Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

Fnord wrote:
What numerical value do you attribute to this "probability"?  How do you validate it?

So how do you all check for accuracy -- "I believe it, and that settles it"?

Sorry, kids; but that is not good enough.  Mere belief proves nothing.

Gonna ignore my comment about a situation where I actually got external feedback on the accuracy of my "autdar"?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:34 am

Fnord wrote:
Redpaws wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Fnord wrote:
But if you disagree, then put it to the test. The next time a stranger shows up on your aut-dar, walk straight up to that person, make eye-contact, and ask that person, “Are you autistic?”
And what if they're autistic and don't know it? So many people are undiagnosed.
And also: why would they confirm it to a stranger? i would definitely find it rude and invasive if someone just walked up to me and asked me that
You have missed the point completely.

If a person claims to have some special ability, and that person fails to prove the claim, then the person does not have the ability.

Not true. It just means they haven't proven it.

If a child can read, but they take a dislike to the clinician assessing them and refuse to read the flashcards the clinician shows them, they don't suddenly lose the ability to read.

And it's not even a particularly remarkable claim to say you can spot autism in a casual interaction with someone. It's a condition that causes recognizable behavioral characteristics that affect social interaction, it'd be weirder if it wasn't possible to spot it in casual interaction. It just means you know about as much about autism as a decently competent clinician, and that's not that hard if you have experience with autism.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:46 am

Fnord wrote:
enz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Aut-dar, just like aspie-dar, is a myth, so call it whatever you will...
I disagree, peoples behaviour can hint there on the spectrum
Hints are not evidence; and therefore prove nothing.
theprisoner wrote:
I also agree to disagree. I have an uncanny ability to spot autistic traits very quickly, with high probability.
What numerical value do you attribute to this "probability"?  How do you validate it?

So how do you all check for accuracy -- "I believe it, and that settles it"?

Sorry, kids; but that is not good enough.  Mere belief proves nothing.

I remember, out of the blue, a guy being interview on tv. Immediately i called it "hes autistic". a minute later he revealed he was autistic. Does that count.

Sometimes the clothes gives it away, or the speech pattern. the higher the cluster of traits , the higher probability. Of course sometimes, you cant confirm it, it's just a hunch. But if if walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....
Its automatic. I think i read people pretty well, maybe even better than most, because i have been forced to fine-tune that skill. If there is anything such a 'autdar' i believe i have it. Now can i prove it? well i dont get paid to do scientists work.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:05 am

It'd be great if we could prove the existence of 'autdar' because then we could set up a booth somewhere and everyone could get a walk-through diagnosis instead of having to wait 2 years or pay for the privilege.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

Fnord wrote:
Aut-dar, just like aspie-dar, is a myth, so call it whatever you will.

But if you disagree, then put it to the test. The next time a stranger shows up on your aut-dar, walk straight up to that person, make eye-contact, and ask that person, “Are you autistic?”

I have read too many accounts wherein people claim to be able to know when another person is on the spectrum when they have never verified their alleged “knowledge”.

Mere belief proves nothing.

I think the socially awkward vibes autistics give off can be picked up by many. If I see a 40 year old sitting in the corner of a pub with his mum not speaking to anyone and keeping himself to himself, I can safely assume he's a likely candidate to be autistic.

Autism of any kind gives off its own signs and shouldn't be considered as an invisible disability. It is afterall a severe impairment of social development and isn't too difficult to spot given enough time.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:25 am

I must say, I can usually spot an autistic person. I don't know what it is though.

I used to have gaydar when I was very young but I lost that ability, maybe because I learned that it's not even important.

I think it is important though to instinctively know if someone has a disability when it isn't always visibly obvious. It just makes me more considerate of the individual when I get that vibe. I've never had a word for it though.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:28 am

Oh yes i also have gaydar. I'm just very observant of body language, gesture, intonation, in general.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 2:15 pm

neurotype reader

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 2:28 pm

... beliefs ... opinions ... "vibes" ... Does anyone have any facts?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 3:00 pm

Fnord wrote:

I do, which you've ignored.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 3:11 pm

Ettina wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Those were only personal opinions and observations.

How do you verify the results of your "aspie-dar"?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 3:19 pm

NTs seem to have no trouble spotting us. It's just that they don't have a word for us so they label us as weird or quirky or something and leave us out and things. So why is it not possible for us to easily spot each other in a crowd except we do have a word for us because we know.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 3:23 pm

babybird wrote:
NTs seem to have no trouble spotting us. It's just that they don't have a word for us so they label us as weird or quirky or something and leave us out and things. So why is it not possible for us to easily spot each other in a crowd except we do have a word for us because we know.
How do you know?  Do you verify your assumptions?

Social awkwardness could be a sign of early-onset schizophrenia.

Physical clumsiness could be a sign of cerebral palsy.

Meltdowns could be a sign of juvenile diabetes.

Special interests could be a sign of OCD.

How do you know that a person does not have at least one of these other medical conditions?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 3:29 pm

I've worked alongside people who I have suspected of having aspergers syndrome and then it has come out later on that they do have a diagnosis of it. Its happened quite a lot of times in my life.

I'm talking about adults here. I don't k ow if I could spot it in children.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 6:35 pm

Fnord So your saying that it’s impossible for people’s behaviour to give them away that they are on the spectrum

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Those were only personal opinions and observations.

How do you verify the results of your "aspie-dar"?

Reread my response. I explained how I verified it.