Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:56 am

Good Morning Britain applauded for autism segment as Chris Packham opens up on diagnosis

Quote:
Good Morning Britain has been applauded for its autism segment, with Chris Packham and Jonathan Swain’s daughter Immie opening up about their diagnoses.

Immie was diagnosed with autism at the age of 15. Now 17, she conducted an investigation into the years-long waiting lists for a diagnosis in the UK.

Speaking about her own experience, Immie explained that her diangosis never changed her view about who she was, but made her understand herself better.

She warned that when people with autism aren’t diagnosed, ‘you’re not getting the help you need.’

Springwatch star Chris also appeared on the show to speak about his diagnosis, as he said: ‘The first thing to say is what Immie has done is tremendously important, speaking out as a young woman especially.’

From my own point of view, we have to remember than when I was Immie’s age, it was the 1970s…Many people of my generation weren’t,’ he added.

The key thing is it’s not also just about the diagnosis, it’s very much about the support that comes after that diagnosis,’ the 60-year-old continued, explaining that he would autistic people and their loved ones to look into the ‘rafts’ of support available immediately after diagnosis.

Many viewers have spoken out on the segment, with one writing: ‘Really great to see Autism Awareness on #GMB. I wish more people would talk about it being a spectrum though and that the effects differ.’

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman