Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 8:12 pm

I don't know about you, but I'm mentally done with this year. Do you have any plans for the future?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 6:27 am

I guess I'll use this thread to see if I managed to meet my resolution for this year from my 2021 resolutions thread:

Which can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=392866&hilit=+2021

Lost_dragon wrote:
Mine is simple in theory (famous last words :P ). In 2021, I want to document more, i.e. take more pictures.

Well, I did that. Looking at my camera reel, there was a significant uptake in photos this year.

Lost_dragon wrote:
The next year is going to be a fairly significant one. It'll be the year that I graduate.

Correct! I have my graduation ceremony next week.

Lost_dragon wrote:
The year that my older sister moves out.

Well, the year that process started. Most likely the actual moving out is going to occur next year.

Lost_dragon wrote:
Further, it'll be the year where we'll be coming out of a global pandemic.
Granted, the change won't be immediate but from what I know now - at the risk of being cliché - it's going to be a year of significant change.

Yes and no on that one. We're on our way out, but there are peaks. As for change, yes, that happens. You try new things, such as wearing black nail polish and visiting new museums. Heck you even regrettably try cutting your own bangs during a breakdown and have a small identity crisis. You visit a cat café for the first time and you also attempt to get used to life after University.

---

My resolution for next year is to get a job if that doesn't happen during the last two months of this year. I'm going to go to a music festival and I'd also like to go to a decent Pride event. Although I've been to Pride before, it was fairly underwhelming and there are better ones out there. In general, I'd like to go to more events with my friends, maybe even make some new friends. Learning how to cook properly would also be beneficial.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 6:31 am

I plan to live.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 6:40 am

We currently have a spare room above our business office so I think I'm gonna convert it into an office for myself where I can do our business accounts, might put a leather recliner sofa in there for gaming as well.

I need to make the toilet more customer service friendly too, currently it's described as a dirty man toilet :lol:
Need to put like a baby changing station in it and complimentary customer stuff.

I wanted to make something to sell just to have something to do in spare time and set it up as a very small side business but I can never really think of what I want to make/sell. So yeah, probably something to do with the spare office next year lol.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 12:00 pm

I have no plans for next year.
Many things simply could and couldn't happen within my own circumstances within a year.

No new year's resolutions in my mind.

Maybe except tweaks and changes while playing catch up, no different from what I've been doing this whole time since I was a child.

Any changes or plans are more, well, a bit in a forseeable and immediate timelines, and somewhat long term yet repetitive attempts just to see if I'd able to do it consistently...

A lot of my 'plans' or wants are not immediately doable unless I got lucky.

I got lucky enough to have enough to get the money to restart my wardrobe with something sensory friendly, which is at least sits along with the backlog of stuff for 10+ years until, like, last week.

I also got lucky enough to be able to monitor myself more and troubleshoot better -- and realized a change within a year.
It may took me another year or more if I took a different turn or approach regardless of my effort.
But that was the outcome was found along with years worth of self reflection, attempted recordings and tons of trial and error.

For now I still have a lot in the backlog somewhere.
I just had to do it one or few at the time in between, pick the most plausible and desirable of outcomes within the current and more forseable time, until it's done or of it sticks for good.

Which could happen tomorrow, or in the next 20+ years. :lol:
Or, neither. It's a process, a growing system or a gradual and still on going practice/change.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Nov 2021, 11:06 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
My resolution for next year is to get a job if that doesn't happen during the last two months of this year.
I hear it's best not to make New Year resolutions. People can put alot of pressure on themselves to do something, not do something, achieve something. & 1ce something goes wrong or there's a slip-up the person sees it as a failure & they become very discouraged & give up trying. It can be great to have goals, especially if they are related to self-improvement but they should be broken down into small steps that are taken one at a time. We should also be prepared to slip-up & for things to go wrong. What's important is that we don't let the slip become a slide. We can take breaks but we shouldn't just decide to completely give up unless it's something that really is impossible or we decide we really do not want it anymore.

I really should start looking for a job myself. It would get me out of our apartment some & it may be very good for my physical & mental health. We could really use a little extra money & I could buy some needed things that keep getting put off. Plus I could negotiate a payment plan on my debt instead of worrying about it, I don't sleep well at night knowing I owe people & I WANT to make things right & even but cant afford to right now. One concern I have about getting a job is that I want to keep my benefits & there's a limit on how much I can earn in a month & still keep em. I'm not sure what that limit is but lots of companies & businesses want part-timers to work at least 30 hours a week & my state has a much higher minimum-wage than the federal one. I need to be careful about earning too much so that would majorly limit how many hours I can work which could majorly limit my employment options & my disabilities would limit me much more. I'm used to getting the runaround by various government organizations that are supposed to help me & I was looking for employment for YEARS when I was living with my parents & I was open to full-time & part-time. I've been living in Vermont for 9 years now but my parents knew about the surrounding area where they live a lot better than me & Cass know about our area of Vermont. Plus we moved two years ago & the pandemic started when we were finally settled in enough to want to go out & do things & explore things. There's a huge difference between being lazy & not caring to do something vs being discouraged & overwhelmed about how to get started. OK sorry for the rambling.
I really wish you good luck with getting a job.

