Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:48 pm

mohsart wrote:
I don't have an agressive bone in me, but "agressive" music tends to calm me down.

I'm the same way.

Sometimes all I need in the world is to scream some aggressive lyrics out loud, and lose myself in electric guitar.

I'm kind of obsessed with fast guitar / bass players.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 3:52 pm

mohsart wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
interesting!
I have to say that certain music with lots "agression" makes things worse for me. When I hear such music I tell myself: "I wish they could deal with their anger in a nicer way than playing this disturbing music!".
Does "agressive" music make any of you less agressive?

I don't have an agressive bone in me, but "agressive" music tends to calm me down.

/Mats

It tend to do the opposite for me.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Maybe mainstream isn't the right word - I just meant music that plays on popular radio stations what most people are into.

A lot of music Aspies post here are what I've never heard of before.

I'm not so hungry for new music anymore, but when I was I always apreciated when I got introduced to music I hadn't heard previously. The radio really doesn't do a very good job at that.
That said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying the music on the radio, I don't look down on people for gulping up what's played there. At least not anymore I don't.

/Mats

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:58 pm

I listen to metal and a lot of "aggressive" music. It doesn't really agitate me or make me feel worse or anything. I think it's just more stimulating than other types of music and I mainly listen to music to stim.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:59 pm

mohsart wrote:
I'd say the melody is there, it's just not in your face. Kind of like Hip Hop can be sometimes, and like Techno can seem to lack rythm.
As a comparison, I can tell you that I had a conversation with an uncle some 20 years ago, and he didn't understand how people could like The Beatles, it was all noice to him, no melodies!

/Mats
Edit: and now I have the melody of a Devourment song stuck in my head, I hadn't heard them before so I had to look them up

I'd agree that it still has a melody, but within metal melodic often seems to mean something more specific than just contains a melody. I don't have a good word to describe what stuff like NYDM or slam focus on, but generally I find that sorta death metal more to my tastes than melodeath, or technical or progressive subgenres of death metal.

I guess I prefer my metal regressive. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 4:02 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I listen to metal and a lot of "aggressive" music. It doesn't really agitate me or make me feel worse or anything. I think it's just more stimulating than other types of music and I mainly listen to music to stim.

I feel that pushing all our emotions 'n feelings inside our selves and refusing to deal with them seems weird or dangerous too me.
I guess I don't like to be a violent man. Angression is a scary thing. I can't stand "agressive" music. I guess peope who never experience agression need agressive music to help them feel.

Last edited by Dandansson on 02 Nov 2021, 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:03 pm

I get you, melodic metal and pop punk are concidered more melodic than death metal and hard core.
Just saying that it gets complicated when you really analyze it.

/Mats

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:12 pm

Dandansson wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I feel that pushing all our emotions 'n feelings inside our selves and refusing to deal with them seems weird or dangerous too me.
I guess I don't like to be a violent man. Angression is a scary thing. I can't stand "agressive" music. I guess peope who never experience agression need agressive music to help them feel.

I'm not sure I follow, seeking catharsis is a way of dealing with negative emotions if that's one's motive for listening to aggressive music. Besides, what one person deems aggressive another might just consider fun.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:16 pm

Platypus by Green Day is my go-to song when I'm upset with someone.

.... everybody sing! :twisted:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:19 pm

I can't handle aggressive music at all. I have massive meltdowns and can actually go into sensory overload shock.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
mohsart wrote:

I'm the same way.

Sometimes all I need in the world is to scream some aggressive lyrics out loud, and lose myself in electric guitar.

I'm kind of obsessed with fast guitar / bass players.
You and I are so similar in so many ways except this! :D

Wreck It Ralph

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:21 pm

Dandansson wrote:

I experience aggression sometimes and I guess sometimes I do use "aggressive" music to deal with it, though that's not the main reason I listen to it. Music in general doesn't trigger specific feelings for me that often, or at least ones that I can notice (alexithymia makes these things hard).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:25 pm

skibum wrote:
I can't handle aggressive music at all. I have massive meltdowns and can actually go into sensory overload shock.

I like a lot of quiet music too. Everything has a time and a place. 8)

I can't stand a lot of piano music, for sensory reasons. It's like the person is poking me when they hit the piano keys. It reminds me of little kids when they nudge you for attention, which drives me mad.

Chopin in particular makes me melt down. It's too "pokey". Sometimes my masseur plays classical music streams and if Chopin comes on I nearly jump off the table naked. :roll:

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 4:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I'm not sure I follow, seeking catharsis is a way of dealing with negative emotions if that's one's motive for listening to aggressive music. Besides, what one person deems aggressive another might just consider fun.

I feel like that agressive man is really a very sensitive and fragile human. Better to go into that than agression, I think.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:29 pm

Dandansson wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I feel like that agressive man is really a very sensitive and fragile human. Better to go into that than agression, I think.

I'm not sure it's aggressive, it's just the right energy for circle pits or skateboarding. It's fun.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 4:29 pm

skibum wrote:

For me it's like I turn all my emotions inside of myself and it just makess things worse.
It really can make people go to that meltdown thing even if they don't go all the way.