactile hypersensitivity can make you more thorough in cleaning.

We also tend to be better than NTs at reading autistic body language. It's why I think it's more of a "lacking a shared language" issue than a true impairment.

Phantom Lamb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2021, 3:09 am

mohsart wrote:
Nitpicking, like I could point out that Aspergers is no longer considered a diagnosis, it is now called Autism level 1

I could nitpick further and say this only starts in the UK from 2022 :wink:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 7:31 am

mohsart wrote:
Nitpicking, like I could point out that Aspergers is no longer considered a diagnosis, it is now called Autism level 1.
It is different for different people, but I am really good at proof reading, at the expence of me not being able to skim through texts, and being a slow reader.

/Mats

Expense :wink:

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2021, 11:21 am

Technic1 wrote:

Systems
Problems solving

I amk good at seeing how details connect if I get professional help with it. Some people seem to find it a bit difficult even if they get professional help.
8)

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2021, 11:23 am

mohsart wrote:

/Mats

I use the term aspergers syndrom a lot and professionals accept it.
Autism level 1 is what they now use in Sweden?

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 11:40 am

Dandansson wrote:
I use the term aspergers syndrom a lot and professionals accept it.
Autism level 1 is what they now use in Sweden?

Of course it's accepted, it was an accepted diagnosis up until ten years ago or so.
My son has aspergers according to his diagnosis and my diagnosis says I'd have aspergers if the previous criteria was to be used. It's practical to use old terms together with new ones to make people understand.
I'm sure consumption was used way after the term TBC was introduced.

/Mats

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 7:32 pm

Aspies can be good at pretty much anything. That is such an individual question. You can't just generalize at what Aspies are good at. That's like asking what are neurotypicals good at? Each individual will have his or her specific strengths as well as weaknesses and they will be as individual and unique as the person is. We have common things that we are not so good at that help define the criteria for the diagnosis but asking what we are good at is a very broad question.

Are you asking because you are insecure and want to find out what you are good at? We can certainly help you with that. I think that would be easier than trying to find out what all Aspies are good at in general.

Wreck It Ralph

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 11:57 pm

Technic1 wrote:

Systems
Problems solving

I am real good with some forms of math and science as well as history.

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2021, 4:33 am

Ettina wrote:
Ability to hear higher pitches than most people your age is also an AS trait. It can be both good and bad, since it's a source of overload, but also sometimes provides useful information - for example, some mechanical defects can be detected earlier if you can hear high pitches and figure out what's producing them.

Ohh, I didn't know this. This explains why I'm the only one who can hear pygmy shrews (very very high pitched squeaking, makes my ears itch) when I'm out walking. I thought I was going insane because I was hearing them and no one else could. :lol: Guess it's another thing to add to the list for whenever I feel like getting diagnosed. :P

skibum wrote:
Aspies can be good at pretty much anything. That is such an individual question. You can't just generalize at what Aspies are good at. That's like asking what are neurotypicals good at? Each individual will have his or her specific strengths as well as weaknesses and they will be as individual and unique as the person is. We have common things that we are not so good at that help define the criteria for the diagnosis but asking what we are good at is a very broad question.

^ This is basically what I was going to say on the topic.