Do teachers need to take part in class photos/videos?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2021, 7:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm now thinking of becoming a teacher, because I'm good at explaining and am quite charismatic, but there is 1 thing, which I can never overcome, namely: seeing photos and videos of myself makes me VERY depressed.

Any advice on how to avoid such things?

:?

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2021, 6:05 am

I’m a teacher and I understand this worry.

For many, they accept it as part of their job and go ahead with photos and video recordings of their lessons etc. I personally hate being filmed teaching, but will tolerate photos at events with kids.

I’m a strong believer of boundaries and if being photographed or videoed makes you uncomfortable, it’s your job to let your principal know and get them on board with making that happen for you. You might like to offer them an alternative. For example you could say:

‘When person x comes to my class to do an observation, is it possible for them to do a voice recording rather than a video recording?’

You set the boundaries.
Does this help?

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2021, 6:16 am

If you have a problem with seeing yourself, but not with the actual mechanical process of being photographed, I suggest you implement a rule of allowing yourself to be photographed, but refuse to look at the end product.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2021, 2:34 pm

Chaosmos, thank you. It is quite a relief to hear that I would not need to go through things like that.

And Doniimann, no: I don't think that would be helpful at all, because the very fact would remain, that there would be images of me, which I don't see as reflective of my Soul, and people would see them.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2021, 4:14 pm

Substantially_Abstract wrote:
Chaosmos, thank you. It is quite a relief to hear that I would not need to go through things like that.

No worries! 8)