do you think most people are bad?

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Nov 2021, 7:11 am

Ignorance can have an effect of badness.
Feeble-mindedness can have an effect of badness.
Selfishness can be a factor of badness.

One doesn't have to be an evil person to contribute to badness.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

newme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2021, 9:41 am

I agree that there are some good people out there but I agree that sometimes this world and people are so bad that there really is no point in living. The good people who keep trying to make things better often end up either completely harmed or exhausted.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

I'm not taking a stand either way with my previous post. I don't mean to sound overly academic but it's a timeless question which can't be answered without defining the word "bad", and having a consensus what it means. Does it mean people who kill or torture? Lie? Steal? Think bad thoughts? Break the moral code of (any) religious text? Self-promote? Manipulate others? And then there's the context. Is this always? Sometimes? Once? Contextual? Are we born this way? Do we develop this way by the influence of our society, or for survival? Is it a Utilitarian definition?

I'm sorry I know that's wordy and you just want an answer. My gut response is that most people are guilty of some bad behaviours, or some bad thoughts and morals. The extent to which it becomes normalised ("It's OK to drive a little over the speed limit, it's OK to steal when you're starving, it's OK to tell a white lie, it's OK to be atheist), demonstrates that it's normal for people to be "bad" to a certain extent. When these behaviours are predictable and socially-accepted, that means it's human nature. The people are no longer bad, and not outside the norm.

Therefore no, most people aren't bad in my mind even though most people do and think bad things.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

newme wrote:
I agree that there are some good people out there but I agree that sometimes this world and people are so bad that there really is no point in living. The good people who keep trying to make things better often end up either completely harmed or exhausted.

There are some truly bad people out there but I'd like to think that in situations like the work place most people are just trying to get through the day the best and easiest way they can.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

And if people around you are that bad make plans to get out. Find anyway you can. Take the leap.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 8:12 pm

There are a lot of selfish, ignorant, sanctimonious and conniving people out there, hence my being a suburban hermit.
Avoid humanity if possible, wherever you can.

Animals are better than people. :wink:

newme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2021, 8:27 pm

Animals are the best creatures. Humans are the worst!! !

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 8:36 am

newme wrote:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 12:01 pm

Yesterday I was both beside myself with fury and completely understanding that my NT husband was ... willfully neglectful. He called it lazy and kindly said: "not everyone is as responsible as you are". So was he responsible enough despite the negative outcome? Am I "too" responsible? My ASD BFF and I talk about this A LOT. The effort we make to keep things in order or not "bother" others. We wonder why others don't do the same and why this is a liability to us in this current culture. When to lower standards or not...

Here's the deal: I am "responsible" in preparing and making an effort to avoid bad situations. Bad situations are very upsetting for me. My NT husband is "irresponsible" and more often is faced with bad situations. He is good at improvising and managing these. So I guess preparation and diligence is more hurtful for him than the bad consequences. While it's the reverse for me. I see his lack of effort as being "bad" (he allowed it to happen!! !) and he sees it as normal (we'll deal with it). I put up with this b/c he does all those things (e.g. laundry) where I am umm, ummmm less "responsible".

I think a lot about my part in the deaths of my pets (even those that died of old age, I wish I had done more; and for those deaths for which my ignorance or overwhelm contributed... ugh). It's painful. My NT husband is not so concerned. Not that he doesn't care, just that his standards are .... different.

I'm sorry you are not be appreciated at work. This happened to a friend of mine two years ago: she was knocking it out of the park with her students and making her peers "look bad" (umm, how about everyone appreciate and use each others strengths?) She burnt out and left. She is now happily employed in a "reasonable" workplace. Last year my BFF didn't burn out, but was miserable and s happily employed elsewhere now! This year, it happened to me also. I was soooooooo burnt out. The ineffectiveness (and toxicity) of my workplace was painful. Hopefully I will soon say I am happily employed. I friend of mine who left my company found one which looks promising. I hope you find a way or a place where you are happy and well. That might seem like an undoable stretch right now, but take small steps and it can happen.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 1:19 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
newme wrote:

i hate the truth in this of , Mark Twains writing here. Have personally had too many experiences that have brought home the truth of his saying . About the nature of man . was not born with these attributes . But have suffered often at the hands of others over the entire course of my life .

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 5:25 pm

Jakki wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
newme wrote:

i hate the truth in this of , Mark Twains writing here. Have personally had too many experiences that have brought home the truth of his saying . About the nature of man . was not born with these attributes . But have suffered often at the hands of others over the entire course of my life .

If you consider the evolutionary history of the naked ape, you will see a constant theme of brutality.
It was only natural that humanity's penchant for unconscionable behaviour has a significant presence in the gene pool.

"Might makes right" is humanity's motto. 8O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm

Then it would seem based on what you wrote PePe ,, that Autists are a forward movement in
evolution... very possibly ... Even then , in order to have a civilization , humans needed to cooperate .???? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 1:06 am

Jakki wrote:
Then it would seem based on what you wrote PePe ,, that Autists are a forward movement in
evolution... very possibly ... Even then , in order to have a civilization , humans needed to cooperate .???? :mrgreen:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are mean auties also. 8O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Stops up and down....... demands PePe to repair her bubble .......Right Now Please!
( but privately agrees with PePe) but hopes he might be wrong

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 12:03 am

Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Stops up and down....... demands PePe to repair her bubble .......Right Now Please!
( but privately agrees with PePe) but hopes he might be wrong

Have you ever been to the PPR forum? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2021, 11:16 am

Sounds Political ..? PPR forum .