Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 12:32 pm

Cornflake wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Here's a respected article in Nature about the subject. Simon Baron-Cohen
... in which SBC says:
Quote:
Personally, I no longer feel comfortable with naming the diagnosis after Hans Asperger. In any case, this is a category rendered moot in the most recent edition of the DSM (used in the United States). European nations will follow this diagnostic lead in 2019, with the 11th edition of the International Classification of Diseases.
(my emphasis)

The name is already consigned to history.

The DSM used in the United States

Ok, found a link from the UK.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism/asperger-syndrome

Quote:
Many people who fit the profile for Asperger syndrome are now being diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder instead. Each person is different, and it is up to each individual how they choose to identify. Some people with a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome may choose to keeping using the term, while others may prefer to refer to themselves as autistic or on the autistic spectrum.

But they're still using it as a valid term throughout the page.

I notice it's not being used as a term on the NHS website, so maybe this thread is a few years behind the times. Seems to be getting phased out already here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 1:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Either way what does it matter. is it a asd trait to get upset over hypothetical situations? (i try not to get caught in that) or be obsessed with long-dead doctors in foreign countries in distant past....? (trivia) what's done is done. future is unpredictable, what you do now is what matters. (be practical, rational)

No, it is not an ''Aspie thing'' to get easily upset over things like this, because I seem to be the only one here who's bothered by this.

I already believe my ASD is a curse, you couldn't get much more unluckier than being tortured in a concentration camp.

Will it just be us autistic people they're going to throw into concentration camps, or are there other unlucky people who the nazis are going to execute too?

Should all people with Asperger's have their diagnosis took off their medical records so that we won't get hunted down by nazis?

Won't Boris Johnson and Joe Biden and all the other leaders protect us from nazis and stop this happening? Why should I be tortured just because I have a label that I was, and am still, against of getting diagnosed with?
It bothers me that someone posts something that bothers you (and others), especially on their first post.  I do not know why some people seem to think it is funny to post something that is bound to trigger others.  I hope you feel better soon.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 4:29 pm

Quote:
It bothers me that someone posts something that bothers you (and others), especially on their first post. I do not know why some people seem to think it is funny to post something that is bound to trigger others. I hope you feel better soon.

Threads like these that claim that there's a chance autistic people will be executed some time in the future do pop up occasionally, and I love the way most of the repliers aren't triggered at all. It just gets discussed lightly like it's no big deal. But the Holocaust IS a big deal.

I mean, how would a black person feel if someone created a topic claiming that black people might be executed in the future? It wouldn't go unnoticed or ignored, and they would have a right to feel triggered too. Or if a topic was created claiming women might be executed. Or any group of people. So why do people get away with frightening autistic people on autism forums?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 4:35 pm

Game2Winter wrote:
What do you think about this?

Some people like to argue about anything they can these days and most of it is fuelled by self pity and displaced anger. If there's a general concensus to move to a different label I'd go along with it but don't want to witness the debate.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Nov 2021, 4:53 pm

Nazis do still exist some here in the US but they are concerned about hating on minority races instead of hating on Aspies. Aspies are extremely low on their list of people to hate & they are even some Aspies who support the Nazis

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 4:54 pm

Game2Winter wrote:
Hans Asperger was a Nazi scientist who executed around 800 of those who he diagnosed. I will not say any more because I do not want to disturb any Holocaust survivors, but you can read his article on Wikipedia.

The thing is, it concerns me that we are using the name of a Nazi murderer to label us. Moreover, it surprises me that we, especially qualified psychologists are taking in the words of a Nazi. What if their plan was to label intellectuals intentionally for execution? Don't forget that Hitler was strongly anti-intellectual (in fact, some historians say that the reason he hated Jews in the first place was that there were many intellectuals among the Jewish population). Should we trust the words of a mass murderer? This is like trusting believing Hitler's racist proclamations about Germanic people being superior to everyone else. Don't forget that many people with Asperger's have high intellect, creativity, and ability in diverse fields. What if their plan was to murder and eliminate all of us from the world? No one would oppose them because of them labelling us as "mentally disabled" (don't forget, part of the Holocaust was about murdering all disabled people).

What do you think about this? Do you believe this? I know it sounds crazy, but you can make your own judgement in the poll below.

Not sure why you think Hitler hated intellectuals, that was a communist thing associated mostly with Cambodia & Pol Pot regime as they associated them with the bourgeois upper class.

Who was going to build his U boats & V2 rockets?

- George Bernie Shaw

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 5:25 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
It bothers me that someone posts something that bothers you (and others), especially on their first post. I do not know why some people seem to think it is funny to post something that is bound to trigger others. I hope you feel better soon.

Threads like these that claim that there's a chance autistic people will be executed some time in the future do pop up occasionally, and I love the way most of the repliers aren't triggered at all. It just gets discussed lightly like it's no big deal. But the Holocaust IS a big deal.

I mean, how would a black person feel if someone created a topic claiming that black people might be executed in the future? It wouldn't go unnoticed or ignored, and they would have a right to feel triggered too. Or if a topic was created claiming women might be executed. Or any group of people. So why do people get away with frightening autistic people on autism forums?

The OP never seriously implied any of that. The OP was talking about history 70 years ago.

In this day and age with a camera, internet and phone calls at the grab of a hand, genocides won't go unnoticed for long. A genocide the scale of the Holocaust will probably never happen again. If anything did happen in the future to people with disabilities, it'll probably be in the form of a much more subtle imprisonment instead.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Nov 2021, 6:28 pm

It's not very helpful to speculate on the ways in which dark things might happen - it only encourages unnecessary and unjustifiable worry for others.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 1:36 am

O my goodness. I totally. Missed the point of the OP. That is nuts. It's so nuts I just thought he was criticising Has Asperger for working with Nazis.

I didn't know why you were all thinking people labelled as Aspies could be killed today or imprisoned.

It's so stupid I have to just laugh at the OP.

No. Just no.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 2:13 am

Nades wrote:
In this day and age with a camera, internet and phone calls at the grab of a hand, genocides won't go unnoticed for long. A genocide the scale of the Holocaust will probably never happen again. If anything did happen in the future to people with disabilities, it'll probably be in the form of a much more subtle imprisonment instead.

Unless it's China.

/Mats

traven
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:17 am

nah,
it's funny, in french its "to sprinkle" https://www.conjugaisonfrancaise.com/asperger.html
(from latin, An aspergillum (less commonly, aspergilium or aspergil) is a liturgical implement used to sprinkle holy water)
in german, maybe it's referring to a location, or also stemming from latin ??
likely; via italian, asburgo dinastia, "Casa d'Asburgo", The House of Habsburg, also known as the House of Austria

8) 8) for that matter i'm more concerned all things "mental/psycho" stem from and return to ^^^Austria
- oldworldorder as usual, for more Neo-feudalism

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:33 am

I heard it before but it puzzled me. I mean, Asperger was of high opinion of his patients, describing them as "little professors" in a positive sense rather than the negative. So why would he describe so positively the very people he wanted to execute?

Could it be that he had two groups of patients: one group he wanted to exectue and the other group he was thinking highly of? And so the patients he described in his book are the ones that are part of the latter group? If so, then that means that people that have Asperger Syndrome have nothing to worry about in this regard since they are the kinds of patients he did "not" execute.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:36 am

mohsart wrote:
Nades wrote:

Unless it's China.

/Mats
The Chinese are much more focused on making phones than actually using them. People working in sweatshops across the world, imigrants in the US being sent to detention camps, people dying due to extreme poverty(especially disableds), & people dying in war & conflict seem like much more pressing concerns than another genocide happening.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:47 am

QFT wrote:
I heard it before but it puzzled me. I mean, Asperger was of high opinion of his patients, describing them as "little professors" in a positive sense rather than the negative. So why would he describe so positively the very people he wanted to execute?

Could it be that he had two groups of patients: one group he wanted to exectue and the other group he was thinking highly of? And so the patients he described in his book are the ones that are part of the latter group? If so, then that means that people that have Asperger Syndrome have nothing to worry about in this regard since they are the kinds of patients he did "not" execute.
I suspect that he was throwing the people who were extremely low fuctioning under the bus so to speak because he was trying to protect us Aspies. If he didn't step up to the plate, someone else would have who may of sent a lot more autistics to their death.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:54 am

nick007 wrote:
QFT wrote:

I suspect that he was throwing the people who were extremely low fuctioning under the bus so to speak because he was trying to protect us Aspies. If he didn't step up to the plate, someone else would have who may of sent a lot more autistics to their death.

Yeah, that's my interpretation as well.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 4:40 am

nick007 wrote:
QFT wrote:

Yes, thats what it seems to me too.

Although OP doesn't seem to agree, because OP links what he did to anti-intellectual bias. Clearly anti-intellectual bias would explain the bias against high functioning as opposed to low functioning. And that is the bias he didn't have.