Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 12:05 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The houses built in the 50's had cavity walls which are designed to have an air gap between them. Many of these houses have had expanding foam pumped into these gaps and have had bad dampness issues ever since. This is because of condensation as there is no where where conde sation can get out. There has also been an increase in the residents picking up various viruses because the warm damp enviroment is the ideal breeding ground for germs and viruses. The houses that did not have the insulation have not had any damp issues and continue doing the job they were intended to do. My Dad worked on them for years and they knew these houses would give problwms if the cavities were insulated. It had been tried years ago and was abandoned due to the issues and they went back to leaving the air do its job. The principle is that this gap of air acts both as an insulator and as a ventilation to prevent dampness. The only downside to this system is that if one has a roof leak, the metal wall ties rust so will need replacing.

People here had the same problems when they put vinyl siding on older wooden sided homes.It’s a humid climate so the wood has moisture in it and then sweats under the siding rotting and growing mold.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 12:07 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The houses built in the 50's had cavity walls which are designed to have an air gap between them. Many of these houses have had expanding foam pumped into these gaps and have had bad dampness issues ever since. This is because of condensation as there is no where where conde sation can get out. There has also been an increase in the residents picking up various viruses because the warm damp enviroment is the ideal breeding ground for germs and viruses. The houses that did not have the insulation have not had any damp issues and continue doing the job they were intended to do. My Dad worked on them for years and they knew these houses would give problwms if the cavities were insulated. It had been tried years ago and was abandoned due to the issues and they went back to leaving the air do its job. The principle is that this gap of air acts both as an insulator and as a ventilation to prevent dampness. The only downside to this system is that if one has a roof leak, the metal wall ties rust so will need replacing.

The dreaded concrete build. I've bumped into a few on my house hunting adventures and they always seem a bit on the cold side. If left untouched and well maintained they're a house that does the job but when people start fannying around with them they like to bite back.

Over insulating a house can be a problem too. There is only so much you can realistically do with old houses. The houses I own have stone walls 750mm thick (actual measurements) and I question what external insulation will do. As bad an insulator as stone is, can much heat really escape from a wall thick enough to stop a cannon ball?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 12:12 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

People here had the same problems when they put vinyl siding on older wooden sided homes.It’s a humid climate so the wood has moisture in it and then sweats under the siding rotting and growing mold.

I had a problem with damp and mould in a house. The loft insulation was so thick it blocked the vents by the fascia boards and condensation started leaking through the ceiling lights and dripping onto the bedroom floors.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 12:36 pm

Mold.Ugh. I have high wood ceilings that have no finish on them ,if I don’t keep the humidity low they grow aspergillus blue mold.I don’t want “farmer’s lung” so run the AC on low most of the spring and summer.
Wood heat takes care of it in the winter.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2021, 1:43 pm

So in addition to insulation, these homes (& many others too it seems) need better ventilation. Are newer homes already built to such standards? Could this simply be a requirement in older homes when they are upgraded? Such as the vinyl over wood, instead require it to be done properly (not over the wood, but the wood removed), & so on?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I wanna be...an Insulation Terrorist! :D

Where do I sign up?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 2:48 am

One of my mother's childhood friends rents a rickety old apartment in inner London where the heating is linked to a coin operated box which also controls electricity (so no electric heaters either). It's a ruse by the landlord to ensure the old age pensioners or low wage earners run out of money they move out or freeze to death in winter.

Not much has changed from Dicken's London.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 5:59 am

One wall on our house is somewhere around 13ft thick in one corner but only around 6ft thick in the other. At the other end of the house in a room that was a garage but was too small in length to fit a car so apart from a few very short cars it was not practical, so was used as a storage room... It has an arrow slit window though it is not visible unless one removes the plaster on the outside or the plasterboard on the inside. (I prefer the stone look but this house is full of wooden wallboards over stone or brick (The kitchen was an extension so has early brick)).
Our last house we were able to roughly date it as being built before the 11th centuary. This house we are not sure because it has been rebuilt many times over the years. We know it was made before the 1600's but it could date right back through the history of the land and surrounding area.

This house does not look old though due to many generations having gradually improved upon it. It was once two very old cottages much like a neighbouring property a few hunderd yards from here where the neighbouring house was completely demolished in the 1980's and a large bungalow was built onto part of the foundations. It is actually a nicely built dwelling. I am more one who prefers if they took the old and extended it, as I like to see old houses re-invented so that they are modernized and used. I see far too many listed houses these days ending up in a poor state as they were listed and the owners could not afford to have the official listing builders in and they are not allowed to work on them themselves or change anything on the property, and so the properties start to fall into dissrepair. We once saw a lovely old cottage dating right back that had a 1970's caravan roof style window and the window in the roof was no longer available, was in a poor state of repair and despite the window being very young compared to the rest of the house, they were not allowed to change it for anything else then another one of these windows which had not been made for years, and so the house was deteriating around it. Sometimes, listing houses is the worst thing one can do to try to preserve them.

The houses which have been modernized many times through many generations still stand and are still in good repair because their owners have been able to substitute new for old when old is no longer available and this has gone on for generations.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:25 am

You have a wall 13 feet thick?

Thats like as thick as a castle wall.

Is it all stone?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:46 am

Maybe there's a secret chamber hidden in it ,like a Priest’s hole.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 12:49 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
So in addition to insulation, these homes (& many others too it seems) need better ventilation. Are newer homes already built to such standards? Could this simply be a requirement in older homes when they are upgraded? Such as the vinyl over wood, instead require it to be done properly (not over the wood, but the wood removed), & so on?

Modern homes area already built to such specs but it comes at a cost. Here in wales they have very chunky insulation, wired in smoke detectors and sprinklers. Doesn't stop people wondering why houses are so expensive though.