Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 7:33 am

i was nonverbal up until i was 8 but strangely still played with the toys quite "normal' but without the verbal interacting stuff

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2021, 7:42 am

I barely remember. From what I do remember, I played with them silently while I was alone, but I remember having a lot of fun when I played with my friend (I know, probably the wrong answer). It seemed like I had more imagination then kids my age. I thought it was hilarious to have breakups, couple fights, etc. It seemed like Barbie and Ken were always fighting. The only other girls who played with dolls silently judged me, I think, because of all the conflict and drama I had to have. I hated playing alone and always asked my sister to come because she made it more fun. The best was when we would make up reality TV shows with the dolls. I liked dolls for a long time. My sister never wanted to play anymore, and it made me sad.
I guess the only thing that separated me from the other kids was that I hated sports. They all played games at recess, while I tried to avoid recess. I would always try to lure other girls away from the games to talk to me instead of playing.
Idk, that was kinda long. Looking at this, it makes me feel like I'm just too normal, because I'm such a girly girl. I still enjoy people-based things, as long as they're just people on TV, not someone I have to talk to.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 7:47 am

I don't know about before age 5. But from age 5 onwards, I played with toy fairly "normally."

I played board games, I played imaginary scenes, I played sports (not too well), I rode my bike. Stuff like that.

I also used to play football with pennies on a table when I was by myself.

My problems were with getting along with the other kids, rather than how I played.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 9:00 am

I took a lot of things apart, but was usually able to re-assemble them. I learned a tremendous amount about how things were made by looking for tool marks, mold lines, and such. Oddly, I don't like leaving such marks on my own work.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 9:13 am

I liked to play like any kid, I guess, but I do remember going through an obsessive phase where I would line all my pencils up. I also liked to undress all my dolls. :P

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 9:30 am

Hi Alita! ^ :heart:

I forgot to mention I had a collection of plastic bathtub boats that I played with in the tub, in our pool, and at the sea.

They don't make the same ones anymore or I'd still be playing with them.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 10:19 am

Hey Isabella :)
It's been a long time. I hope you're well.
I loved anything to do with water games as well. :heart:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 11:23 am

My mom said at 5 mos I was content to stack rings for hours by myself. I had a neighbor I got along with and we'd swing and explore the backyard. With playhouses, I liked opening and closing doors. My NT sister played with dolls while I had cars and animal figurines I moved around. Later I put batteries in the dollhouse garage and ran wires to a light bulb upstairs. I liked playing Teacher and bossing my younger sister around. We also performed scenes from Annie. I would play trivia board games by myself. I remember sitting in the backseat of my neighbor's dad's rundown car. They would pretend to be going places. I was exhilarated and terrified. I don't recall contributing, just watching. I did mazes and puzzles. I collected coins and stamps and model horses. As an adolescent I played board games and pool (billiards) with friends. I didn't know what to do when female friends invited me to their bedrooms to talk or polish fingernails. Now I can sit for hours talking, although my fingernails remain unpolished.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:00 pm

I sometimes had trouble doing 'calm' things when another child was at my house, like sitting listening to music or watching a movie. I often wanted to do 'rough play' that required a lot of physical energy. But not all the time. Sometimes I remember listening to music or watching movies with others, but not for long periods of time.

I remember when I was about 9 my younger cousin was round my house and she wanted to listen to a certain CD. I kind of had a tantrum, because I had too much energy I wanted to burn off and I wanted to play an energetic game. I kept on yelling ''NO, THAT CD IS CRAP!! !'' and I threw it across the room. Ever since, I felt sorry for the CD for making such a fuss over it, and I wish I could have been a more calmer, agreeable, easy child. I enjoyed playing Sega games with others though.

Oddly enough I seemed to have a fascination with faces, something autistic children ''aren't supposed'' to have. I had a set of Thomas the Tank Engine trains to play with, and each one seemed to have a different facial expression that I often picked up on.
I also used to make my teddy bear have facial expressions by squashing his face in certain areas to give him a facial expression. I even showed my teacher the different facial expressions I could give my bear. Is that unusual for a 4-year-old on the spectrum?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:48 pm

I also liked anything relating to water and would spend a long time in the bath just messing with the water, or I would play in the sink. I have never been able to swim well, but I still liked going to pools and the ocean and stuff like that, just to watch the water.

Me and my also autistic brother liked to spin each other in a computer chair sometimes, and we did that for years. I also liked watching him play games or playing games with him. I did play with my little cousins probably better than most kids, but I saw them relatively often and knew them since they were babies and I was like, 2.

When I did "play pretend" with toys I didn't really verbalize anything I was doing and sort of just sat there making them do normal things, like making dolls clean and take care of babies, or making animals do... well, animal stuff. lol

I also had baby dolls and played with them "normally" sometimes, by feeding them, changing them, etc. and I even asked for a baby doll a couple times. I liked pretending to do "normal" tasks that I could easily imitate, like cleaning, cooking, taking care of babies, though I didn't do anything actually that imaginative.

I was sort of destructive when I inspected things, but I don't think I really irreparably destroyed a lot of things. I was too scared to make my parents angry if I accidentally did that.

I was probably pretty bossy as a little kid because I wasn't good at playing with other kids. I wasn't mean, but I was just not good at cooperation yet.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:00 pm

I never wanted to just play around.
If I went into the water I wanted to swim, I learned to swim when I was 6 and I managed to swim 200 meters that year. Unfortunately the next year I had forgotten how to swim so I had to go through swimming school again.

/Mats

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:01 pm

Kinda like that. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I was like that on my first day of school, except to the teachers, not the children. :oops:

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:45 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I'm curious about how other people with ASD played as children?

I personally liked lining up and stacking things, and just generally organizing things. I did play with toys "properly" sometimes, though I often preferred inspecting parts of them instead of playing with them, and if I did do it "properly" I did the same things over and over. I also played pretend to a degree, but I didn't make up any characters or make up stories well, so I just pretended to be video game characters I liked, again in the same scenarios over and over. I also liked just running around and going on the swings a lot. I did like playing "with" other children, but I didn't like doing anything actually collaborative and mainly liked just doing the same activity in proximity to them, like drawing, swinging, stacking blocks, etc.

I liked to draw, paint, and think up elaborate stories and worlds. I still do all of those things actually! I had a lot of plushies and still do, though those are comfort items more than anything else/

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

This reminds me of something. On my first day of special ed. I had to take Adderall for the first time, and I got so upset over something that I had a massive meltdown and threw a chair. I remember all the kids and teachers staring at me like 8O . I had to go home early after like, an hour of being at school. lmao

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:52 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
I liked to draw, paint, and think up elaborate stories and worlds. I still do all of those things actually! I had a lot of plushies and still do, though those are comfort items more than anything else/

It's good to see you, NaturalEntity!

I liked to draw but I wasn't that good at it until I was around 11. I "scribbled" a lot due to lack of motor control. lol

I also collected dog plushies, and I think I still have some of them.