Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is your opinion on "Flooding" threads?
 It is my right to post however I want as long as I do not violate The Rules. 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
 It makes more sense to address each statement in a separate post. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
 It makes more sense to consolidate all replies in one single post. 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
 Consolidated or not, posted replies must address previous statements. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
 Fnord, stop posting these ridiculous polls!! 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
 Other: ________________. (Please elaborate below.) 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 7:42 am

I like the Solvang quote.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

I think generally it's a good idea to consolidate replies into as few posts as is reasonable. In some cases, if a few different members have each given you a lot to respond to, it intuitively makes more sense to me to break your replies up for each member.

Where a couple of members have given you only a few paragraphs each to respond to, I think it makes more sense to combine everything into one reply.

As for quotes, when there start to become too many quote boxes, I'll remove the older ones and just keep the ones that provide the necessary context to what I'm currently responding to.

My approach is generally to make my posts digestible to the reader, so whether my reply would be very long because I'm responding to a lot of people, or because it would contain a lot of quote boxes, if it feels like it's too long, I'll generally do whatever I feel makes sense to make it more digestible.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:28 pm

Redpaws wrote:
"It makes more sense to address each statement in a separate post."

It makes sense, it's easier to avoid captcha with fewer quotes, and it prevents posts getting too long and text wall-y. Text walls are a pain to read.

I also find quote trees a pain to keep track of.

Agreed. 8)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
This style of reply, which is my preferred method, is definitely a throwback to early times, and is sometimes called "fisking", or a point by point response. Some people really object to it for some reason, there was one guy in particular here years ago who called me psychotic (among other things) for breaking down his posts like that, and he was just the most spectacular objector. I think a lot of posters are just lazy, I can think of more than a few here who I know can do a line by line breakdown, but instead repost the entire thread quote tree every time they respond to a single point in the most recent reply, and agree that it's annoying and renders mobile almost unusable.

Fisking can come across as EXTREMELY aggressive and arrogant: kind of a "Pitiful insect, I have prepared this elaborate document to annihilate your feeble excuse for an argument in surgical detail. That is all. [mic drop]" thing. It's often done by a particular kind of flamer for whom the related Wall Of Text Attack is insufficiently cutting. The next level is to fisk someone else's fisk, if you really want to turn up the heat. (I have witnessed that done in grand style.) So I'm not suprised that some people hate it- if you've been on the recieving end of a hostile fisk, you're probably going to see red EVERY time someone responds like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:10 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
This style of reply, which is my preferred method, is definitely a throwback to early times, and is sometimes called "fisking", or a point by point response. Some people really object to it for some reason, there was one guy in particular here years ago who called me psychotic (among other things) for breaking down his posts like that, and he was just the most spectacular objector. I think a lot of posters are just lazy, I can think of more than a few here who I know can do a line by line breakdown, but instead repost the entire thread quote tree every time they respond to a single point in the most recent reply, and agree that it's annoying and renders mobile almost unusable.

Fisking can come across as EXTREMELY aggressive and arrogant: kind of a "Pitiful insect, I have prepared this elaborate document to annihilate your feeble excuse for an argument in surgical detail. That is all. [mic drop]" thing. It's often done by a particular kind of flamer for whom the related Wall Of Text Attack is insufficiently cutting. The next level is to fisk someone else's fisk, if you really want to turn up the heat. (I have witnessed that done in grand style.) So I'm not suprised that some people hate it- if you've been on the recieving end of a hostile fisk, you're probably going to see red EVERY time someone responds like that.

