Has anyone ever felt they had a undiscovered condition?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 7:15 am

I sometimes feel I have cancer that has not been detected yet.

Im a person who is an amalgam of disorder and normalcy, the ratio between one and the other depending upon the day and hour.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 2:48 pm

Glflegolas wrote:
It's possible that the traits originally attributed to ASD may be caused by a lack of visual processing speed, but that's hard to know for sure.

Hello. Could you expand on this (or point me in a direction)? I have extremely fast visual processing speed, but my language processing is for naught. I'm new to the world of ASD, so maybe it's simply that I missed that phase.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 4:43 pm

My condition does not look like a typical ASD, but I received diagnosis of Asperger syndrome (F84.5 in ICD-10, a pervasive developmental disorder) more than 13 years ago.

I think that my condition may be more like NVLD or personality/emotional disorder than like "typical condition from the spectrum". I definitely name my condition a pervasive developmental disorder, I could even name it "a (schizophrenia-spectrum) mental illness which is at the same time a pervasive developmental disorder also". I have ruling of disability with symbols of both mental illness and pervasive developmental disorder. I think that my mental disorder is severe. It is not "MILD autism".

I might say that people with high-functioning ASD are significantly more "normal" than me. I have moderate level of disability ("level 2" in scale from 0 to 3) and ruling of total incapacity of "normal" work which gives me social pension. I am not as disabled as someone who, for example, can't walk or can't see anything, so I have not ruling of severe level of disability and (or) incapacity of independent existence, I have more comfortable life than people who can't walk or don't have the sight at all, so I do not have the highest level of disability which can be "diagnosed" in Poland.

People with really mild PDD, with very high-functioning Asperger's would not get even mild level of disability. Even people with only mild intellectual disability (which is associated with VERY LOW IQ despite being only "mild intellectual disability") are not classified as ad least mildly disabled in Polish disability ruling system.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 8:29 am

Autism is not a real diagnosis of someone’s condition anyway.

Autism itself is just a 1940s umbrella term to label those with a condition science didn’t and still doesn’t understand.

They have to give it a name and so the condition autism/ Aspergers was born.

The reality is there’s multiple autism’s with multiple causes one day they will be identified but for now have to settle as best we can with the label we have

- George Bernie Shaw

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

Autism is a misleading word to name it anyway, because autism means self, so it implies that we're all selfish. I don't think I'm selfish, and I know plenty of NTs that ARE selfish by nature.

I still think they should call it Social Communication Sensory Disorder, as I think it will be better understood. Autism automatically makes most people think of a severely intellectually disabled person with 0 life just sitting rocking all the time and having no concept of other people at all. That or Rain Man.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 12:52 pm

It doesn’t imply that we’re “selfish.”

It more implies that we are immersed within ourselves to a certain degree. Some more than others. A good “big word” is “solipsism.” We are more solipsistic than NTs, usually. We are “into” ourselves more than we are into other people, usually. We have difficulty going “beyond” ourselves.

I didn’t even know there were other people—nor did I even know I was a person—until I was 5 years of age. I just lived by instinct.

I started “emerging” from my autism when I was 5.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 1:12 pm

I knew there was other people from birth because my parents say I made eye contact and loved to play with people that gave me attention, and I was naturally a sociable baby. As a toddler I went to preschool and had a few friends. I remember when I was 3 I was at preschool and there was a child screaming for her mum, and I felt concerned for her and also wanted to cry myself but managed to not. But I knew how she was feeling - and I was just 3 years old. I remember that moment and how I felt very well. So I had social awareness, until I started school at 4, I suddenly decreased in social awareness but that only lasted about 4 weeks, then I regained it again. I still don't know what all that was about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 2:19 pm

Who knows?

Maybe you "regressed," like some autistic people do, but didn't "regress" for long, fortunately.

There are autistic people who develop "normally" for maybe 2-3 years, then lose most of their skills all of a sudden. Sometimes, they gain them back easily; sometimes, it's very difficult to regain them. This is called either "regressive autism," or "childhood disintegrative disorder."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Who knows?

Maybe you "regressed," like some autistic people do, but didn't "regress" for long, fortunately.

There are autistic people who develop "normally" for maybe 2-3 years, then lose most of their skills all of a sudden. Sometimes, they gain them back easily; sometimes, it's very difficult to regain them. This is called either "regressive autism," or "childhood disintegrative disorder."

Well I seemed to have a phobia of school. It was an old Victorian building and had a depressing vibe to it, and I didn't like the uniform I had to wear and the school gym scared me for some reason. Also the schoolgates made it feel like a prison camp. I became extremely anxious as soon as I started there (I was 4 and a half). I also suffered severe ear infections and was partially deaf too (this got sorted with an operation), so that might have also contributed to my behaviour. But I just was terrified of school for a couple of months.

Not long before I started school, I was fine at noisy birthday parties, and at preschool, and I engaged in social activities with my peers without any anxiety. But school just terrified me for some weird reason. I also suffered separation anxiety with my mum (this actually continued until my 20s).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:37 pm

Nope....this doesn't sound like regressive autism to me.

It sounds like you were sensitive to your environment, and reacted accordingly.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 3:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Well if I didn't react like that then I probably would have been just like 99% of girls with mild/high-functioning Asperger's and have not have been diagnosed in childhood at all. How I envy them. :x

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 4:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Well if I didn't react like that then I probably would have been just like 99% of girls with mild/high-functioning Asperger's and have not have been diagnosed in childhood at all. How I envy them. :x

Your probably just very high functionning aspie, there`s no cookie cutter version of autism, some scientists think autism is an auto immune disorder so maybe your functionning level fluctuated when you was exposed to certain things or just things going on in your body.

- George Bernie Shaw

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 4:28 pm

Having a diagnosis of Aspergers probably would only affect you if you wanted to go into the armed forces.

If you haven't been involuntarily admitted to a mental hospital, it won't be on your record.

On any normal job application, you don't have to disclose your diagnosis. Only, maybe, in an application for a high security-clearance job.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Your probably just very high functionning aspie, there`s no cookie cutter version of autism, some scientists think autism is an auto immune disorder so maybe your functionning level fluctuated when you was exposed to certain things or just things going on in your body.

Autoimmune disorders terrify me, I hope I don't have that. Otherwise I will die from both viruses and protection of viruses (ie, vaccines). Actually I've had two covid vaccinations and my immune system hasn't attacked itself.

But nobody knows what autism really is and it's cause, so I suppose they'll just come up with anything these days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:47 pm

I have autism----and no autoimmune disorders.

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2021, 12:28 am

I definitely thought I did for a while. I think PDA(pathological demand avoidance) describes me better than just saying autism. It’s considered a profile of autism, but one huge trait is avoiding everyday demands like school and chores. That’s always been my most disabling trait. It’s still a huge problem for me.

I think that label explains why I do worse in life than a lot of aspies even though my classically autistic traits often look weaker. As a kid I didn’t quite meet the full criteria for autism. People were willing to give me a diagnosis since I obviously had something.

I just don’t do well in a school environment. I probably wouldn’t be able to survive 9-5 jobs either. Often times when I get into something structured I’ll sort of be able to function because of the novelty of it, but after a month or two I just burn out.

Maybe my PDA traits could just be thrown under the umbrella of autism. I’m honestly not a huge fan of autism. It’s just too convenient for other people. Whenever I go to the doctor for anything I’m worried it will just be blamed on autism. So I hate going to the doctor. Any mental health issues are even worse. It’s one thing to acknowledge co-morbidities. Unfortunately people just use autism as an excuse to stop looking for answers. I bet my anxiety issues would have been addressed more if I wasn’t labeled autistic.

It’s all “part of autism” so no one will even try helping me. “Autism treatments” will solve it all since that’s all I am to people. Autism treatments haven’t done s**t for me since I have demand avoidance. All this autism label does is make other people feel like they understand me better. I think PDA could actually help people understand me better if it was a more well-known label.