Is there such thing as too much protein?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:26 am

I’m trying to eat as much protein as I can to keep my hair healthy this Winter. Is there such thing as eating too much protein? I love lean steaks, fish and beans for my protein sources.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 9:38 am

If you don't enjoy keto farts you'll probably find an upper limit.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2021, 5:46 am

Don't really understand how eating as much protein as you can would keep your hair healthy. Hair strands are dead tissue, what you are eating during winter season would affect about an inch of hair strand that would grow from your follicles. I believe trying to consume enough of all minerals, vitamins and other essential/beneficial nutrients and trying to stay healthy in general to keep ALL the processes running smoothly would be much better than just trying to eat as much protein as you can.

In general I don't think you can realistically consume too much protein to hurt you unless have some preexisting issues with your liver, kidneys, prone to constipation etc. "Protein poisoning" from consuming lean meats for prolonged periods of time actually turned out to be result of deficit of essential fatty acids, IIRC. If you are eating waaaay too much, your poop would contain more undigested protein and you might have some digestive tract issues just due to volume, some bloating, constipation.

smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2021, 5:51 am

Ah, yes, if you don't workout regularly while eating a lot of protein, high concentration of amino acids in your blood might interfere with tryptophan metabolism, make you depressed. This is even more of a problem with amino acid supplements, so be cautious.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:12 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I’m trying to eat as much protein as I can to keep my hair healthy this Winter. Is there such thing as eating too much protein? I love lean steaks, fish and beans for my protein sources.

I'm not joking when I tell you this but Tale n Mane shampoo (originally for horses) is really good for your hair. I know loads of women who have used it over the years.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2021, 3:19 pm

I don't think there are health risks to a high protein diet. But there's a law of diminishing returns. A point where adding more protein won't give you any more health benefits.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 7:25 am

babybird wrote:
xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

I'm not joking when I tell you this but Tale n Mane shampoo (originally for horses) is really good for your hair. I know loads of women who have used it over the years.

Reminds me of the farm women I know who swear by Bag Balm (designed for dairy cattle) for mastitis and other breastfeeding-related issues.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 7:49 am

i've read that one should pay less attention to the % of dietary protein [upper safe limit for most folks is somewhere around 40% of daily calories], and pay more attention to putting quality human fuel in your system, meaning NO refined carbs! that means no sugar, nothing made of any kind of flour, no popcorn, no pasta or cake or cereal or corn. strictly limit white rice and white potatoes. limit fruits to in-season and limit them to berries. strictly limit most oils, with the possible exception of FRESH MCT oil [the body treats that a lot like a good whole carb], rancid oils cause lots of disease. dr. joel fuhrman invented something he calls "the nutritarian diet" which is memorable due to his acronym for it, GBOMBS-
*Greens *Beans *Onions *Mushrooms *Berries *Seeds. main meal of the day should be a large salad with those things in it. if you eat mostly that stuff, you will do alright. the diet worked for me as long as i could stand to eat it, which was about 2 years. YMMV.