I'd agree that it comes off as very pedantic and condescending at times. That said, sometimes it is warranted and if one is able to ignore that impulse to just see red at least sometimes one will actually benefit from the argument being done in a point-by-point manner, especially if the fisker ends up not realizing they have a hole in their argument or if the person it's being done to finally notices the flaw that people are trying to point out.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:12 pm

I went for "other" as my strategy is in between options 2 and 3. I avoid doing a long string of tiny posts, but also avoid doing an excessively long post that tries to address too many points at once. Both can be confusing to follow. If I've got a lot to say, better to bundle it up into a few medium-sized chunks (and also let someone else get a word in edgeways.)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 1:28 pm

I can't follow quote trees larger than 2 or 3 comments. I tend to write too much all in one post if I have a lot of things to say, but if I'm responding to different people I break it up into two posts like PD said.

I don't care how other people post or choose to reply. The only thing that gets a little irksome is when people write random posts that have nothing at all to do with the original question. I guess we all do that a bit sometimes because we respond to someone other than the OP, but when it happens all the time it gets frustrating. I try to think of the OP statements / questions like an exam prompt. You have to answer the question or at least be on topic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 4:48 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:

Not to me. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 4:50 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I went for "other" as my strategy is in between options 2 and 3. I avoid doing a long string of tiny posts, but also avoid doing an excessively long post that tries to address too many points at once. Both can be confusing to follow. If I've got a lot to say, better to bundle it up into a few medium-sized chunks (and also let someone else get a word in edgeways.)

I usually avoid long posts because I am dyslexic and have a poor short-term memory. 8)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 6:54 pm

I usually avoid long posts because I have a short attention span. It's better if it's well written and broken up into paragraphs, but if there are like 20 paragraphs then I tend to skip it, because usually when there's that many paragraphs the OP is usually waffling on before getting to the point.

I get lost when people have complicated lives too. "I grew up in Tennessee with my dad and my step mother who abused me, so I was forced to live with my cousin's uncle's brother's niece in Belgium but she was always away on business so I stayed with her daughter and her boyfriend then I moved back to America and got an apartment with 3 roommates in Kansas but they bullied me, so I found out my mum lives in Russia with my sister so I've been in touch with them but now I'm homeless but I don't want to live with my dad and his abusive girlfriend, I can't get to Russia as I don't think it is autism-friendly..."

It gives me a headache. Growing up in a secure household with a close, loving family around me makes it hard to relate to those with complicated lives where everyone abuses them, unless I know them well. Verbal communication is easier for me than reading.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 7:43 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I usually avoid long posts because I have a short attention span. It's better if it's well written and broken up into paragraphs, but if there are like 20 paragraphs then I tend to skip it, because usually when there's that many paragraphs the OP is usually waffling on before getting to the point.

I get lost when people have complicated lives too. "I grew up in Tennessee with my dad and my step mother who abused me, so I was forced to live with my cousin's uncle's brother's niece in Belgium but she was always away on business so I stayed with her daughter and her boyfriend then I moved back to America and got an apartment with 3 roommates in Kansas but they bullied me, so I found out my mum lives in Russia with my sister so I've been in touch with them but now I'm homeless but I don't want to live with my dad and his abusive girlfriend, I can't get to Russia as I don't think it is autism-friendly..."

It gives me a headache. Growing up in a secure household with a close, loving family around me makes it hard to relate to those with complicated lives where everyone abuses them, unless I know them well. Verbal communication is easier for me than reading.

This post is too long, so I skipped it. <joke> :mrgreen:

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:24 pm

Cornflake wrote:
I am considering making that limit the depth of quotes to eight, and this seems a useful thread on which to canvas opinions.

Another board I am on limits them to three - and I find it a more pleasant board to read.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:01 pm

I don't believe in "quote trees"---but I do believe some "long posts" could serve a useful purpose. They might convey many sides of a particular question.

I don't make long posts, by the way.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:05 pm

bcousins wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
I am considering making that limit the depth of quotes to eight, and this seems a useful thread on which to canvas opinions.

Another board I am on limits them to three - and I find it a more pleasant board to read.

Is it the dead board in your sig?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 10:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Is it the dead board in your sig?

It is not.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Dec 2021, 7:01 am

bcousins wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Tempting, very tempting... :lol: