Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 3:16 pm

Does anyone do this? How many sessions and for how long do you do?

My physio said this is the best thing for me to do. I used to do an hour each day all in one block.

I've started doing a 30 minute session and then three 10 minute sessions and a few other things to just keep moving.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 3:23 pm

Ive walked 5 hours in a day. But then again, some days i only walk outside 15 minutes. It's good for the heart, and potentially fat loss, if you walk on fasted state, growth hormone boost is ridiculous. it will regenerate your immune system, increase longevity, tons of beneficial things. According to the science.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 4:30 pm

Little and often is better than a lot and rarely.

There's a category of people I've heard of called "weekend warriors", who are people with sedentary weekdays who exercise very strenuously on the weekend (often in team sports, like hockey), and they're at high risk of heart attack. Their sedentary default means their heart can't handle the intensity of their weekend activity.

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2021, 7:40 am

For overall health, which includes mental health, the best approach is to stick with daily habit of a short, but intense workout, e.g. "7 minute workout".

The rest depends on your current goals, on top of your daily exercise you can add any exercise with more specific goals 2-3 times a week. If your goal is endurance it would be long cardio sessions, if your goal is strength and prevention of issues like osteoporosis, it would be resistance training, if your goal is building skills, mind-body connection, it would be something like brazilian jiu jitsu or yoga. Having persistent daily routine and cycling these types of activities would give you full coverage long term.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 9:58 am

Yeah so my problem is that my muscles spasm and tighten up really easy so my aim is to keep them warm as this does help. Obviously I can't keep moving constantly because I need a rest sometimes.

My old regime was an hour a day cardio and some resistance training as well.

Since my physio said little and often I have started doing 30 minutes a day on rowing machine at various levels and three times ten minutes a day on a cross trainer going forward and reverse. I'm also doing a bit of cycling and using a step machine at various intervals during the day as well.

At the moment it seems to be working out for me. My muscles are relaxed, my limp has eased off a bit as well.

Thank you everyone for your help.

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2021, 10:34 am

babybird wrote:
Yeah so my problem is that my muscles spasm and tighten up really easy so my aim is to keep them warm as this does help. Obviously I can't keep moving constantly because I need a rest sometimes.

Hmm, spasms and tension likely to be result of electrolyte imbalance. Could be low sodium due to common misleading advise to lower sodium consumption in combination of common advise to hydrate more. Drinking too much pure water while eating recommended amount of sodium leads to low sodium level. Could be low magnesium, muscle relaxation achieved when potentials at the neuromuscular junction are lowered compared to background potential of Mg ions. Low magnesium makes is harder for muscles to relax.

Hypocapnia that can occur as a result of hyperventilation during stressful events of anxiety can lead to very painful muscle cramps and tension too.

Another possible reason could be misfiring on neural signalling level.

I think the most appropriate form of exercise for this issue is not something monotone like most kinds of cardio, but practice like yoga, promoting better mind-body connection, coordination, paying a lot of attention to stretching which is controlled muscle relaxation and being mindful about breathing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 10:45 am

Yes I should do more stretching exercises. I have time on my hands to do it as well so I've got no excuse not to.

I'll incorporate it into my daily routine and hopefully I'll see an improvement.

Also I'll try and pay some attention to my salt intake.

Thank you as well.