Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Absolutely horrifying. I don't know how it takes 8 people dying and many more getting injured for them to finally stop the concert. What a complete disregard for human life.

I'm horrified too. It reminds me of the trampling deaths at a Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979, after which they were supposed to stop general admission ticketing.

I don't do outdoor music festivals or even one-act concerts outdoors.

On top of everything else I'm totally shocked they were allowed to operate a music festival during Covid?! It's bad enough they had a mass gathering without masks or distancing, but I also heard the headliner was bragging on Instagram before the show saying that it was "Oversold!", to hype the event.

It's terrifying and my heart breaks for those families.

Thought of both things too. The disastrous Who concert of the Seventies.

And also ... wondering about the covid angle. Everyone is supposed to be six feet apart...yet they were close enough to crush each other to death. So it may also turn out to be a superspreader event.

Two words:

Liability. Inquest.

It's really unbelievable. What's wrong with people?! (the promoters, the headliner, the security).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 2:37 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
the headliner

How exactly is Travis Scott in any way responsible?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 5:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Absolutely horrifying. I don't know how it takes 8 people dying and many more getting injured for them to finally stop the concert. What a complete disregard for human life.

I'm horrified too. It reminds me of the trampling deaths at a Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979, after which they were supposed to stop general admission ticketing.

I don't do outdoor music festivals or even one-act concerts outdoors.

On top of everything else I'm totally shocked they were allowed to operate a music festival during Covid?! It's bad enough they had a mass gathering without masks or distancing, but I also heard the headliner was bragging on Instagram before the show saying that it was "Oversold!", to hype the event.

It's terrifying and my heart breaks for those families.

Thought of both things too. The disastrous Who concert of the Seventies.

And also ... wondering about the covid angle. Everyone is supposed to be six feet apart...yet they were close enough to crush each other to death. So it may also turn out to be a superspreader event.

I think I read somewhere people were supposed to show vaccination proof to get in, but enforcement was lax. The festival was in Texas, which has been one of the loosest states when it comes to COVID protocols.

The deaths are so incredibly tragic. I’ve only been to one modern day music festival but I could see how it makes crowd density control impossible. As a parent I just can’t imagine finding out your child died trying to have fun at a concert.

You know, we’ve had more than a few examples these past few years of how Texas’ antipathy towards regulation can lead to needless death. It’s frustrating to me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 4:16 am

Sorry stand corrected, Travis Scott does encourage his crowds to get rowdy, Looks like he's "numero uno" to get sued by the parents of the dead children,

He's been banned from other venues such as Arkansas for inciting crowds to push forward.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 8:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sorry stand corrected, Travis Scott does encourage his crowds to get rowdy, Looks like he's "numero uno" to get sued by the parents of the dead children,

He's been banned from other venues such as Arkansas for inciting crowds to push forward.

Viewer discretion:

He literally stood there and watched a body get carried away, and instead of telling people they needed to move out he just stands there and sings "yeah .... " ? This poor young woman tried her best to stop his show by appealing for help.

It's extremely disturbing.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 952b7c237f

I hate to say, but people worry about the risk of others taking doctor-prescribed medication for Covid but they allow these super-spreader events to take place, and for people to be trampled to death so long as the show goes on?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:18 am

Given the genre of the "music", what else could anyone reasonably expect?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:22 am

Maybe these lawsuits will stop people from acting like idiots in the future......

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:25 am

Fnord wrote:

Because rock concerts haven't had a long history of these sorts of incidents?

What exactly does the genre of music have to do with anything?

I'd suggest the format of the show had more to do with the outcome than the style of music because plenty of rock bands playing similar types of shows have had mass casualty incidents with similar causes.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:29 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster

I hate when people don't learn from the mistakes of history.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This particular genre features violence and indifference to suffering in others.

Last edited by Fnord on 08 Nov 2021, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:31 am

This sort of thing happens in soccer stadiums, too.

Around the late 80s, there was a stampede in a soccer stadium that killed almost 100 people. I believe it was in Belgium.

The "genre of music" doesn't matter. There were stampedes in the 19th century during classical concerts.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:39 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This particular genre features violence and indifference to suffering in others.

While some artists within that genre do, it isn't a universal theme within hip-hop but further that observation is far more consistently true of other genres that so far thankfully haven't had an incident like this. (Death metal, for example. There's large, festival style death metal shows but they so far haven't had anything of this sort occur.)

I don't think you're familiar enough with hip-hop to make an informed generalization about the genre as a whole.

A better explanation for why Travis Scott neglects security and crowd control at shows is that he's mostly concerned about making money and marketing himself, that's always been who he is and it's no one else's fault but his own.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:42 am

Yeah, I doubt it's about the genre.

Live Nation has a history of shoddy concert promotion, oversold venues, and lawsuits for breaking capacity codes.

Ha -- The lawsuits have commenced.

https://pitchfork.com/news/travis-scott ... orld-2021/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:45 am

The first Rock-n-Roll concert, in 1952, featured a stampede because of a overselling of tickets. The concert had to be cancelled.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 08 Nov 2021, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:49 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I don't think you're familiar enough with hip-hop to make an informed generalization about the genre as a whole.
When I can tune in to any random Los Angeles FM station featuring that genre and hear profanity, threats of violence, descriptions of violence, and expressions of indifference to the suffering of others -- all as an expression of 'art' -- that (to me) is a pretty good indication that the genre sucks.[/color]
funeralxempire wrote:
A better explanation for why Travis Scott neglects security and crowd control at shows is that he's mostly concerned about making money and marketing himself, that's always been who he is and it's no one else's fault but his own.
Again, the genre...

:roll:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:56 am

Fnord wrote:
When I can tune in to any random Los Angeles FM station featuring that genre and hear profanity, threats of violence, descriptions of violence, and expressions of indifference to the suffering of others -- all as an expression of 'art' -- that (to me) is a pretty good indication that the genre sucks.

If I judged all rock based on the buttrock modern rock radio plays we'd both agree I was making an uninformed judgment based on the tip of the iceberg, right?

Same thing.

Fnord wrote:
Again, the genre...

:roll:

Yes, it's all the genre's fault and not the individual who made the decision's. :roll:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う