I also really need to start being more active & cut down on my binge-eating & pigging out on snacks. I have started cutting back on buying snacks cuz I cant afford it & really need to lose some weight but holiday season makes it very difficult for me. I also keep saying I'm gonna start doing some exercises but I either do other stuff those days or I forget to exercise when I would have a good time to. Starting new routines can be very difficult for me if they involve work & can be dependent on other factors during the day that change.

In general thou I never had many major goals or dreams. I'm an Aspie with OCD so I do really like plans & knowing what is gonna happen but I need to know lots of details & have the data in order to make those plans. I never really been sure what I wanted to do with my life because I see all my limitations & issues & don't see things that I feel are realistic for me. I can be my own worse critic & enemy sometimes. I tend to just let others take charge & I tag alone & do whatever I'm told to if it is broken down into a small step that I know I can do.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 7:37 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with plans. Generally, I tend to find that if I over plan something I lose all interest in actually doing it. However, if I have no direction whatsoever, I don't know where to start and also lose interest in attempting the task. So I lay out a goal, I write it down and approach it when ready. I consider the steps that would be involved, but I try to keep it as generalised as possible. Once I've identified the first step and taken it, the process becomes easier and I can start breaking it down a bit more. However, if I write down every single step at once in full detail before I've taken the first step, then I no longer want to start the journey.

Personally I like to think of it as an overarching theme with adjustable goalposts which can be broken down into smaller tasks but I only let my brain in on these tasks when necessary. I'll look at the goalpost, then tell myself "OK, all I need to do is *small task*" then I'll think 'Alright, I've done *small task*, so I might as well do *another small task* now'. Then I'll keep adding to it, and before my brain has fully caught on, I've tricked myself into reaching the goalpost. However, if I wrote out all of those steps in their entirety from the get-go, I would've likely just procrastinated on it. I need to get into the flow first. This can backfire though, since if I get into the flow too much then I end up missing important things. Which is why I have to hold myself accountable and set alarms to reach in and yank myself out of the flow and back into regular mode to enforce regular breaks.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:50 am

That sounds like a balanced approach. Sometimes plans need to be changed & adjusted as I go along because of variables that I could not anticipate. That's something I used to have a majorly hard time with. My parents quit telling me plans because they hated how I reacted when the plans were changed. Then I started reacting badly because I was not aware of things till the last minute & I had to suddenly stop what I was doing & rush around. I've gotten a lot more flexible about things since I've started medication for my OCD & anxiety & moved in with my girlfriend. Maybe I've gotten a tad wiser & more mature but I'm not sure.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 1:40 pm

I plan to find a job and feel like an accomplished person. Or come to terms with the fact that i don't need to be working to be an accomplished person.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 1:44 pm

- Finish writing my book
- Publish my research
- Retire
- Possibly travel overseas in September
- Sell a property
- Get my shite together emotionally (PTSD)

That's about it.

That's actually a lot. I'm not a plan maker at all, but those are all things that will be happening in 2022.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:10 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I plan to live.

Me too.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:42 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I don't know about you, but I'm mentally done with this year. Do you have any plans for the future?

Yes.
Ending the "sex drought". 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:44 pm

AprilR wrote:
I plan to find a job and feel like an accomplished person. Or come to terms with the fact that i don't need to be working to be an accomplished person.

The latter would be a greater accomplishment, imo. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:48 pm

Lunella wrote:
We currently have a spare room above our business office so I think I'm gonna convert it into an office for myself where I can do our business accounts, might put a leather recliner sofa in there for gaming as well.

I need to make the toilet more customer service friendly too, currently it's described as a dirty man toilet :lol:
Need to put like a baby changing station in it and complimentary customer stuff.

I wanted to make something to sell just to have something to do in spare time and set it up as a very small side business but I can never really think of what I want to make/sell. So yeah, probably something to do with the spare office next year lol.

Start a family, if you haven't done so already?
*That* will gobble up your "spare time", no problems. :mrgreen:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 5:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
AprilR wrote:

The latter would be a greater accomplishment, imo. 8)
The latter sure would be a major accomplishment for my girlfriend. She's easily more disabled than me when it comes to employment type stuff. She fluctuates some & has some very bad days when she's too busy or stressed & she does stay kinda busy & stressed visiting different family members. She often compares herself to nondisabled people & judges herself the way independent nondisableds who come from wealthier backgrounds tend to negatively judge the disabled. It's kinda ironic because I only worked about 3 years of my life, come from a hard-core conservative state that loves to complain about disableds, my mom put a lot of pressure on me to find a job when I was not working as an adult whereas Cass's family never really put any pressure on her to, I'm more capable of handling a job than her; yet I don't really feel bad about myself for not working. Cass would NEVER judge me or other disableds negatively like she judges herself & I've pointed that out many times & mentioned how she should not have a much higher standard or expectation for herself but she cant incorporate that into how she feels about herself :cry:

Pepe wrote:
Start a family, if you haven't done so already?
*That* will gobble up your "spare time", no problems. :mrgreen:
Your very right about that. I'm on this forum a lot less nowadays than I used to be when I was single. I love this community & I want it to thrive like it was when I 1st joined but being here is a lower priority for me than it used to be.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 5:57 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I plan to live.

Me too.

Me three.