Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 6:25 pm

How did I miss this?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 6:28 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
I got some really good answers to my question.
I now see I was wrong about this, and that barbaric punishments has no place in a civilized society.

There are crimes where because of the criminals social or economic conditions fines, jail, and loss of status mean little or nothing. In these cases a good sound Singapore style thrashing would be the best deterrent.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 6:30 pm

theprisoner wrote:
It's 2021, not 1021. Why not just bring back medieval torture. stockades. The guillotine. Lets have public executions. :skull:

I wrote a poem about the guillotine.

The guillotine
The guillotine
The guillotine
It's a beheading machine!
Chop chop off goes the top!

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 6:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Because there's no reason to assume it actually deters crime
Because corporal punishment is utter barbarism and antithetical to our understanding of basic human rights.

Focusing on what motivates crime is a better approach than just dreaming up increasingly cruel punishments for those who transgress.

Focusing on what motivates crime...

That pretty much says it all. Hey give us a Marxist utopia and you've got no crime.

What say you about the truly evil mfs like Tedd Bundy and John Wayne Gacy? Would a Marxist utopia stop Jeffry Dahmer from making fried human biceps on his stove top? Don't you think a quick execution would be preferable to imprisoning these monsters forever at tax payer expense?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 5:36 am

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Because corporal punishment is utter barbarism and antithetical to our understanding of basic human rights.

Focusing on what motivates crime is a better approach than just dreaming up increasingly cruel punishments for those who transgress.

That pretty much says it all. Hey give us a Marxist utopia and you've got no crime.

What say you about the truly evil mfs like Tedd Bundy and John Wayne Gacy? Would a Marxist utopia stop Jeffry Dahmer from making fried human biceps on his stove top? Don't you think a quick execution would be preferable to imprisoning these monsters forever at tax payer expense?

I don't believe the state ever has the authority to murder.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 11:09 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Killing in war, for self defense, and in execution of a judicial sentence is by definition not murder.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 7:36 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

BTW this buy nothing on black friday stuff is old news, it or something like it has been around since at least 1992.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 9:16 am

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

BTW this buy nothing on black friday stuff is old news, it or something like it has been around since at least 1992.

I've been aware of Buy Nothing Day for as long as I've been aware of Black Friday. :wink:
It just seems like more people are becoming aware of it, which seems like a positive development.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 9:18 am

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Killing in war, for self defense, and in execution of a judicial sentence is by definition not murder.

That tends to be how the state defines it but they do have a conflict of interest in that regard.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 1:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I've been aware of Buy Nothing Day for as long as I've been aware of Black Friday. :wink:
It just seems like more people are becoming aware of it, which seems like a positive development.

Looks like more malcontents who hate holidays white people like just because they like them. Did you know Kwanzza was made up by a convict from his prison cell?

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 3:12 pm

For my mentality, amputation of a hand for theft (especially not-so-large theft) looks very vile and unjust, cruel, utterly barbaric, "idiotic"... It may even looks as less just than capital punishment (which might be allowed only in really severe crimes).

I have "internal war" in my mentality between "lenient", "turbo-universalistic" monotheistic beliefs (which are not supported by books from antiquity and medieval times) and harsh abrahamic monotheism which are based for example on Quran or Torah. "Turbo-universalism" "calls" abrahamic religions the most diabolical ones despite the fact that they are usually monotheistic. But for "turbo-universalism" having monotheism in set of beliefs is one of things that make severe religions based on Bible, Quran, Torah, Book of Enoch so successful and so dangerous and, according to "turbo-universalistic" position, so evil. Monotheism is logical for me, severe punishments (especially for "small" crimes") look as a form of evil to my "mentality". My "mentality" "knows that there is only one deity, but it does not know which set of monotheistic beliefs is true" (the "mentality" supposes that it would be better when any of the abrahamic religions would be true because it wants pleasure and comfort without end even for the most "perverted" sentient creatures).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 5:40 pm

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I think a just society doesn't decide to kill people just because keeping them alive is more expensive.

In Canada, the death penalty was abolished in large part because of the recognition that the occasional error is inevitable, and the decision that executing an innocent person is so morally abhorrent that we shouldn't execute anyone, just in case. A big part of this was the case of Steven Truscott, who was convicted of murder and sentenced to death, had his sentence commuted to life imprisonment (in large part because he was a juvenile), and later revealed to have been innocent of the murder he almost got killed over.

I also believe that redemption, while unlikely for some people, can't be definitely known to be impossible as long as a person remains alive. While lifelong imprisonment may be necessary to prevent harm to other people, we should leave open the possibility for redemption as much as possible. And even behind bars, it's possible to make choices to have a more positive impact on people than you've had in the past.

There's also some neuroscience research raising questions about the nature of free will and psychopathology, which makes me wonder how to reconcile these findings with a justice system predicated on the idea of punishing people for freely-chosen acts. For example, someone who's been abused by every significant adult in their life so far, including having an abusive parent force them to abuse their sibling - how responsible is that person, really, if they abuse more people when they're out of that environment? How could they have learned to act in any other way? There's also evidence that the relationship between abuse victimization and violence perpetration is influenced by genetics - ie, people with certain genes are more likely to become violent if abused - and genetics certainly aren't a choice. It raises concerns for me about the whole concept of punishment, and especially capital punishment.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 8:16 pm

I say bring the miscreants before this wonderful man.

Here's a guy who loved his job and would never go for a fake sick day or any garbage like that. Just strap the criminals naked to a frame and let him go hog wild.