Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Oct 2021, 10:53 am

Has anyone been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and how did you get diagnosed. Plus do you have any tips to help with it?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 12:17 pm

If you're diagnosed as autistic, SPD is considered part of autism rather than a separate condition.

Tips for helping depend on the specific sensory symptoms you're having. Generally, you want to avoid sensory triggers as much as possible, muffle those you can't avoid or distract yourself from them, and get plenty of opportunities to get sensations you're craving (especially just before or just after a stressful experience or difficult activity).

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm

Thanks I did get diagnosed with autism last year. Any tips for helping with tactile defensiveness specifically when it comes to clothing?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 5:59 am

Unless you are required to wear a uniform or clothing not of your own choice, it just takes a long time to figure out what triggers the discomfort and find things that won't do that. Start with the worst offenders in your wardrobe and eliminate them, try substitutes til you find one you don't mind/ can accept. Think about the things you love to wear and try to duplicate those! I have been able to adjust my clothing over a period of many years, continually learning to recognize what textures, garment structure, which fabrics/ constructions are good and which to leave alone forever. I am down to long sleeve t shirt material for tops, or all cotton button front shirts with band collars. I hate clingy stuff like leggings, hate shorts, you get it... little by little, and sooner if you focus on what you find difficult, you can sort it out. I want to add that I know this can get very expensive if you purchase new items... I have done most of my shopping for clothing (except underwear and socks) at resale shops, garage sales, and the like. Much less expensive. This resale shopping does work better in places with high populations . Might be worth traveling to a place with many resale shops for an afternoon or 2 of clothing sorting. Same goes for shoes... I have finally figured out what shoes suit me best. Sending best wishes.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson