Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:43 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
thinkinginpictures wrote:
Saudi Arabia has a lower crime rate than any other country in the world.
So do Singapore, though they don't amputate hands, they still have harsh punishments like flogging.
The same can be said about Iran and China.

In other words: The countries with the most barbaric punishments has lower crime rates, usually.

Flogging, eh? How long does that take? A few minutes? If you put a young man in prison for 30 years, He'll come out a 50 year old man with no skills and no recent work experience. The only skills he'll learn will be taught by other criminals.

With no employeable skills or experience he'll be forced to support himself by a life of crime. On the other hand, if you spend a short time flogging him, you can send him straight back to the work force or education without using up half his adult life.

Barberic punishment? I honestly think that using up half a life time is half a death sentance. Even the remaining half of his life will be reduced in quality. The flogging is more civilized.

I am pretty sure the US Supreme Court would consider flogging "cruel and unusual punishment" so I dont think it would be an option in the US.Although I dont know everything but I have lived in the states for a long time and I have never heard of that punishment being used in my lifetime.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:50 pm

It's 2021, not 1021. Why not just bring back medieval torture. stockades. The guillotine. Lets have public executions. :skull:

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:53 pm

How about amputation for rape? Why is theft a more serious crime?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:44 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
How about amputation for rape? Why is theft a more serious crime?

This will be installed on the offending member.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:58 am

Whats the scale on that thing..looks a lil big...i mean small.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:07 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Because there's no reason to assume it actually deters crime
Because corporal punishment is utter barbarism and antithetical to our understanding of basic human rights.

Focusing on what motivates crime is a better approach than just dreaming up increasingly cruel punishments for those who transgress.

Saudi Arabia has a lower crime rate than any other country in the world.
So do Singapore, though they don't amputate hands, they still have harsh punishments like flogging.
The same can be said about Iran and China.

In other words: The countries with the most barbaric punishments has lower crime rates, usually.

I would hardly want to mirror anything Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Iran or China does.

Countries with barbaric punishments are countries you would never want to live in. Whatever their crime rate is, (not that I would trust whatever stats they make public), I can say with certainty that the assumed security from crime is greatly offset by the hard-lined fanatical authoritarian government that oppressed all within its radius.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:16 am

Another issue: Red states will use amputation more often on people of color than on whites, like with everything else.

Anarchy is the only way to keep people of color safe.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:19 am

I know this has been resolved but what if you were accused of stealing and you were innocent?

What if you were in a bad situation and you needed food? People need to eat and people will steal to survive. Look at what happened during Katrina?

It's not a black and white issue here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 1:40 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Another issue: Red states will use amputation more often on people of color than on whites, like with everything else.

Doesn't Anarchy do away with all discrimination laws......or all laws for the matter?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:56 pm

Nades wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Doesn't Anarchy do away with all discrimination laws......or all laws for the matter?

Yeah. Anarchy wouldn't keep people of color safe. It'd take away any punishment for getting together with a bunch of your hate-filled buddies, dressing up in pointy-hatted white outfits, and hanging them from a tree.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 4:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The Electric Chair is a barbaric form of execution----and is not commonly used these days.
But it is still allowed, and was used less than a year ago.
But its use has not stopped others from committing murder.

How do you know? How do you know there wasn't someone who wanted to murder someone else but he didn't do it because he feared the electric chair? You can't possibly know that fear of punishment has never stopped a crime before it even begun.

How many people commit crimes assuming they'll be caught? :scratch:

None. I'm talking about the people who didn't commit crimes because they assumed they'd be caught if they did.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 4:48 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The Electric Chair is a barbaric form of execution----and is not commonly used these days.
But it is still allowed, and was used less than a year ago.
But its use has not stopped others from committing murder.

How do you know? How do you know there wasn't someone who wanted to murder someone else but he didn't do it because he feared the electric chair? You can't possibly know that fear of punishment has never stopped a crime before it even begun.

How many people commit crimes assuming they'll be caught? :scratch:

None. I'm talking about the people who didn't commit crimes because they assumed they'd be caught if they did.

I'm just saying that fear of getting caught likely isn't the only factor deterring people. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that most people are deterred from antisocial behaviour by more than just their lack of self-confidence about the ability to get away with it. I hope not.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 6:26 pm

A factor. Not the only factor.

If punishment isn't a deterrent then why do we have it? Just for revenge?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 6:30 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Yes. Human civilization is sadistic. Haven't you noticed?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 6:39 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
A factor. Not the only factor.

Sure seems that way.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 7:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
If punishment isn't a deterrent then why do we have it?
While punishment may deter the individual being punished, it does little or nothing to deter others.  Heck, when classmates were getting suspended for cheating, all that did for the others was to inspire them to create cheating methods that lowered the risk of getting caught.  In the same way, capital punishment has not stopped murderers from disposing of the bodies of their victims in out-of-the way places where the elements can erase any evidence that would connect the murderer to the victim.