Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2021, 8:17 pm

They distort so much online. Kind of like capitalism on steroids, aren't they? A website, or a video, either has 20 views, or 20,000,000... barely ever any in between. Youtube and Wattpad are by far two of the worst sites for this I've noticed... 'recommendations' are full of stuff with millions of views, but most have less than a hundred.

Algorithms are damn useless... I mean, if they have millions of views why would they need more?!...

Whoever invented them is the digital equivalent of an obese person with bulimia who needs to keep eating despite being about to vomit...

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 8:34 pm

Google hates me. Even when I type in a unique phrase that only exists on my website, it shows no results.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 8:53 am

algorithm (n): A process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.

If algorithms did not exist, neither would video games, GPS navigation, CAD/CAM systems, synthesized music, spreadsheets, word processors, or computers themselves.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
Google hates me. Even when I type in a unique phrase that only exists on my website, it shows no results.

You can use the Google Search Console to "inform" them of it's presence through a sitemap.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 9:41 am

Bill Clinton played sax, and when his veep accompanied him on the congas...that was when "Al Gore Rhythms" were invented.

So you cant blame it on Google.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2021, 10:38 am

Fnord wrote:
If algorithms did not exist, neither would video games, GPS navigation, CAD/CAM systems, synthesized music, spreadsheets, word processors, or computers themselves.[/color]

There's a difference between that and what fuels extremism etc. online... I guess what I described is a form of that with regards to viral popularity, which makes no sense if it's not fuelled by people clicking links given by other people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 1:41 pm

noisserped wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If algorithms did not exist, neither would video games, GPS navigation, CAD/CAM systems, synthesized music, spreadsheets, word processors, or computers themselves.[/color]

There's a difference between that and what fuels extremism etc. online... I guess what I described is a form of that with regards to viral popularity, which makes no sense if it's not fuelled by people clicking links given by other people.

Its not what you're saying. Its the way you're saying it. It sounds ignorant.

An "algorithm" is just any mathematical recipe for solving a problem in a finite amount of steps. Algorithms predate computers ( I was taught algorithms in high school just for paper and pen math -nothing to do with computer programming- and I didnt even get very far in math), but are vital to computer science. This website wouldnt work without using zillions of algorithms.

So entitling a thread with "algorithms Shouldnt Exist" makes one sound rather bone headed, and silly.

I get what you're complaining about. The type of algorithms they use on search engines might arguably be unfair to struggling obscure websites.

Not sure what could be done about it. Except if you find some quirky odd obscure website that you like - then support it by subscribing to it.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 6:01 pm

Youtube isn't a content-creating platform, it's an advertising platform that just so happens to be full of content-creators. The algorithms do exactly what Google wants them to do which is to steer traffic towards the biggest videos and channels. Google couldn't give a damn about the the content creators or what they're making so long as it doesn't harm Youtube's reputation.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 8:59 am

noisserped wrote:
Fnord wrote:

@noisserped

So you're describing contrived viral videos?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 2:59 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:

How old is your website?

Hint: Create a blog on either Wordpress.com or Google Blogger. Use the blog to announce updates to your website, and include a link to your website's main page on the blog's "About" page. Google should then be able to find your website within a few weeks. Your website probably won't have high Google rankings yet, but at least Google's search engine will know your website is there.